To think that INSET days are.....

(239 Posts)
thismousebites Mon 15-Jul-13 23:04:26

basically just another day off?
So, all you teachers out there, what exactly do you do on INSET days?

cls77 Wed 17-Jul-13 17:38:47

Blissx!

LittleEsme Wed 17-Jul-13 17:40:24

My INSET days, I go down the pub after a long lie in, and laugh at other folk slaving away.

Cos that's what OP wants to heat, right? wink

thismousebites Wed 17-Jul-13 17:41:15

My DCs finish on Friday 19th
They go back on sept 9th as inset days have been added onto the end of term and the beginning of the next term
That is 7 weeks, no?

Euphemia Wed 17-Jul-13 17:41:21

FuckNugget I put it down to sheer jealousy.

clam Wed 17-Jul-13 17:53:34

So their other holidays will appear shorter than some other schools, as they won't have INSeT days elsewhere in the year. They all will attend school for 190 days a year, however.

storynanny Wed 17-Jul-13 17:57:08

Ah, Inset days..... We have to do them to keep up with the reinvention of the wheel. In my experience teachers don't particularly enjoy them, they are just a necessity. We do actually prefer to be working with real children believe it or not.
I've attended at least 10 inset days all about phonics and reading over the years. It's still being continually updated, changed, changed again, new this new that. Guess what? I still can teach children to read even though I must have being doing it "wrong" several times over the years depending on what was in or out.
It's a real pain for working parents if the school doesn't give enough notice.

DadOnIce Thu 18-Jul-13 15:26:24

And don't forget teachers aren't paid for the holidays. Just before any more people have a rant about that.

weirdthing Thu 18-Jul-13 16:50:01

In Northern Ireland we get 8-9 weeks off and - guess what - NI girls outperform all other cohorts at GCSE in the UK. So stick that in your '7 weeks holiday' pipe and smoke it op! Seriously, isn't it a good thing that your kids get a big holiday?

weirdthing Thu 18-Jul-13 16:51:18

Any school I ever taught in had the Inset days marked on the school calendar at the start of the year. Please also note that a lot of Inset training is done after the school day too.

clam Thu 18-Jul-13 16:56:54

Yeah, weirdthing I'm staggered by these reports of schools who give 2 weeks' notice. I can't see it's necessary and it's just asking for trouble with disruption to parents.

spotscotch Thu 18-Jul-13 17:05:00

I don't know why teachers always lower themselves to these types of threads. It just perpetuates the idea that teachers are a bunch of lazy shirkers.

I just rise above it these days and accept that every fucker reckons that they know all about the world of education, just because they once went to school, and occasionally go into a school building for a parent's evening/school play.

Don't let it bother you. Oh and enjoy the upcoming holidays (God knows it's one of the only things keeping me in teaching these days!)

spotscotch Thu 18-Jul-13 17:05:51

Sorry I meant the idea that teachers are a bunch of lazy whiners!

ivykaty44 Thu 18-Jul-13 17:09:07

I just wish the schools were shut for 2 months in the summer the teachers are worn out at my dd's school and could do with a long break to refresh ready for the next term - why drag out the summer term after all the exams just to tick boxes.

last week my dd had three half days of doing nothing and this week hasn't been much more interesting, why insisist on this 190 days per year.

better the teachers are giving quality and rest than stretch to the limits

JakeBullet Thu 18-Jul-13 17:17:47

It might be seven weeks for them this mouse but can assure you it won't apply to the teachers. They will have to pitch up somewhere to train, either in your school, another school or a central location. My sister is only TA but even she has to attend these things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now