Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To tell you all

(20 Posts)
Lweji Thu 18-Jul-13 14:03:30

So, did you find a drone or a bee?

Bees are ALL female. grin

No mouth to mouth?

Just glad this story didn't have a sting in the tail.

CunningAtBothEnds Thu 18-Jul-13 13:14:28

Totally you are obviously in possession of a floral scent, queen of bees!

TotallyBursar Thu 18-Jul-13 00:51:41

I wish bees had more respect for personal space.
Every dog walk I either get bees or butterflies landing on my head & just chilling.
All fine when yomping through the woods but I have to do a weird coaxing sort of waft so they bugger off but don't think I'm trying to hurt them & sting. Tonight it was 10 minutes because one decided I meant walk to the other side of my head and sit there. I did not.
I am a keen bee saver but I'd like it if they didn't want to live on me.

What I've got on my head that is so attractive I dread to think seeing as most of our bees in the garden stop for a refreshing sup of dog piss hmm
I hope Dave got home safely!

Tittypulumpcious Wed 17-Jul-13 20:52:51

Here's the info

bees

CunningAtBothEnds Wed 17-Jul-13 20:36:33

Butterflys scare me blush

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 17-Jul-13 20:36:21

So how do you save a bee then? How do you know if it's dying or just off colour?

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 17-Jul-13 20:35:42

I like a bee and a butterfly myself. Sadly today in my garden I saw a monsterous spider had caught a butterfly in his web and was "hugging" it. sad

At least it wasn't Eric

CunningAtBothEnds Wed 17-Jul-13 20:12:37

Glad it isnt just me, Dave has now flown away, in all his dave-the-bee glory smile

Tittypulumpcious Wed 17-Jul-13 19:17:46

I also saw this and told people about saving the bees! Great piece of info smile

iamadoozermum Wed 17-Jul-13 19:11:01

DS3 and I saved a bee the other day too because of the bee thread. DS3 very proudly tells people about the bee medicine because the bee was out of energy and loved watching the bee feed. So useful smile

BikeRunSki Wed 17-Jul-13 18:56:36

Sorry! blush

CunningAtBothEnds Wed 17-Jul-13 18:33:01

Bike i wrote Dcat not DS, although he did assist the rescue!

Mama its inherited wisdom but seems to of worked as dave (very Bee sounding name I feel?) is about ready to get going now i think not that im sat here obsessively watching,oh no i just mixed up a teaspoon of sugar in an egg cup with water and balled up kitchen roll in it, then squeezed a few drops next to Dave, then he eventually climbed on it.

Apologies to bee allergists, im allergic to coconuts but in my defence they are ugly so easier to dislike! smile

I remembered to check the paddling pool the other day because of that thread. Fished out a soggy bee and put him on a flower. He flew off eventually. smile

Crane flies are doomed mama; they only live for 1 day (I think)

RaisingChaotic Wed 17-Jul-13 18:30:06

That would be D cat Bike

Yes, I read that on some thread but haven't seen any bees in distress.

Buzzardbird Wed 17-Jul-13 18:28:24

The other night I actually shared my bed with a white tailed bee as it was fast asleep and I didn't want to wake it. It then woke up to a breakfast of sugary water and flew out the window to start its day smile
pulled back the covers to find I was also sharing my bed with a spider, its like zippedy doo day in my bed!

BikeRunSki Wed 17-Jul-13 18:25:21

As someone who is allergic to bee stings, I am finding it hard to be impressed. Sorry. Although I am impressed that your DS was fiddling with it.

MamaChubbyLegs Wed 17-Jul-13 18:24:37

shock

Which thread was this?? I want to rescue bees too!

(Will it work on crane flies? They are dying all over my house and I'd rather they didn't!)

CunningAtBothEnds Wed 17-Jul-13 18:18:19

That MN changes the world?

About 20 mins ago, i noticed DCat fiddling with something, turned out to be a woozy looking bee. Thanks to the thread the other day, I reacued and revived him! (Sugar water tissue) i'm now watching him come slowly back to life.

For such a small creature its really interesting, and now thats one more bee in the world.

MN has taught me a lot but some how this is most awesome! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now