to think it's ok to wear skirts and dresses

(123 Posts)
kim147 Wed 17-Jul-13 20:34:37

Even though I haven't got the world's best legs which aren't perfectly smooth or beautiful?

Just checking because all the adverts seem to tell me that I need beautiful legs to make it a skirt day.

LadyClariceCannockMonty Fri 19-Jul-13 11:42:43

Lighthearted is not how your posts come across, Kitten. But anyway.

Tights in this weather, Grimma! She must have sweltered. I saw someone in shorts and tights on the tube and I felt ill with heat just looking at her.

KittensoftPuppydog Thu 18-Jul-13 21:08:44

Pretty much agree with most of you really. Dresses are great in this weather, just not too tight and short. For aesthetic and temperature reasons.

Oldraver Thu 18-Jul-13 20:42:55

I wear dresses even though my legs are a bit ropey sometimes unshaven. I do wear below knee as they are discoloured from eczema/psoriasis.

I confess I was ogling a woman today who was wearing a white see through cheesecloth dress, with lace french knickers. I could see all of her bum cheeks and though it wasn't a horrible sight..I dont think I would of dared

I can't imagine that I will get to 90 and regret wearing short skirts in my 30s, 40s, whatever. I'd be much more likely to regret not having done so, like I regret not wearing bikinis etc when I was 18 (and would have looked better in them than I ever could post pregnancy).

It's only legs and you can't even see them in long skirts/dresses.

I'm living in short shorts right now. My legs aren't what they were but fuck it. I'm not trying to impress anyone, just trying to not melt into a puddle, admittedly it would be a puddle of awesomeness but still... would rather not be a puddle, so the shorts (and skirts) are staying on!

Wear skirts or shorts. It's madness to cover your legs up in jeans in this weather.

I've been wearing a short skater style skirt today. My legs are pasty (and I have no intention of them being otherwise) and I think I look quite nice. All the women I've seen this week (of various ages and sizes) in skirts, shorts and dresses (of varying lengths and clinginess) have looked perfectly nice too. Much better than looking all sweaty in clothing you'd wear in winter.

Tbh, I don't actually notice other women's legs and tummies, wobbly or otherwise. I assume everyone is as uninterested in my legs as I am in theirs.

(Also on the basis of an MN thread I bought a bikini yesterday to wear on holiday rather than a swimsuit. I will show my pale skin and stretch marks to the world, and the world won't give a shit.)

gettingeasiernow Thu 18-Jul-13 20:09:03

Kitten I agree with you. Same age as Madonna here and very disappointed in her. I expected more somehow.

GrimmaTheNome Thu 18-Jul-13 19:34:17

Today in the park I saw a young woman who evidently didn't think it was OK to have bare legs with her mid-thigh dress... she was wearing tartan tights shock. Honestly, whatever veins, scars or cellulite some of us older women have we can't possibly look as bad as that! grin

MissMarplesBloomers Thu 18-Jul-13 19:00:40

SO to get back to appropriate clothing....anyone got any links to floaty maxi dresses/skirts? I've seen some lovely ones around recently. Although I usually wear linen trousers.

I find skirts, for me, are coolest & cover a multitude of sins, although I have been wearing long shorts today as I tripped while walking the dog on Monday & have a full length graze on my left shin Norty words were said! & anything full length catches it. grin

KittensoftPuppydog Thu 18-Jul-13 18:25:50

Oh, right, lady clarice
That was lighthearted so that's ok then.
I was being lighthearted too, when I said that people could look like munters and twats if they liked.
wink

LadyClariceCannockMonty Thu 18-Jul-13 16:47:02

Kitten, I didn't ACTUALLY mean I think you're comparable to a Nazi. It was light-hearted.

You've called people munters (with a grin, not a smile, which comes across as laughing at them) and, indirectly, called them twats too.

So yes, everyone's entitled to their opinion but people are just pointing out that you've expressed yours rather rudely.

OctopusPete8 Thu 18-Jul-13 15:52:47

I feel very self concious tall fat legs worst combination possible.

KittensoftPuppydog Thu 18-Jul-13 15:45:38

Thisisreallynot, you are young and therefore don't realise how attractive you are.
Don't waste your youth worrying. I bet you look great.

bettycocker Thu 18-Jul-13 15:33:53

KittensoftPuppydog , I know. I was agreeing with you. smile I would feel like a total knob wearing some of the things I see young people wearing.

I'm sure that older women look fine in short skirts and dresses too. It's not something that I see very often though.

Back2Two Thu 18-Jul-13 15:26:57

I think that this good weather is great for us all starting to relax about our bodies. As we see more flesh on display we realise that we're all the same but different and you start not to care so much about exposing a bit more. In this weather less is practical

NandH Thu 18-Jul-13 15:25:22

Yes grin ....although yesterday I was walking along the beach front with dc, I was wearing a strappy top and shorts (nothing hanging out!!!) as it was 30 degrees and bloody boiling and a old woman in a sodding coat and full length trousers told me to 'go and get dressed' ...I was so stunned I didn't have time to respond, I guessed you must have missed ALL the men with their tops off and some women wearing bikinis hmm

KittensoftPuppydog Thu 18-Jul-13 15:19:24

Sdt, I've been called a nazi and told to fuck off on this thread.
I thought this thread was canvassing opinions. You don't have to listen to mine.
I don't excuse myself from any of these restrictions, because I want to look nice and not like a twat.
Each to their own.

My young flesh does not look nice. I have seen older woman with better legs than me

KittensoftPuppydog Thu 18-Jul-13 15:14:43

Betty
That's exactly what I said confused

bettycocker Thu 18-Jul-13 15:11:51

Actually KittensoftPuppydog. Young flesh really does look nice regardless. During the hot weather we've had, I've noticed young women of all sizes in their skimpy summer clothes and they have all looked lovely.

...Well some people have been rather rude...... Yes - you, Kittensoft.

No armpits in office grin I dont think ankles should be out in McDonalds or elbows in KFC

KittensoftPuppydog Thu 18-Jul-13 14:51:15

Thisisreallynot, at 22 you can wear anything really, no matter what your shape is. Young flesh just looks nice. I've said earlier that 45 is a good cut off point for getting your thighs out.
At 22 I wore the shortest minis that I could, however being quite prude even then I'd also usually wore thick tights and flat shoes. (in the olden days it was fashionable).
Just to wind people up even further, I do not think that armpits should be on show in the office.

YummyYummyYum Thu 18-Jul-13 14:42:54

Forgot to say, it depends what you want. If you want to be comfortable, use the skirt/dress you want. If you want to look even better, look for a skirt/dress that will flatter your body shape.

YummyYummyYum Thu 18-Jul-13 14:40:30

I think dresses and skirts are flattering on most women, so I am sure you will look good. High waist trousers on the other hand...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now