Joint webchat with Conservative and Labour housing minister and shadow housing minister, MONDAY 2 MARCH 1pm x

To hate Windows 8 with the whole of my heart ..... and more .....

(83 Posts)
lookoveryourshouldernow Wed 17-Jul-13 00:52:30

My system has just automatically upgraded on my PC and wiped my drivers etc etc - and it no longers functions. Rolling back doesn't seem to help as I now have a blank screen on re-booting...

I have hated it from day one and I hate even more as I can't do anything.... It was impossible to build back up discs from Day 1 and had to get a a set from the PC supplier - if i use those now I shall loose everything...

I do hope that whoever designed this pile of C**P has a very uncomfortable couple of days as I shall be "projecting nasty thoughts"......
as I try to rebuild my PC - pull off my photos and important contacts and roll back to at least Windows 7.....

SmellsLikeWeenSpirits Wed 17-Jul-13 07:52:10

I really like it

AnythingNotEverything Wed 17-Jul-13 07:59:11

You can make it look like windows 7. Can't remember how, but google will tell you!

N4NNY Wed 17-Jul-13 08:00:44

Can anyone tell me where I can find a place to write documents in windows 8. My laptop came with 1 month trail of office and now I can't use it hmm my previous laptop had a trail version but there was always something else to use without the expense of buying Office. Is it hiding or just not available.

LondonMan Wed 17-Jul-13 08:04:04

Seven months in I'm getting along with it OK. I go straight into the desktop after a clean boot, and have everything I use (including Control panel) pinned to the task bar, so I almost never have go back to the new interface.

I like Skydrive, having relocated documents and pictures into it so now everything is backed up and available on the web. (Though I think you can do this on Windows 7 as well.)

The only thing that doesn't work properly is Quicken 2000, which doesn't always paint/clear the screen properly. It is still usable though, the problem is just an irritation.

BadLad Wed 17-Jul-13 08:06:11

I got stuffed with 98, Millennium AND Vista!

That's a sod - XP is about the best they have ever made, and you missed out on it.

LondonMan Wed 17-Jul-13 08:13:55

Can anyone tell me where I can find a place to write documents in windows 8.

Wordpad?

cozietoesie Wed 17-Jul-13 08:16:10

I was in love with XP. The only reassuring thing is that 8 as not been success so they'll likely be bringing out a new OS in the next year or so. Just be patient and wait for the upgrade.

N4NNY

Have you thought about some open source office software as an alternative ? (Have a google.)

nowahousewife Wed 17-Jul-13 08:19:42

Hate hate hate windows 8. skaen, having touch screen computers makes no difference. We got 2 new Dell 27 inch touch screen jobbies with windows 8 (DH works from home a lot so his co supplies and supports) and within a very short period we had the techie guy come and reconfigure everything so it operates like the 'old' style windows. Apparently the next version is going to have the start button, too little too late, I say!

We would have chosen apple but as DH's co provides they have to be compatible. I now just do everything I can from my iPad and iPhone and only use the computers when I absolutely have too. Such a waste of what are lovely new computers!

I don't think it's too bad tbh.

OP, DH knows the dudes behind it. Apparently they are quite nice blokes wink

throckenholt Wed 17-Jul-13 08:21:09

I hate to praise windows - but open office stuff just isn't a patch on windows office - the spreadsheet isn't too bad, but the word equivalent is nasty. sad

KatyTheCleaningLady Wed 17-Jul-13 08:21:29

For docs you can try Open Office, which is a freeware copy of office. Works well.

Or, if you use Gmail and chrome, you can use Google Docs, which works like Office (word, Excel, etc) but it is all in the cloud. That can be very convenient or not, depending on your needs.

cozietoesie Wed 17-Jul-13 08:24:19

Oh I like Windows Office throckenholt - but it's not cheap (unless you can legitimately take advantage of an educational deal) and not everyone can afford it.

Wowserz129 Wed 17-Jul-13 08:26:04

When you open documents from say a web page and they pop up on a new screen. How do you get them to delete after you have read them? :/ I am not liking the flick screen either as it is mildly irritating!

nowahousewife Wed 17-Jul-13 08:27:00

katie, DS used google docs on his MacBook to take a PowerPoint presentation into school a couple of weeks ago but he said it seemed to lose some of the functionality ie. the bullet points he had fading in one by one all appeared at once. He was still able to do presentation but just lost some of the gee whiz effects which to 13 yr old boys are v important wink

wordyBird Wed 17-Jul-13 08:29:35

I bought this and don't notice Win8 anymore
www.stardock.com/products/start8/
Cost $5

AntlersInAllOfMyDecorating Wed 17-Jul-13 08:30:14

Nanny, download Open Office, its what I have.

As for the rest of it, I agree! Have watched their desperate attempts to explain that it's us, not it. We just need to give it time. If it was a first date I'd flee for the door.

LondonMan Wed 17-Jul-13 08:31:21

When you open documents from say a web page and they pop up on a new screen. How do you get them to delete after you have read them?

I'm not sure what you are talking about - guessing you are using the new interface version of Internet Explorer rather than the desktop one? In any case, if I do find myself in a new interface app, I just press Alt-F4 to close the window.

SirSugar Wed 17-Jul-13 08:31:25

I paid £550 for my new computer with windows 8 and the stupid office programme is now disabled unless I spend more.

I installed an old Microsoft works programme on it so I can at least type letters.

What is the fucking point of a computer system if it doesn't have a basic word processor installed

80sMum Wed 17-Jul-13 08:33:49

My 6-year-old laptop is in need of replacement, but I'm holding on and waiting till the next os is released. Everyone I know who has Windows 8 hates it!

cozietoesie Wed 17-Jul-13 08:36:14

Oh you can install it easily enough SirSugar - it just costs £££. The aim of the big companies now is to appear very competitive on apparent price so that they get people to actually buy the kit - then add on the former freebies for extra once you've bought in.

ItsQuiteHardtocomeupwithaname Wed 17-Jul-13 08:47:36

I think windows 8 has design faults for when it's used on a normal PC. The different desktop screen just seems crazy to keep flicking back and forth. We haven't had a problem with it other than the design of it though- you do have to spend money on a decent PC to get the most out of them, laptops especially only last around 2 years.
We had a MacBook Pro for 4 years- brilliant thing, never broke and sold it for More than we got it for off eBay! Do miss it but like the PC better for typing.
There is an update coming soon which is windows 8.1 - it's meant to change the design to be more simple and user friendly.

ItsQuiteHardtocomeupwithaname Wed 17-Jul-13 08:49:16

Oh and we use Open office instead of buying other word processing packages

BrawToken Wed 17-Jul-13 08:52:21

FUCKING HATE IT

cozietoesie Wed 17-Jul-13 08:53:31

Is there a date for that update yet, ItsQuite ?

CarpeVinum Wed 17-Jul-13 09:26:39

oh crappytydoodahs, how do you change between users without flicking around trying to get stupid start screen ? Can you do it from desktop ?

Have at least managed to remove most of the crud from start screen so office 7 icons (only useful ones apart from desktop icon) are visible.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now