To want DH to use a car seat for DD?

(32 Posts)
SenoritaViva Wed 17-Jul-13 18:30:35

DH was annoyed because I'd been grumpy.

He was taking dd somewhere and I said she couldn't sit in the front of his car due to his air bags. He said they were switched off, so fair enough but I then said she needed her car seat. He drove off pissed off with me saying 'you're unnecessarily putting her life at risk' which he replied no I'm not.

Was I over reacting? Agreed I was grumpy but I think he's compromising our daughter's safety (she's 6).

To be fair they're only driving 3 miles but they cross a very busy road...

(The car seat was in my car and is just a bumper so would've taken 1 min or less to get)

PearlyWhites Fri 19-Jul-13 19:08:29

If she is six the air bag should be ON

Xihha Fri 19-Jul-13 18:05:35

It doesn't matter how far he was going, accidents can happen at any point in your journey. You were not over reacting at all.

TheFallenNinja Fri 19-Jul-13 17:58:53

Utterly reckless and lazy.

Most accidents occur within a few miles of home.

She is well within the range of legally requiring a seat.

DH was being a petulant arse.

specialsubject Fri 19-Jul-13 13:30:11

it's the law. Why doesn't it apply to him? Who is he to be outside the law?

yes, we didn't sit in car seats as kids. Safety has improved.

YoniBottsBumgina Fri 19-Jul-13 12:53:17

Well personally I would rather be overcautious than under. They probably don't make a difference 1cm under the legal height but people's body size varies. Some adults are under 135cm, some DC will reach that at age 8. I'd rather see all 7yos on boosters and small 8+ yr olds may need one for comfort more than safety. The law makes sense to me at the upper end. At the lower end I'm glad it's changing, I think 9kg is far too small to forward face yet many parents do as soon as their baby hits that weight.

lljkk Fri 19-Jul-13 11:23:01

I wouldn't care about a one-off but it's a very bad habit to get into, iyswim.

I agree that the Superfreakonomics thing needs more testing. Which will never happen because the crash test facilities rely on the car seat and car tests to make money. They therefore have an incentive to find the result that keeps their cash cow in cash.

I'm not saying that car seats don't save lives. Rear facing seats save lives and younger children definitely need different restraints to adults. However, I don't think the current system approaches validity and I am very dubious about the age and weight seeming to go up and up. Do booster seats really save lives? At 11 yo and 134 cm tall? I'm very dubious.

YoniBottsBumgina Thu 18-Jul-13 20:01:51

The superfreakonomics thing is a bit suspect I think. I haven't read the book but understand that they tested 3 point belts and car seats with crash test dummies. Well, firstly, children aren't dummies and tend to move around in a car, fighting with siblings, picking up dropped toys, falling asleep. A car seat appropriate to their age helps to restrain them from moving too much and rendering the seatbelt useless.

Also, I wonder if it was tested with 3 point belts as installed in a standard car, or fitted to the dummy. I don't know a single 3 year old who could sit on a standard car seat where the 3 point adult belt fit them properly - the diagonal would be situated near the head or neck, if not over them. Again, an age appropriate car seat either has built in belts which fit the child or guide the adult seat so that it is safe and comfortable for them.

pointythings Wed 17-Jul-13 22:03:09

Car seats save lives. The law is there for a reason. My DDs were over 135 cm by age 8 but stayed in boosters beyond that until the seat belt sat properly on them - i.e. not across their throat.

DD2 (age 10) is 149 cm and still likes her booster because being that bit higher up helps with car sickness. DD1 (12) has only been out of her booster for about a year (for the same reason, but she's now 163 cm and would be stuck against the ceiling in a booster).

MissStrawberry Wed 17-Jul-13 21:57:54

See, so cross I missed off a 0.

I am of the opinion that a lot of car seat information and law for children is hysterical and not scientifically valid. Crap link. However, it is the law and I abide by it.

MissStrawberry Wed 17-Jul-13 21:56:05

3 miles, 30 miles, 30 miles, irrelevant.

It is the law but also why doesn't he want to do all he can to make sure she is the safest she can be?

He is a twat.

Beamur Wed 17-Jul-13 21:54:04

Your DH is a prize twat and putting his child unnecessarily at risk.
Seat belt at neck high is a major no no.

Hulababy Wed 17-Jul-13 21:51:07

Nothing to do with weight. Law is to do with height and age.

I doubt very many 6 year olds are above the height of 135cm.

they have to be either taller than 135cm or 12 years old to not need some sort of car seat so he is being an arse

ClaraOswald Wed 17-Jul-13 21:45:02

Your DH is being a twit.

YoniBottsBumgina Wed 17-Jul-13 21:34:25

True, but if he thinks it's safe and you don't, that's subejctive. A law isn't subjective, you can't argue against a law.

SenoritaViva Wed 17-Jul-13 19:21:29

For me it's not really the law breaking its the safety. Surely the law was put in place to keep children safer?

If your DD is under 135cm then your DH is a tit and is breaking the law. End of debate.

kim147 Wed 17-Jul-13 18:55:05

I think he will be very soon.

Bunbaker Wed 17-Jul-13 18:51:28

Is your husband not aware of the current laws regarding booster seats - here?

StuntGirl Wed 17-Jul-13 18:49:46

Isn't there a law about it?

SenoritaViva Wed 17-Jul-13 18:37:48

Definitely under 135, I'd say 112-116

If she is under 135cm then YANBU. In fact, even if she is OVER 135cm, yanbu.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now