To think that INSET days are.....

(239 Posts)
thismousebites Mon 15-Jul-13 23:04:26

basically just another day off?
So, all you teachers out there, what exactly do you do on INSET days?

PTA Mon 15-Jul-13 23:22:22

They could have been at the local education offices, at another school in their cluster, at the local high school, at outside training facilities, at a local hotel for a big meeting....... The list is endless.

They wouldn't be allowed just to take the day off.

TheFallenMadonna Mon 15-Jul-13 23:22:32

They are extra days on, historically. Used to be holiday, now no longer.

Before INSeT days, teachers had 5 days more holiday. That's right, the training days came out of teachers' holiday. Any others out there who remember the first year they were introduced? (It was 1987/88, my probationary year).

ParkerTheThief Mon 15-Jul-13 23:23:53

Good old Kenneth Baker...

lucjam Mon 15-Jul-13 23:25:01

training, training, training, as the provider of said training I can assure you that inset days sell out first and very fast, we have bookings already for feb half term 2014!

complexnumber Mon 15-Jul-13 23:25:08

What a crass op

You do realise that pd days do not come out of the teaching year?

ParkerTheThief Mon 15-Jul-13 23:25:25

Mind you, nice use of the word another in the OP. guaranteed to rile at the end of term when exhaustion and end of term hysteria start to creep in.

Eyesunderarock Mon 15-Jul-13 23:25:26

Can teachers start a thread counting off all the whinging of all the parents forced to look after and entertain their own children for 6 weeks?
All the 'They're fighting, they're bored, they won't do anything, ooooooGOD when will this unbelievable torment end and they return to school?'

maddy68 Mon 15-Jul-13 23:26:19

yes sometimes our insets are at a different school or at a conference centre deoending on the nature of the training we are having -

ilovesooty Mon 15-Jul-13 23:26:55

Of course sometimes a school has INSET days when the teachers aren't there. They've already completed that extra time doing evening sessions on top of their school day.

Other jobs provide mandatory training on working days. Perhaps someone could explain why teaching should be any different?

And yes, those 5 days were taken from teachers' holidays, and pupils' schooling days were unaffected.

When I was at (primary) school, they called them Teacher Training Days.

Although, with all those days off, I'm surprised I managed to learn that... <rolls eyes>

thismousebites Mon 15-Jul-13 23:31:19

Re the six week hols.....I just love the fact schools stick in a couple of INSET days at the start of the hols and a couple at the end of the hols.
Why not just state seven week hols instead......much more upfront.

McNewPants2013 Mon 15-Jul-13 23:32:44

What happens with snow days.

I know ds school takes impromptu inset days to cover snow days.

ilovesooty Mon 15-Jul-13 23:33:07

You've obviously decided training days are holidays. Do you think that about mandatory training in other employment fields?

ilovesooty Mon 15-Jul-13 23:33:51

Sorry, that was addressed to the OP.

cozietoesie Mon 15-Jul-13 23:34:25

Now 'snow days' are another issue altogether and I think you'd find huge resistance among many teaching staff to making contractual arrangements for those.

Nanny0gg Mon 15-Jul-13 23:35:03

Why not just state seven week hols instead......much more upfront.
Because they're not actually on holiday.

But you're not interested in the answers anyway.

Have your holidays started already?

ilovesooty Mon 15-Jul-13 23:35:16

*When I was at (primary) school, they called them Teacher Training Days.
Although, with all those days off, I'm surprised I managed to learn that*

You had the same number of days off as pupils had before the introduction of these days.

BrigitBigKnickers Mon 15-Jul-13 23:36:05

First aid training
Fire safety training
Phonics workshops
Grammar workshops ( from so called experts who know less than me...)
Planning/ prep for the next term
Performance management
Curriculum updates
Courses
Conferences (one recently was in a theatre where inspirational speakers such as Kris fucking Akabusi tortured us for two hours with his drivel hmm and no am not a PE teacher... )

Yes some are a waste of time but we still have to go, we are still in work and no we are not paid for them.

They are a part of the school holidays for children and not to be considered as a missed opportunity for free child care.

ilovesooty Mon 15-Jul-13 23:38:23

Doctors take study leave to enhance their CPD. I attended mandatory safeguarding training last week. Are these holidays too?

ageofgrandillusion Mon 15-Jul-13 23:39:24

This whole idea of not being paid for them is disingenuous though isnt it? Teachers get paid 25-30 k a year or whatever and part of that contract is that they are in school 39 weeks a year? Plus inset days. So they do get paid for them really dont they?

Irishchic Mon 15-Jul-13 23:41:12

It is interesting though, how the INSET days are always tacked on to a bank holiday, or at the end of the Christmas or Easter hols, is this supposed to make them more convenient for the teachers, or the parents?

phantomnamechanger Mon 15-Jul-13 23:41:25

the poster saying there were no staff at their school on the inset day - they can also cover the time in "twilight sessions" over a few evenings and then have those named inset days as extra holidays - my BIL managed to get his state primary school a 2 week half term by adding all 5 inset days together in one block, but they did weeks and weeks of evening sessions instead - first time ever those teachers got to take holiday out of regular hol dates

what always pees me off is parents who moan about having to find childcare for these odd days here and there when they are published at the start of the year !!

ageofgrandillusion Mon 15-Jul-13 23:41:57

To put that another way, if they are not gettin paid for them that implies they are doing them voluntarily does it not? In which case, they dont actually have to do them. So why do they do them then in that case? Because they are part of their contract - a contact for which they are paid. So in the grand scheme of things - they do bloody get paid for them.

phantomnamechanger Mon 15-Jul-13 23:42:51

irish - not always tacked onto hols. no - my kids attend 2 schools - both had different mondays off within the past month!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now