To think this is too much money for a school holiday?

(51 Posts)
outragedofsuburbia Wed 17-Jul-13 16:34:33

So this will be a week away in year 6. £485???? It is to a European country (I am being deliberately vague).

Have I lost perspective or is this shedloads? That is not the actual cost per head, there is some sponsorship and fundraising and if this does not go to plan it will cost more.

WorrySighWorrySigh Wed 17-Jul-13 19:54:15

I think the problem with these trips is that over the years there has been a steady inflation of these trips. Back in the dark ages (when I was young) there were not the residential trips which are on offer now.

Schools get sold the 'big' trips by company marketeers who convince schools that their pupils need these experiences as part of their development. Plus I suspect that some HTs hear that XYZ school down the road is offering a particular trip and want to compete.

I dislike the suggestion that if there is a case of genuine need that the school may help out. I dislike the school dictating to parents how they will spend their money. Even £20/month may mean that families are having to do without something else without being in a position to get assistance from the school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now