To think this calls for a celebration!? - Same-sex marriage to become law by next week!

(269 Posts)
ANormalOne Tue 16-Jul-13 21:54:59

I'm actually crying I'm so happy right now!

This calls for a large class of wine to celebrate!

ImNotBloody14 Tue 16-Jul-13 22:32:52

Brilliant news! This has cheered me right up! smile

RockChicken1 Tue 16-Jul-13 22:33:12

Thanks normal smile

Dahlen Tue 16-Jul-13 22:33:37

I think this is great. Those photos are lovely. I love a good wedding. grin

McNewPants2013 Tue 16-Jul-13 22:34:39

Fantastic news.

Does that mean that hetro sexual couples can form a civil partnership rather than get married.

ANormalOne Tue 16-Jul-13 22:35:47

Not sure about that McNewPants I think it should be an option, I know a lot activists are calling for it.

I am so happy about this and so pleased for every couple who can now get married. And I'm really looking forward to the increased bride and groomzilla stories we'll be hearing.

This is great news!

Congrats to everyone who will be able to get married. smile

Had an argument on twitter with some idiot who said it would make 'normal' marriage impossible. I asked him who has passed a law saying I now can't marry a man because men can marry men. I got no reply, oddly grin

I'm so pleased that anyone can Mary anyone they love. Damn right!

ANormalOne Tue 16-Jul-13 22:40:38

custard I've never heard a single legitimate argument against same-sex marriage, they have nothing. grin

Euphemia Tue 16-Jul-13 22:45:28

Those photos made me cry, especially the two dudes with the ZZ Top beards. Aaw. smile

ToomuchIsBackOnBootcamp Tue 16-Jul-13 22:46:45

I loved the photo of the march in, I think, NYC, with the guys holding up a placard that read "don't like gay marriage? Blame the straight people, they're the ones who keep having those damn gay babies!" grin

Great news, many congrats for those who will now be able to get married, so pleased that is one step closer to real equality.

thatstoast Tue 16-Jul-13 22:49:49

I don't think there's been any change to the law regarding Civil Partnerships to extend that to heterosexuals. Great news about gay marriage (or just marriage now, I guess). In a way it's a shame that as a country we couldn't go skip the whole civil partnership thing and gone the whole way initially.

This makes me happppeeeeee

OddSockMonster Tue 16-Jul-13 22:56:47

Brilliant! grin

CatelynStark Wed 17-Jul-13 20:00:58

Those photos are just gorgeous!!

BrokenBanana Wed 17-Jul-13 20:17:23

Hooray! Brilliant news! grin

lessonsintightropes Wed 17-Jul-13 20:21:40

Love the photos flowers to everyone now able to marry their DPs grin

WaitMonkey Wed 17-Jul-13 20:24:38

Congratulations Rock. It is utterly wonderful news. Am so happy. wine all round.

BIWI Wed 17-Jul-13 20:26:07

It's absolutely brilliant news.

If any of you are on Twitter, you might like to come and have a bargy engage in conversation with @StraightPrideUK, who are today issuing black armbands to commemorate the 'death of marriage'.

ComposHat Wed 17-Jul-13 20:29:56

one of the MPs getting his y-fronts in w twist about equal marriage devaluing marriage, believed in marriage some much thst he spent a portion of the 80s fucking his kids nanny. (allegedly)

BarbarianMum Wed 17-Jul-13 20:55:33

I wish I could be joyous but I just think about bloody time really.

The whole thing about it 'devaluing marriage' really pisses me off tbh - I've yet to hear one rational argument why it would. You know what devalues marriage - forced marriage, domestic violence and adultery. Be nice if a few MPs spent more energy in fighting those. Not very likely though especially the last hmm

<will sour off now - am really happy that it makes so many others happy - honest>

NicholasTeakozy Wed 17-Jul-13 21:02:35

It's great news. Why should gay people be denied the chance to be fucking miserable...

LostLion Wed 17-Jul-13 21:04:23

YANBU!!!!! One step forward for human rights.

It's not often we hear good news. I'm with barbarian though, I just think it's been an awfully long time coming and it's a shame it didn't happen years ago. But glad it's finally happening. You still come across the odd person who disagrees with it but on the whole people's attitudes have changed which is great. I always wondered how we could call ourselves a modern, civilised society yet deny people the right to marry who they want to. Let's hope more countries see sense on this too.

McNewPants2013 Wed 17-Jul-13 21:25:30

I have to laugh at the "devaluing marriage" comment.

I think hetro sexual couples did that by being able to divorce ( that that i care if people get divorced)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now