To want DH to use a car seat for DD?

(32 Posts)
SenoritaViva Wed 17-Jul-13 18:30:35

DH was annoyed because I'd been grumpy.

He was taking dd somewhere and I said she couldn't sit in the front of his car due to his air bags. He said they were switched off, so fair enough but I then said she needed her car seat. He drove off pissed off with me saying 'you're unnecessarily putting her life at risk' which he replied no I'm not.

Was I over reacting? Agreed I was grumpy but I think he's compromising our daughter's safety (she's 6).

To be fair they're only driving 3 miles but they cross a very busy road...

(The car seat was in my car and is just a bumper so would've taken 1 min or less to get)

lljkk Fri 19-Jul-13 11:23:01

I wouldn't care about a one-off but it's a very bad habit to get into, iyswim.

YoniBottsBumgina Fri 19-Jul-13 12:53:17

Well personally I would rather be overcautious than under. They probably don't make a difference 1cm under the legal height but people's body size varies. Some adults are under 135cm, some DC will reach that at age 8. I'd rather see all 7yos on boosters and small 8+ yr olds may need one for comfort more than safety. The law makes sense to me at the upper end. At the lower end I'm glad it's changing, I think 9kg is far too small to forward face yet many parents do as soon as their baby hits that weight.

specialsubject Fri 19-Jul-13 13:30:11

it's the law. Why doesn't it apply to him? Who is he to be outside the law?

yes, we didn't sit in car seats as kids. Safety has improved.

Most accidents occur within a few miles of home.

She is well within the range of legally requiring a seat.

DH was being a petulant arse.

TheFallenNinja Fri 19-Jul-13 17:58:53

Utterly reckless and lazy.

Xihha Fri 19-Jul-13 18:05:35

It doesn't matter how far he was going, accidents can happen at any point in your journey. You were not over reacting at all.

PearlyWhites Fri 19-Jul-13 19:08:29

If she is six the air bag should be ON

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now