Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To think that if you are going to charge a pound for a mug of hot water, you should make it clear?

(233 Posts)
pussycatwillum Wed 17-Jul-13 09:50:15

Yesterday I went out for lunch with a group of old ladies. One of them only ever drinks hot water. The waitress provided this for her. We then had lunch and asked for the bill.
The mug of hot water was charged at one pound.
The lady concerned was a) not happy to be asked to pay so much, although she did concede that she would have happily paid 50p as presumably they do have overheads to pay.
b) cross that nowhere on the menu was it mentioned and the waitress did not say 'There will be a charge of a pound for that, madam' which would have given her the chance to say no.
So was she being unreasonable?
It was at a place I have been to lots of times and when I mentioned that she wasn't happy the waitress immediately deducted the charge, but I think this was to avoid a scene.
Is it reasonable to charge for hot water, and is one pound a reasonable amount?

I had already sent ds to his dad's but it was pretty hairy. I couldn't possibly have defended it by myself. Unless I threw poncy tea bags at 'em!

Wallison Thu 18-Jul-13 23:09:07

You could have thrown hot water at them. You'd have to have charged them for it though. Then things would have got tricky.

In all seriousness, sorry to hear you got caught up in the riots. That must have been pretty damn scary.

well,i think they were going to do the bookies next, so maybe they would have been flush with some winnings...

Yeah. It was. One of the reasons I gave up the business. I couldn't face that again. Horrible thing is, you know they are your neighbours, and possibly even customers.

wonder if the real reason for the riots was actually anger at being charged for hot water???!!! hm.

Wallison Thu 18-Jul-13 23:21:57

Yes, people didn't travel to riot, did they? I think that was the worst aspect of them; it was directed at people around them, people who owned shops and other businesses in the same place as they lived.

Anyway, I'm pooped now so must go up to bed. I often think with fondness of that and other bar jobs though - I would be a barmaid again in a heartbeat if it paid better and I could get the childcare to cover it - I wouldn't even mind working unsocial hours, because it's such a sociable job.

it is great, I do miss it.
Sleep well.

pussycatwillum Fri 19-Jul-13 09:38:12

wonder if the real reason for the riots was actually anger at being charged for hot water???!!! grin

I think we're done with the hot water discussion now, but I was a bit surprised to see that this thread has evolved into a discussion about the joys of Islington confused

Probably a bit late to say this, MmeDefarge, but I suspect most of us would have applauded if you had gone and thrown up ON the antisocial skunk smoker - myself included. We can disagree on hot water/teabag provision, but there is nothing I hate more than the smell of someone else's smoke in my space.

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now