Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think that low fat Philadelphia, low fat Mayo, low fat butter etc are all really rank?

(64 Posts)
Mintyy Mon 15-Jul-13 12:49:02

Had a tuna mayo sandwich made with Hellman's Light yesterday. Had the usual black pepper and squeeze of fresh lemon. But I could taste the difference (and I don't even use much mayo in tuna mayo)!

Yuck.

Crinkle77 Mon 15-Jul-13 17:12:03

Lurpack lighter is quite nice. But I agree low fat philly and mayo are horrible. I just carry on having the full fat but just have a bit less

BrianTheMole Mon 15-Jul-13 17:13:07

Yes, it is rank.

Sparklysilversequins Mon 15-Jul-13 17:17:06

It is true that carbs are the enemy not fat.

Nothing low fat in this house.

specialsubject Mon 15-Jul-13 17:18:20

yes. Low fat = high sugar. (the bad carbs).

diet foods are a huge con.

SmiteYouWithThunderbolts Mon 15-Jul-13 17:18:23

confused I really like the taste of extra light mayo!

Abra1d Mon 15-Jul-13 17:18:34

I have now switched back to full-fat versions of everything. I find a small piece of 'real' cheese is very filling and means I don't want to fill up on cakes and biscuits as much. And butter is irreplaceable, IMHO.

Fillyjonk75 Mon 15-Jul-13 17:22:27

I switched to full fat everything (apart from milk, can only stomach semi skimmed not full fat). I prefer Diet Coke but don't have it often anyway. I've lost 24lbs since switching back to full fat stuff. Fat is satisfying.

Itstartshere Mon 15-Jul-13 17:24:13

Rank and full of shit!

motherinferior Mon 15-Jul-13 17:26:07

Fat free yogurt - ie made with skimmed milk - is OK. And mixes nicely with Real Mayo, incidentally.

OryxCrake Mon 15-Jul-13 17:39:44

Fat is good for you. Frankenfoods are not. Real food all the way here!

BIWI Cote D'Ivoire Mon 15-Jul-13 17:41:42

Come on, Mintyy, you know you want to join us on Bootcamp really ... wink

YANBU.
I once tried Total fat free Greek yog, as it's all the shop had, and it was the texture of melted pritt stick envy

quip Mon 15-Jul-13 17:58:01

I agree except full fat milk: it just tastes too much of cow. I had some 0 percent greek yoghurt and it tasted like sick. I have been losing weight by eating regular meals and avoiding glucose fructose syrup and its nasty cousins. I don't crave stuff any more.

saulaboutme Mon 15-Jul-13 18:03:48

Yanbu. It's seriously yuck.
Don't mess with my mayo!!

pollywollydoodle Mon 15-Jul-13 18:06:59

i prefer light philly.
can't stomach full fat milk
prefer full fat yoghurt

low carbing is just one of the latest in a long line of best guesses imo

SwedishEdith Mon 15-Jul-13 18:20:43

This puts me off going to some people's houses - if they only ever have low-fat and diet stuff. It's vile. What's the etiquette in bringing your onw there? grin

LadyBeagleEyes Mon 15-Jul-13 18:27:36

I agree with Minty too.
There is no substitute for real full fat butter, I'd rather not have it at all.
And I only drink blue milk.
I'm too thin too.

RawCoconutMacaroon Mon 15-Jul-13 18:49:46

Fat is not the problem, carbs are the problem (sugars and grain).

Low fat versions of anything is absolute junk - read the ingredient lists, they can have dozens of sugars, grain derivatives and chemically synthesised compounds added to make them look and feel like the real thing.

Just eat real food! Low fat is a damaging con IMO.

LostInWales Mon 15-Jul-13 19:13:01

I don't think semi-skimmed milk counts in this though because it just has the fat 'skimmed' off. There's no adding stuff in to make it taste any different than it does.

mummymeister Mon 15-Jul-13 19:18:04

yanbu. I would sooner go with out except for boursin low fat cheese which is actually nicer. similarly though I would sooner not be fat so I do steer clear of too much fat anyway.

ouryve Mon 15-Jul-13 19:21:10

I've actually lost half a stone, this year, since I stopped worrying about fat in food. I still use alpro light in my porridge, though, since that's mixed together from other ingredients, anyhow.

BIWI Cote D'Ivoire Mon 15-Jul-13 20:34:36

mummymeister - fat doesn't make you fat. It's the carbs that make you fat. Honestly!

mrsjay Mon 15-Jul-13 20:43:05

real fat isnt the devil as long as you dont eat blocks of lard grin fat is fine low fat no sugar is full of shit I try to eat as little as possible

Oldraver Mon 15-Jul-13 20:50:57

I always insist on full fat Mayo... plus the low/er fat versions used to have milk powder in them

LostInWales Mon 15-Jul-13 20:53:08

I read a great article on this very subject a couple of months ago. How America was going to have to accept that fat wasn't the evil that it's portrayed as and that it's refined carbs like white bread and pasta that were the problem. I'll go and have a google.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now