Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To hate Windows 8 with the whole of my heart ..... and more .....

(83 Posts)
lookoveryourshouldernow Wed 17-Jul-13 00:52:30

My system has just automatically upgraded on my PC and wiped my drivers etc etc - and it no longers functions. Rolling back doesn't seem to help as I now have a blank screen on re-booting...

I have hated it from day one and I hate even more as I can't do anything.... It was impossible to build back up discs from Day 1 and had to get a a set from the PC supplier - if i use those now I shall loose everything...

I do hope that whoever designed this pile of C**P has a very uncomfortable couple of days as I shall be "projecting nasty thoughts"......
as I try to rebuild my PC - pull off my photos and important contacts and roll back to at least Windows 7.....

RustyBear Wed 17-Jul-13 22:57:47

Office stopping working after a month is nothing to do with Windows 8 - it's that you now get a trial version instead of the full one - but it'd be the same if you bought a Windows 7 one. Also Hotmail changing to outlook isn't Windows 8 either.

I like my new touchscreen windows 8 PC, but maybe that's because I've been doing most of my stuff on an iPad for the last year, so I'm used to swiping between screens. I do tend to go back to the desktop to use Internet explorer as I prefer that version to the fullscreen one you get from the Start screen.

DH doesn't like the Start screen on his (non touchscreen) laptop - he likes the desktop, so I've set up a shortcut to the apps on his desktop, so he never has to leave it.
Right-click on an empty part of your desktop, select New > Shortcut, and type Explorer Shell:AppsFolder in the "Location" box. Click Next, enter a name - "All Programs", for instance - and click Finish. Double-clicking that shortcut will open a folder listing all your installed programs, including the apps, and you can launch whatever you like.

Bogeyface Wed 17-Jul-13 22:59:29

I bought my new PC from the Comet closing down sale, was thinking at the time that I missed out on not getting 8, but as I said above, it is AWFUL and I am glad I "missed out".

It was clearly designed for touch screen, despite the fact that most people dont have (or want) touch screen. My Dads new PC is 8 and I hate it, I think he is ok with it because he has got used to it but I will mention the work arounds, and hope he installs them!

RustyBear Wed 17-Jul-13 23:05:55

Those instructions came from this very useful site by the way. Another good one (and not just for Windows8) is
TechRecipes.com - this page shows how you don't have to download extra software like Classic Shell to get the computer to start up with the classic desktop.

KatyTheCleaningLady Thu 18-Jul-13 01:36:29

I just discovered that Netflix does not work on the new laptop. Neither the app, nor viewing via a Web browser.

However, itunes works much better than on my seven years old Thinkpad. So, the old laptop will now be my Netflix viewer. I've unistalled itunes and it's running better than it did. I only bought the new laptop because itunes had screwed it up so badly.

So, my old laptop is

PugMummy Thu 18-Jul-13 21:02:51

Hurray! Thought it was just me, new laptop bought and stupid windows 8 on it. I dread using it, I just want the usual desktop and not all these crappy apps, there are lots of tutorials on line but its against my religion to read any instructions ever and I don't intent to start now.

Bunbaker Thu 18-Jul-13 21:49:14

There are quite a lot of programs available that change the user interface for Windows 8. I use Classic Shell which you can download and install for free. When its installing it offers options to make W8 look and behave like previous versions of Windows, e.g. 7 or XP. It's one hell of an improvement.

chateauferret Fri 19-Jul-13 23:12:39

Each Windoze version is worse than the last and this one crosses the line from 'pants' to 'shite'. And they want money for it too.

Top tip for people getting new Windoze 8 PCs: wipe the drive, install Ubuntu Linux 13.04 Raring Ringtail, and claim your Windoze license rebate. (Even if your new PC came precontaminated with this bollocks, you can reject it and get some of the cost of it back.)

Even Windoze aficionados are impressed with how quickly my nice Linux box acts when you click on stuff, Linux Firefox knocks IE into a cocked hat.

Bunbaker Sat 20-Jul-13 07:51:03

Linux rocks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now