Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

WIBU to ask for advice on buying property in Scotland?

(68 Posts)
ComposHat Belgium Mon 15-Jul-13 19:57:49

Due to two pieces of unanticipated good fortune we've found ourselves in a position to buy a flat in Leith.

As neither of us were expecting to be on this position we are a wee bit naive about the whole scenario. We will be speaking to a solicitor tomorrow as we have found a flat that will be perfect for us. It is listed as offers around 100, 000. Will the solicitor talk us through the process and what to offer etc? If not I would appreciate any savvy mumsnetters with a good knowledge of the Scottish system to twlk me through the process and what we should be offering.

ComposHat Belgium Fri 19-Jul-13 21:21:05

thanks! Will update!

lotsofcheese Fri 19-Jul-13 21:18:03

Good luck with your offer - crossing everything for you!

ComposHat Belgium Fri 19-Jul-13 21:17:57

cheers! solicitor seems to thimk we'll get the lmocknack fot 94k but I remain optimistic.

Solaia Fri 19-Jul-13 21:11:34

Good luck! smile

And that was a whole roof - if yours is only a section it will be less. Although we looked at a house recently where the flat roof on the garage needed replaced and had been quoted at £12k...

ComposHat Belgium Fri 19-Jul-13 20:49:23

sorry silly me I did mean the roof replacement. of the worst comes to the worst at least the costs will be split 16 ways... offer of 94k has been sent to thr solicitors today.

ComposHat Belgium Fri 19-Jul-13 20:45:55

gulp. ..sixty grand!

Solaia Fri 19-Jul-13 20:45:33

Oh sorry did you mean insurance? Our buildings insurance (not contents) with DLine is about £130, but we found quite a few companies either couldn't give us a quote, or quoted hundreds and hundreds. DL was cheapest by a long way if I remember right.

Solaia Fri 19-Jul-13 20:42:37

Our roof was £60,000 I think. Shared between 12 flats. I think that included some chimney work. It took about 4 years to get it started after it was assessed as needing it and we had to have emergency repairs for a leaking roof in that time. The work itself took around 4 months once it was started.

ComposHat Belgium Thu 18-Jul-13 23:11:38

the roof is oldish I think nut no water damage. small signs of pooling but a 2 on the HR. Out of interest how expensive is expensive?

Solaia Thu 18-Jul-13 17:50:13

Check how old the flat roof bit is as can be expensive to replace. Usually made of felt and last around 20 years. When it comes to getting buildings insurance we found it difficult/expensive with a flat roof. A few companies are totally fine with it though and I think it is Direct Line who gave us a decent price in the end.

I assume there is no factor (sorry if you mentioned that already) as they are rarer in Edinburgh tenements. There might well be a 'stair committee' or similar that you might like to join.

ComposHat Belgium Wed 17-Jul-13 23:54:54

msgic cheers!

Euphemia France Wed 17-Jul-13 20:42:38

Twos are totally standard and nothing to worry about.

Check there's no obvious water damage anywhere owing to the roof, and well duh if it's a tenement the chimney will be quite old by now. confused It's probably absolutely fine, but the surveyor feels s/he has to warn you that it won't stay like that for ever.

ComposHat Belgium Wed 17-Jul-13 20:37:33

sounds crazy... just rereag the home report there are a coiple of twos on it. due to flat roof section and and a need to re point the chimney in yhe future. should that put us off? sorry to bombard you with questions!

Solaia Wed 17-Jul-13 17:50:22

YABU for not buying the one bed one box flat I have on the market in Leith wink

I'm actually slightly distressed by this conversation as ours is on well above £100k and we would never take 'in the 90's'. In saying that, Leith is quite a variable area and some streets are more expensive than others. Ours is also in good condition, top floor, views of the castle etc. Ach well we're in no hurry to sell.

It's changed days from when we bought, there would be queues of couples up and and down the close on a Thursday night and the viewings would be a 'one in one out' system. Then a week later a closing date and 10 offers... Madness.

ComposHat Belgium Wed 17-Jul-13 17:31:39

I have developed va softvspot for Hibs too. second only to partock thistle (on the grounds they are in Glasgow and are neither queen's celtic or Pope's o' Rangers.

Euphemia France Wed 17-Jul-13 17:18:21

DB and SIL used to live on Easter Road. DB is a total saddo Hibbee. smile

ComposHat Belgium Wed 17-Jul-13 17:15:45

yes 92-93 was the figure I thought. Euphemia we've lived around Leith walk and Easter Road for years. we like ut very much especially as we have loads of friends close by.

MmeLindor Germany Wed 17-Jul-13 16:59:08

Yes, I would go slightly lower so you can go up to 95 if need be.

Euphemia France Wed 17-Jul-13 16:33:02

Exciting! I like that part of Edinburgh too. smile

badguider Wed 17-Jul-13 15:38:49

I think that 95 would get it for you. definitely. no question.

I would probably try 92 or 93.... I suspect the seller will want 'in the 90s' so flat 90 sounds a bit low but 92 or 93 sounds better...

I'd start at 90k and go from there

ComposHat Belgium Wed 17-Jul-13 15:07:09

right no notes of interest recorded...solicitor says put in a bid of 95. Does that sound okay?

ComposHat Belgium Wed 17-Jul-13 14:45:23

it is...solicitors said they'd be in touch by now, but I guess it is par for the course for solicitors.

badguider Wed 17-Jul-13 10:44:22

Also, if it's been rented out legally then all the electrics and gas will have been inspected annually which is good to know.

badguider Wed 17-Jul-13 10:43:52

That was my situation. On the one hand it meant that I was happy to sell for any reasonable offer and totally flexible about moving dates etc. On the other hand, it meant I wasn't going to take any sort of cheeky offer (and I got a few) because I knew what I needed to discharge the mortgage and I knew I could rent it again if nobody offered that.

I still stand by my advice of offering a fair price based on the home report and other flats in the area (look on espcc for 'fixed price' flats in the area and compare yours to them) rather than the advice you hear in England of making your first offer so low it's embarassing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now