To take my dog toileting in the park while 2yo DS is in bed?

(102 Posts)

My neighbour just suggested I do and she'd keep an ear/eye out for him (she has my mobile number). His room is on the back and she is always in her garden so would hear him if he cried. The park is a 10 second walk from my house - I can see my house from the park (it's across a road at the end of my road iykwim, my house is towards the end of my road). It's a small city park with a playground and highly populated with summer revellers at this time of year. The dog won't toilet in the garden, normally DH takes her out but he's away with work and will be all next month.

Obviously I pick up after the dog and as soon as the dog has been I'd be straight back. Thoughts?

curlew Mon 15-Jul-13 21:03:55

Say to the neighbour- thank you so much, but I'm feeling paranoid. Would you mind just sitting in my living room for 10 minutes while I take the dog out?

LadyBeagleEyes Mon 15-Jul-13 21:04:28

I think I'm getting way too old for MN.
I didn't see danger at every corner when ds was little.
At 18 he's still here.

D0oinMeCleanin Mon 15-Jul-13 21:04:29

As I say on all of these threads if I was ever killed by a drunk/speeding driver I'd much rather my children be home alone than also be hit or be witness to my death, that's just me though hmm

littleblackno Mon 15-Jul-13 21:07:29

I'm sure it would be fine. I would do it if the neighbour was there but equally it's not going to matter at the moment if your DS goes to bed a bit late, espacially in this heat it's hard to sleep anyway so it may cool him down!

AnaisB Mon 15-Jul-13 21:11:58

leave a copy of this with your neighbour

Book

chubbychipmonk Mon 15-Jul-13 21:22:43

Would your neighbour take the dog out?

curlew Mon 15-Jul-13 21:27:38

Why on earth should the neighbour take the dog out when she has offered a perfectly sensible solution which hardly inconveniences her at all. If I was the neighbour, I would be pretty pissed off if I made the kind offer to listen for the OP's child and ring if there was an issue, and she said "thank you, but could you walk my dog instead"

curlew Mon 15-Jul-13 21:29:18

anais- does the ook cover alien invasion and plane crashes? If not, it's not comprehensive enough for a properly responsible Mumsnet mother!

I could ask the neighbour to sit in my house. We don't have a monitor and actually her back garden is right below his window so she'd be more likely to hear him there than in the living room which is on the front. We hear him more quickly when we're in the garden too, it's just the layout of the house. In the living room, with the TV on, it sometimes takes us a couple of minutes to realise he's crying, when in the garden it's immediate.

Neighbour couldn't take dog out as she's scared of it. Our dog isn't bad but she is a tad nervous and barks when she is. She's most secure with me and will go to the toilet more quickly with me (even than with DH) - I literally stomp up and down the front path of the park so that dog can go on the grass, I pick up and go home, all within view of my house.

Anyway, I just took DS with me. He is now very awake and beating me up. sad TODDLERS. I wish I had more patience! smile

curlew Mon 15-Jul-13 21:31:08

Meercat- tomorrow, take your neoghbour up own her kind offer and ignore the Mumsnet loons. Honestly, it's fine.

Marshy Mon 15-Jul-13 21:32:23

This is one of the reasons I don't have a dog, though I would love one - toileting in the park - yuk.
But as for your AIBU, get the neighbour to sit in, or take the dog before bedtime

curlew Mon 15-Jul-13 21:35:29

PLEASE stop saying " toiletting"

HooverFairy Mon 15-Jul-13 21:36:41

Sorry if this makes me over protective and a bit lot PFB, but I wouldn't risk it. However, you know your house, neighbour and toddler so go with your instinct.

HooverFairy Mon 15-Jul-13 21:38:27

Mumsnet loon, that's a new one and very smug

Marshy Mon 15-Jul-13 21:43:02

If dogs didn't shit of have one. To be honest, toiletting would be great. No little warm bags to deal with.
Sorry, said it again :D

Nagoo Mon 15-Jul-13 21:43:41

Risk what? The neighbour is RIGHT THERE.

Marshy Mon 15-Jul-13 21:43:55

I'd have one I mean

HooverFairy Mon 15-Jul-13 21:46:23

No, the neighbour is outside in the garden, next door. The toddler is in the house alone. There are plenty of risks it's just a matter of how comfortable the OP is with the probability of them not happening.

LadyBeagleEyes Mon 15-Jul-13 21:47:42

What risk hmm?

McNewPants2013 Mon 15-Jul-13 21:48:20

I would only do it if i could trust the neighbour to stay outside for that 10 minutes.

McNewPants2013 Mon 15-Jul-13 21:49:11

I would give the neighbour the key to the door as well.

LizzieVereker Mon 15-Jul-13 21:57:49

I wouldn't personally. My DH works nights and I have been similarly stuck, so I appreciate this is a tricky situation for you. I would want the neighbour in the house, in case of toddler bad dreams/ falling out of bed/ being sick.
Is there not a friendly teen who would take the dog out for you for a few quid a week? Could the dog be encouraged to go earlier in the day?

curlew Mon 15-Jul-13 21:59:03

Risks? FFS- what risks?

Sorry curlew - TAKE A WAZZ AND A DUMP. grin

As I said, I'm considering getting a dog walker for summer, for an hour each evening to save this predicament. I'm also considering a cleaner for a month as DH is much better at keeping the house in check than I am blush

God knows how I'll afford it all but needs must!

LilacPeony Mon 15-Jul-13 22:09:49

The dog could get over-excited and run round and round you, leaving your arms pinned to your side by the lead. At the same time the neighbour could accidentally stick the trowel through her foot and pin it to the ground. You'd both be unable to get to your son if the hairdryer exploded. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now