to think it's ok to wear skirts and dresses

(123 Posts)
kim147 Wed 17-Jul-13 20:34:37

Even though I haven't got the world's best legs which aren't perfectly smooth or beautiful?

Just checking because all the adverts seem to tell me that I need beautiful legs to make it a skirt day.

Helpyourself Wed 17-Jul-13 21:05:32

I've just changed into shorts thanks to this thread. Wouldn't wear them to work, although I wear knee length skirts and bare legs.

MrsDeVere Wed 17-Jul-13 21:05:54

I am 46 and will wear what the fuck I like.
Ta very much

GrimmaTheNome Wed 17-Jul-13 21:07:03

What are you supposed to wear if not skirts, dresses or shorts in this weather? I hate 'warm weather' trousers and jeans are a no-no in this heat.

I'm mostly wearing skirts at the moment (I prefer below the knee, more comfortable), but shorts at the weekend - well, Saturday was at a sailing club where people appreciate your willingness to wade in to hold a painter more than the smoothness of your pins, and sunday was canoeing and paddling in a lake. Oh, and shorts for a some of our dog walks recently.

I'm 52 <hard stare at kitten>

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Wed 17-Jul-13 21:07:37

Fuck it, I don't care what people think. Im sorry if my legs offend people, but tough shit! Its too hot to care!

DrunkenButterfly Wed 17-Jul-13 21:07:55

YANBU I have just bought my first dress since losing lots of weight and will be flashing my short blue whiter-then-white legs (covered in bruises as well thanks to DD) tomorrow, and am well into my 40s as well smile

SaggyOldClothCatPuss Wed 17-Jul-13 21:09:10

I hope the smug people who judge end up with varicose veins and puffy ankles!

CinnamonAddict Wed 17-Jul-13 21:09:34

I wear shorts and skirts above knee, anything else would be torture (maybe maxi dress would be ok too).
My legs were very pale to start with and are not airbrush-perfect.
I don't watch TV so I don't know what they should look like grin

Go for it. We finally have a summer.

KittensoftPuppydog Wed 17-Jul-13 21:09:36

Oh honestly, don't you know?
Longer dresses are probably cooler anyway. I speak as someone approaching her mid fifties. I don't want to look muttony. Or like madonna.
Btw my legs are great.

I honestly think that most women look better in a skirt or dress (of an appropriate to them length) with bare legs, than they do in leggings or those awful baggy cropped trousers.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 17-Jul-13 21:14:12

I agree longer skirts are often cooler, but for some activities shorts are the only thing that works. Who cares what your legs look like if you're having fun?

Twit Wed 17-Jul-13 21:15:57

Ha ha I have finally at the age of 37 decided fuckit, I will wear a dress and if people can't take the sight of my legs it is their problem. Am pale and freckled all over so it's not like they're are a massive surprise. Besides I can't see them cos my norks block the view so ner.....

KittensoftPuppydog Wed 17-Jul-13 21:16:15

Last week I was on holiday and on the beach wearing bikini, shorts, etc. I wouldn't walk around town like that.
I was in a wet suit a lot of the time too...

WafflyVersatile Wed 17-Jul-13 21:16:30

Skirts seem to accentuate my big fat tummy. So I don't wear them.

hipposbelongoutside Wed 17-Jul-13 21:17:19

i dunno i wouldn't mind looking like madonna grin

KittensoftPuppydog Wed 17-Jul-13 21:19:34

Hippo, she looks gross. No one wants to see her stringy old ass surely. What would you think if a man went around in his pants at that age?

hipposbelongoutside Wed 17-Jul-13 21:44:46

i wouldn't think anything about it really

i don't think others would either. embrance your flesh kitten grin

KittensoftPuppydog Wed 17-Jul-13 21:50:00

Hmm, let me think, bono, sting, even Paul Simenon gyrating around in their y fronts. No thank you.

KittensoftPuppydog Wed 17-Jul-13 21:52:10

Having said that, I would touch the first two with yours anyway. Paul Simenon could get lucky, but he'd have to be properly dressed.

SunshineBossaNova Wed 17-Jul-13 21:56:46

I've been wearing shorts all week and I have grim legs. But fuck it, it's 30 degrees and I'm hot. Go for it!

Euphemia Wed 17-Jul-13 22:18:56

I have summer skirts I haven't worn for three years, so damn right they're coming out this summer, 46 year-old white legs with cankles or not!

Euphemia Wed 17-Jul-13 22:21:11

Do you find you stay cooler naturally, Kitten, being so shallow? Blood vessels closer to the surface, and all that.

Cheddars Wed 17-Jul-13 22:30:27

The great thing about having a heat wave in this country is that you don't have to pre-tan your legs. It's very liberating.

We're all too self-concious to do it on holiday but the Great British attitude of 'ah, fuck it' is alive and well. grin

Ham69 Wed 17-Jul-13 23:14:01

God help me, kitten. I'm a year off 45 and wouldn't think twice about wearing shorts. I must be getting soooo desperate!

SinisterBuggyMonth Wed 17-Jul-13 23:31:11

I officially have the worst legs in the world, 2 dress sizes bigger than my top half, celulite down to my ancles, bruise at the touch of a feather. This week I've bought some flloaty trousers and maxi dresses to wear to work. That is a big deal as I usually live in jeans, as they dont show the wobble. Literally I have never seen any woman with legs worse than mine and I am only bloody 37. I happily swap with a woman twice my age.

Btw I am typing this sat in my pants (only because I am on my own)

GrimmaTheNome Wed 17-Jul-13 23:39:36

Ham, but Kitten has said she does wear shorts too... so its merely a question of where is permissible. Not many women would wear them into an office I'd have thought (the tailored sort look less comfortable/practical than a lot of skirts).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now