... to think she is? Just a little...

(40 Posts)

www.cambridge-news.co.uk/News/Young-mum-told-to-stop-breastfeeding-at-Cambridge-pool-because-of-no-food-or-drink-rule-20130717055500.htm

basically a mum feeding her 9 month old (so not a newborn) actually in the pool.

I'm a bf peer supporter, feed my toddler, dying to pick a fight with someone about my right to feed anywhere, so not exactly anti bf, but if the rule is a blanket rule against food in the water and she could have got out and fed him with impunity at the side of the pool then perhaps she's making a stink over nothing?

FirstStopCafe Wed 17-Jul-13 20:43:15

She is being ridiculous. I bf my son and am very pro public breastfeeding but I don't think it's appropriate to feed a child in a hot tub. She should have got out and fed him poolside

I've just read the article and they didn't even insist that she stopped, they asked her to and she refused. Now she's complaining that they looked at her, I bet they did! and made her feel uncomfortable silly woman! I'd like to write to this manager and tell him that not all breastfeeding mums are as stupid as this one.

HoldMeCloserTonyDanza Wed 17-Jul-13 21:29:16

OMG, this is my local pool!

The "hot tub" isn't really a proper hot tub/jacuzzi. It's part of three interconnected little pools for toddlers. It's about two feet deep with lots of bubbles. The same temperature as the rest of the toddler pools.

DoJo Wed 17-Jul-13 21:30:05

She is BU - this pool have regular naked swimming sessions, so it's not like they are averse to a bit of boob showing, but this just seems like pointless protesting of the kind that harms the real campaign to make breastfeeding more acceptable. Almost tempted to turn up at their 'nurse' in and go into the pool and breast feed at the pool side just to prove that there is no issue here!

mittensthekitten Wed 17-Jul-13 21:43:46

It's a bodily fluid and a 'food' of sorts. She's being ridiculous and thinks because she shouts 'they wouldn't let me breastfeed' that everyone will get up in arms and support her.

Plus - who wants to eat breast-shaped muffins?!

katydid02 Wed 17-Jul-13 21:49:44

She was being unreasonable. I did extended breast feeding and fed anywhere and everywhere but would never have dreamt of doing so in a pool/hot tub/jacuzzi.

I KNEW this thread would be about this story well I guessed.

YANBU

OhDearNigel Wed 17-Jul-13 22:11:10

Im a militant Bfer but i would not feed in a jacuzzi. Just for once i think the were right to ask her to stop

PoppadomPreach Wed 17-Jul-13 22:15:25

YANBU - she is trying to pick a fight and get her 15 minutes of fame. It's a shame as there are women who are "told off" for breastfeeding in perfectly acceptable places and it is these cases which should be publicised. She is actually making it harder as it makes all public breast feeders (as I was) seem somewhat militant.

foreverondiet Wed 17-Jul-13 23:07:30

Totally reasonable not to breastfeed in jacuzzi - at my gym under 16s not allowed it. She could have sat on the side.

ArabellaBeaumaris Wed 17-Jul-13 23:11:18

dojo regular naked swimming sessions?! Is this the one near Parkers piece?

LadyBeagleEyes Wed 17-Jul-13 23:19:46

Yuk to naked swimming.
I hope they all shower before they go in, all those leakages and skiddy bums.

ArabellaBeaumaris Thu 18-Jul-13 07:05:44

Does a swimming costume really make much difference though? They are permeable after all.

MrsLouisTheroux Thu 18-Jul-13 07:42:09

Idiot. Unhygienic for the baby and taking 'I WILL BF whenever and wherever I want' to the extreme.

chickenfactory Thu 18-Jul-13 09:07:41

I thought the breast feed anywhere law (scotland) was anywhere a baby is normally allowed. So I couldn't pitch up to a nightclub for example.
Regular hot tub wouldn't be somewhere for under 16's.
But as someone has said its the same temp and connected to toddler pools, it is somewhere babies are allowed. Still ick though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now