To think shops are not helping themselves?

(52 Posts)
Changebagsandgladrags Wed 17-Jul-13 18:27:58

Went shopping today for holiday clothes for me. These were bin high street shops and department stores.

Spotted some nice shorts, longish rather than bum cheek skimming. Four racks of size 6 and one size 8. Although bum cheek ones available up to size 20.

Then spotted a nice dress, there were six of themin size 20 and 22.

Would it not be sensible to stock a range of sizes? So now my money will go to Asos or similar online 'shop'.

AmberLeaf Wed 17-Jul-13 19:33:46

an = and.

ClaraOswald Wed 17-Jul-13 19:36:57

Buyers will do what they want to.

I think that partly it would mean having to order more full sizing sets just to get the extra in the more popular sizes. So do they take a chance and end up with too many of the sizes at either side of the ratio pack and end up not making a good profit, or do they take a chance that perhaps the customer might go for a different style?

I wouldn't want to be a buyer.

HarrietSchulenberg Wed 17-Jul-13 19:48:17

One of the many reasons why I don't shop on the high street. I don't want to buy clothes 3 months before I can wear them. They all look the same anyway.

whatwoulddexterdo Wed 17-Jul-13 19:55:33

@lynette. Try H&M. I just bought 3 pairs of shorts size 13-14 at £7 a pair for my DS.

littlewhitebag Wed 17-Jul-13 19:58:34

Actually - yes i do expect to be able to buy shorts when the weather is nice. I never buy in advance, i buy what i need when i need it. Drives me mental. I need shorts for my holiday in two weeks but i can't get any.

Erato Wed 17-Jul-13 20:04:09

This is why I buy everything online. It's cheaper (even with postage) and it's less annoying - I can filter by my size and not have to wade through mountains of crap to find what I'm looking for. Of course, I do keep Royal Mail in business with the deliveries and returns!

Lj8893 Wed 17-Jul-13 20:07:41

Erato,

If you are buying from an online store that also has high street shops it shouldn't be cheaper! The shops should match the price for you.

Also think of the stores that keep closing down because they arnt making sales because everyone keeps buying online instead. Lots and lots of job losses.

I buy online a fair bit but try my best to buy in store as much as possible to keep people in jobs!

Changebagsandgladrags Wed 17-Jul-13 20:35:45

But if you can't buy it in the shops because it's not there then you have to buy it online. I'm now on the websites of the stores, they have stock. But tempted now to just get it all from one place so I get one delivery.

Erato Wed 17-Jul-13 20:36:28

Well I usually only look in the sale section, and you're more likely to get the thing you want in your size on sale online than in store. And since the high street is depressingly samey I can only find interesting smaller designers online.

Technically, yes, I suppose IF I could find it in store it would be the same price. But that's hypothetical since I can never seem to find what I want in store.

I don't think there are really that many job losses, do you have evidence for that? Lots of high street stores are still making profits, it's only the ones that are a bit crap or ones that sell things that no one buys any more (CDs for example) that are going under. Which is no bad thing.

And in any case, retail sales isn't exactly a job people train for years to do, so surely they can find another unskilled job to do? I know that sounds unsympathetic, but things have to change and move on otherwise we'd still be stuck in the industrial era with stinky factories and 18 hour days...

perplexedpirate Wed 17-Jul-13 20:42:04

I'm afraid I find online shopping the only way to get what I want these days. Fast, convenient, cheap.
YANBU OP. I fear the high street is dead. sad

Lj8893 Wed 17-Jul-13 20:44:58

I work in retail so erm thanks for that I guess!

In regards to evidence, yes the company I work for is still doing well but because many customers now choose to buy online (from the company's website) it means that some stores are suffering and have either been closed or are at risk of closing. I know other people who work for other companies who are experiencing the same thing.

Absolutely if the store can't provide what you want, then I understand buying online, but I always ask if the store can order it in for me first as that order will go against the store (And in some cases the employees) sales targets.

KobayashiMaru Wed 17-Jul-13 20:47:38

thats whats left, not what they decided to stock!

slapandpickle Wed 17-Jul-13 20:55:29

There is never enough size 12 or 14 clothes or size 6 shoes. Most common sizes bought. Bane of my existence! (usually fluctuate between 12 and 14 so really can't win!) Solution: have a French and Saunders horse riding figure... 10 top, 16 bottom!

slapandpickle Wed 17-Jul-13 20:56:42

on reflection that probably is not a French and Saunders joke, now rofling away at my own dappyness.

softlysoftly Wed 17-Jul-13 21:45:59

Yanbu it drives me batshit that you have to order stock so far in advance that you have no clue what the weather will actually be and no way to react to it therefore rolling out autumn crap in a heatwave angry

But if consumers didn't expect clothes for pennies buyers might have more flexibility to order closer to home and seasons could reflect the actual weather.

Ixia Wed 17-Jul-13 21:59:48

Ebay is the answer.

AmberLeaf Wed 17-Jul-13 23:19:47

thats whats left, not what they decided to stock!

If people keep trying to buy things and a shop keeps not having a particular size then the shop didn't get enough in.

I know generally it is nothing to do with the staff in the shop, it's down to the buyers at head office.

If in the sale you always find the same sizes [lots of size 6-8 IME], it is because they have ordered too many of that size/that size i not in demand.

If when things are not even yet on sale a particular size is always out of stock, then they aren't ordering in enough of that size.

They don't always have to order in multiples of sizes either.

If you're a size 6 or size 22 you're laughing.

Lweji Thu 18-Jul-13 00:37:23

If you're a size 6 or size 22 you're laughing.

That's not my experience on sales.
I have a hard time finding anything on 8s and 6s and often buy early in the season because later those sizes are difficult to find.

Unless shops now are stocking loads of 6s.

Or maybe it's the type of clothes I prefer that go faster in my size.

maddening Thu 18-Jul-13 06:44:49

The other problem they have is once they run out they don't have an idea of what sales they are missing - as either the customer doesn't ask or if they do they get a snippy/sarcastic reply and I doubt the staff are logging it to pass back to the buying teams.

AmberLeaf Thu 18-Jul-13 18:03:54

So its the fault of sales staff?

IME of being sales staff, our input to head office was generally ignored.

I was never snippy or sarcastic either.

Panzee Thu 18-Jul-13 18:07:30

They can get things in quick. I forget which shop it was, something like New Look or Top Shop. One of the bosses was at a fashion show, liked something, drew a copied version of it and it was on sale within a couple of days. Obviously they don't want to do all lines like that, they need to plan their finances, book factory time etc, but it's not impossible.

maddening Thu 18-Jul-13 22:46:27

amber - was responding re the "Well we do have other customers who buy sandals in size 6" comment - pretty snippy/ sarcastic - unhelpful and employers none the wiser. I didn't say YOU were snippy or sarcastic.

And not saying it is the sales staff at fault but if the shop does not create a culture of feeding back missed sales then they will never learn for next time - and more shoppers will go away from the highstreet - I don't have time to go asking people, searching for an item I want to find out my size isn't there etc and trawling round town - not to mention petrol and parking etc when I can filter out and just view what is actually in, in my size.

Mintyy Thu 18-Jul-13 22:54:35

I really don't like buying online. I much prefer to go in to the shops. I just don't fancy buying autumn clothing in fucking July! I mean is it really that much to ask?

OneLittleToddleTerror Thu 18-Jul-13 22:56:40

Not my experience about smaller sizes either. I am size 8 and have given up shopping on the high street. They never have 8 or XS in store.

I have much better luck with shoes on the high street as I am size 4. I guess that is small side of normal, like a 10 in clothes.

OneLittleToddleTerror Thu 18-Jul-13 22:58:46

Oh and like lweji I need to buy ahead because small sizes go very quickly.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now