AIBU to wonder if my puppy is G&T?

(39 Posts)
EmpressOfTheSevenOceans Wed 17-Jul-13 12:52:50

DW and I were doing some training with Maggi last night & when told to lie down (having just got up from lying down in order to sit), she looked at us & said something that we both agreed sounded like 'Fuck off.'

Is this normal? Should we be impressed at her eloquence or worried about her language? (She's a Yorkie / poodle cross if that makes any difference).

EmpressOfTheSevenOceans Mon 22-Jul-13 16:17:34

Jux, I wouldn't put anything past her.....

BabyMakesMyEyesGoSleepy Mon 22-Jul-13 14:49:48

My dog is lazy and a bit stupid. He says Woo cause he's too lazy to bark properly. We bring him for his evening drag to the corner and carry him back. He once escaped although we thought dognapped due to him having to move his lazy arse only to find him sat on the middle of the road outside the house holding up traffic. The only time I can recall him getting excited about something was the day dc1 dropped a bag of malteasers cause he loves chocolate and if its in your pocket he will sniff you to death.

Jux Mon 22-Jul-13 08:09:14

I imagine she's been in touch with the Tate?

Empress that's performance art surely!

Turniptwirl Sat 20-Jul-13 23:23:17

I love stupid dogs myself. I know a GSD who just tilts his head whenever his owner issues a command like he's thinking "I really really want to do what you're asking but I have no idea what that is", he's very placid and good natured just s but dim!

My own beloved chi is my little idiot :-) he went through a phase of throwing his toy in his bed (a travel cot), climbing on the back of the sofa so he could jump in after it, then crying to be taken out of his bed, then repeating the whole thing two minutes later!

Met a newf once who didn't like to swim but would wade chest deep into the water and bark at his owner to have balls thrown. He had no intention of catching or fetching, he just liked them being thrown.

My friends boxer is actually pretty bright but doesn't really get the concept of fetch. When she plays with my chi, he runs after the ball but its hers so is too big for him to pick up, she runs after him, he touches the ball then runs back, she ignores the ball and follows him.

Slavetothechild Sat 20-Jul-13 22:54:34

Mine barks and howl along if you shout Rooney !!! Odd as we are chelsea fans so obviously not g and t !!!!!

2rebecca Sat 20-Jul-13 22:13:30

I wondered who was feeding their puppy a G&T as well!
Do some people really inhabit a world where they see "G&T" and think "gifted and talanted"?

EmpressOfTheSevenOceans Sat 20-Jul-13 22:10:06

She is very cute grin and discovering new areas of interest to keep her brain busy. At the vet yesterday she worked with a lab and a dalmatian to create an original work of concept art using their leads and human legs.

PresidentServalan Fri 19-Jul-13 11:50:29

Sounds g&t to me (and super cute too!) Are there any local advanced dog schools where she could be sufficiently mentally stretched? Or perhaps you could contact Mensa on her behalf! grin

KittensoftPuppydog Thu 18-Jul-13 20:57:59

Staffies aren't that vocal but cry like little babies.

Jux Thu 18-Jul-13 20:31:06

Oooooooh, yes. Intelligence seeping from every pore. Clearly a veritable Einstein of Caninedom.

(aw, she's so cute!)

EmpressOfTheSevenOceans Thu 18-Jul-13 19:10:52

Oops. Now I have, thanks Jux.

Jux Thu 18-Jul-13 15:42:05

I can't see your profile sad, have you made it public?

EmpressOfTheSevenOceans Thu 18-Jul-13 14:57:53

I've got a couple of pics on my profile now if anyone's interested grin.

Maggi hasn't really got the concept of fetch yet either. It's more run after toy, play with it for a bit and then drop it so that someone can collect it and throw it for her again.

I played her at her own game this morning, though. She barked at me & I barked back. Her head snapped up & she stared at me in such disbelief that I'm now wondering exactly what I said...

Frustrated I have a golden who doesn't quite grasp fetch! He'll run after the ball and then run back to me looking all proud and happy, except he'll have left the ball behind. Or he will run after ball, get distracted and go in the wrong direction. Or bring the ball back halfway, get distracted, drop ball, wander off.

Owllady Wed 17-Jul-13 15:39:19

yabu
she needs to learn how to fart to the tune of happy birthday first before being labelled completely g&t

Mind you a cooker that went "a BIRD! a BIRD!" when you put a roast chicken in it has potential - Dragons Den, d'you think?

Can I train either of my BDs to make a GnT, I'm sure the sun's over the yardarm.

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Wed 17-Jul-13 14:56:04

melanie I read that as "my cooker" and was rather worried about you. grin

My cocker definitely goes "a BIRD! a BIRD!" when she sees a feathered creature.

DiseasesOfTheSheep Wed 17-Jul-13 14:12:29

Hmm mine just jumps around the field gaily with a rabbit leg sticking out of his mouth. He didn't even catch the rabbit...

He can open and shut doors on command and will say "nooooooo" if you ask him to do something he doesn't want to do grin

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Wed 17-Jul-13 13:36:42

My dog didn't graduate puppy class because he won't lie-down on command. And won't fetch a ball.
He's a Labrador he really should be capable of the basics.

That said he makes a fantastic hoover and can rip apart a cuddly toy in seconds.

LilacPeony Wed 17-Jul-13 13:32:25

Hmm I'm not sure. What levels did your dog get in its SATs before I decide if it is G&T.

Xihha Wed 17-Jul-13 13:27:28

Having read what all your dogs are up to I'm slightly concerned that mine may be very behind, all he does is find smelly things to roll in, sleep on the clean washing and get stuck under the coffee table because he still hasn't worked out that hes bigger than the cat (hes a husky/irish wolfhound cross) does anyone know of any good private tutors for dogs?

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Wed 17-Jul-13 13:18:58

If she (the dog) is a gin and tonic, or been on the g&t it would go some way to explaining the foul language. grin

EmpressOfTheSevenOceans Wed 17-Jul-13 13:17:20

Jux, I just asked her and got a "humph" as she snuggled into a more comfortable position on DD's hoodie.

Back to work. I'll post some pictures later grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now