Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To be fed up with the nurse-bashing going on here this weekend

(165 Posts)
fledtoscotland Sun 14-Jul-13 23:25:42

Just that really.

Most of us are hard working people who do our best to remember everyone's name and not eat kettle chips when we should have a broom up our arses to ensure we don't slack

I just want to be treated with respect as I do my patients and do my job.

Lighthousekeeping Tue 16-Jul-13 17:04:25

Not really offensive. The training is totally different so are expectations of newbies. It's not always for the better. I would hate to go bak to call the midwife days but I do think abit of the old fashioned style of nursing wouldn't go amiss. I've been in the game twenty years and I would not say all things have changed for the better. Too many bloody formalities and time spent on paperwork and other jobs that secretaries should be employed to do. We are stretched from all angles.

sparklesandbling Tue 16-Jul-13 16:25:54

YNBU

I have had my fair share of good and bad experiences with nurses when in children's ward with DD.

Unfortunately I think its our circumstances - DD has special needs /sensory issues and some nurses do not have the training to understand what that means re sleeping in cubicle v ward bed. Does not make them bad nurses just not a good experience when dd is very ill anyway.

Ragwort Tue 16-Jul-13 16:15:45

There is continual 'bashing' on Mumsnet - usually teachers/police/traffic wardens/bankers/celebrities/royality/public sector employees/WOHMs/SAHMs/advocates of controlled crying etc etc etc - is it really 'bashing' or is it trying to have some form of discussion and express your own experiences/opinions?

grumpyoldbat Tue 16-Jul-13 16:06:08

Yes lighthouse it is a generalisation and quite an offensive one at that.

If you want to give me specific guidance on where my attitude towards nursing is wrong I'll be happy to try and adjust any I am guilty of. Though please bear in mind I've not actually started yet.

GoshAnneGorilla Algeria Tue 16-Jul-13 15:11:50

Shitsinger - <head explodes with rage>

Lighthousekeeping Tue 16-Jul-13 15:09:08

I have to say though, the up coming generation of nurses are not like us. I know that's a generalisation but, they approach thing so differently I do wish we could go back to the old days. Not the 1950's though!

Shitsinger Tue 16-Jul-13 11:48:45

Programmes like the Midwife one don't help either.
Its very misty eyed hark back to the old days type stuff.

The author of those books wrote a piece for a weekend paper , she described how babies born prematurely and under 4 lbs were put aside to die as there was nothing they could do. She then described nursing/midwifery these days as "complete nonsense" .
"Complete nonsense" that saves the lives of these babies and many smaller than that and ignoring the reality that we save many people who would have died in those days.

GoshAnneGorilla Algeria Tue 16-Jul-13 01:06:32

Shitsinger - true. Also what the general public think a nurse's role is and the work nurses actually have to do are increasingly divergent concepts.

Shitsinger Mon 15-Jul-13 23:13:22

The problem when you elevate an entire profession to sainthood is that there is one hell of a way to fall .
The press have systematically tried to destroy nursing as a profession.

There are often very complex cases reported in the press where despite failures on the part of medical teams to ensure complex cases are treated appropriately , the emphasis is on the nurses role. Despite complex medication being needed to stop a patient passing so much urine they actively dehydrate, the way it is reported is that nurses wouldn't pass the patient a simple glass of water.
Jesus Christ I have caught so many medical mistakes its frightening .
I don't want chocolates just recognition for my profession.

megsmouse Mon 15-Jul-13 20:07:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

AnneElliott Mon 15-Jul-13 20:07:10

All professions get a bashing sometimes (I'm a civil servant) but nurses are not above reproach and not should they be.
I have seen some great nurses in ITU and HDU but when it came to the general ward they were terrible! They did all sit down all day and watch me (visiting DH) feed elderly people, get them bottles to pee in, arrange bedclothes and seek help when buzzers were not answered. I know nurses aren't highly paid but I wasn't paid at all and yet often did more than they did!
I think all professions have a responsibility to help manage out the bad apples. I certainly know crap and lazy civil servants so why do nurses find it hard to take the same view?

ChestyNut Mon 15-Jul-13 18:01:50

Another nurse here.

I always do my very best with the resources available to me. Sadly they're not always adequate sad

It's nice to hear some positive stories.

RevoltingPeasant Mon 15-Jul-13 17:44:48

I think MrsDV hits the nail on the head, as so often.

I had an operation about 18 mos ago which failed and I had to be re-admitted as an emergency case. Now, most of the staff I saw were fine: every single nurse and HCA on the ward. They smiled, cared, and even remembered who I was when I was re-admitted, which I was dead impressed by as they must get so much traffic.

But, I now have to have that op again on the other side. And I must admit, my dominant memories are now having to go and argue with 3 different doctors when I was throwing up with pain, just to be re-admitted to the hospital (they thought I was exaggerating a bit of post-op pain.... till they saw the scans!!).

This is unfair on those HCP who were great. But I will go into hospital again thinking 'What if this all goes wrong again, are you going to blow me off?'

Equally, I try as a patient to be aware of HCP's experiences. For example, the nurse who bawled into my face 'ultrasound scan now, that means COLD JELLY' actually didn't offend me, because I just figured she dealt with lots of hard of hearing, older people. I try to be a 'good patient' as I'm aware they must have a rough time with some people.

It cuts both ways, and as with so much in life, a little common sense and good will helps a lot......

MrsDeVere Mon 15-Jul-13 17:26:52

I think parents are treated pretty shabbily at times.
We are relied on to provide care for our children but treated as if we are in the way and attention seeking if we ask for anything for ourselves.
Luxuries like food and drink or a bed to sleep in.

Not by everyone but it DOES happen. Act as anything less than a sainted martyr and you are pretty much accused of having Munchhausen's.

Nurses and doctors have the most important jobs in the world IMO. So I am the last person who can be accused of nurse bashing. I am not going to pretend I wasn't treated poorly though.

Darkesteyes Mon 15-Jul-13 17:18:55

I do wish though that the medical profession would treat carers with a bit more respect sometimes. I once had a doctor say to me "well you can pick his prescriptions up cant you" he had already assumed that i couldnt be bothered by his tone.
Because carers happen to claim benefits i think that some (though not all) people in the healthcare professions look at us as scroungers until it comes to the time where they want a bed freed up. I do realise these situations and attitudes are rare but they do happen.

I also find it interesting that ATOS and the healthcare professionals working for them hardly warrants a mention when thousands have lost their lives after being found fit to work by them.

ZingWidge Mon 15-Jul-13 17:13:01

I've posted on the "Kettlegate" and I say it again - most nurses, MW, HV and doctors I've met have been/ are fantastic and I'm so grateful for their amazing attitude, knowledge, care and love.

big thank you to all of you, you know who you are! thanks thanks thanks thanks

( hands out lemon cake and strawberries)

MrsDeVere Mon 15-Jul-13 17:05:36

Ah now, I think quite a few brand new mums would quite like being called mum for the first time grin

But I can tell you the novelty wears off very quickly.

I will remember the mum one, am moving to the maternity hospital in a few weeks.

MrsDeVere Mon 15-Jul-13 17:01:38

Its very hard to complain, particularly if you have a chronic illness or are caring for someone with a long term condition.
You just don't have time. You have to get over each crisis very quickly and move on so you can have a life before the next one hits. There is no time or energy for the lengthy and stressful complaints procedures.

The 'Love' thing. I think HCP need to use their common sense. It is common sense not to patronise patients. Love is ok if you have built up a relationship with someone. Its really not ok if you have only just met someone.

I remember an epic thread on here where parents were telling HCP how much they hated being called mum or mummy and the HCP were telling us how wrong we all were and that we actually really liked it hmm

It went on for pages with some HCP refusing to listen to the many parents on the thread.

thanks for answering larry, that is disgusting that he didnt get the diuertics, in fact so rare that a patient on our ward doesnt have them that it didnt occur to me as a possibility. I am so sorry that happened sad

larrygrylls Mon 15-Jul-13 16:55:43

But, as my mother said, much as you want to complain and demand to be treated decently, you are very vulnerable physically and don't want to upset those who can easily do you harm. And you never know when you might have to go back under the care of the person about whom you have complained.

She just avoids the NHS as much as possible now.

larrygrylls Mon 15-Jul-13 16:53:12

Diva,

He should have been given the cheap and readily available diuretics which any doctor (or nurse) knows is standard for those with congestive heart failure. Funnily enough, when a consultant bothered to turn up around mid Monday and prescribe them, he was able to sleep fine within about 24 hours. And when he asked for sleeping pills, he should have been given them in the interim. He was already in his 80s and able to weigh up the risks for himself.

This is not purely a nursing failing, as clearly they could not have prescribed what he needed. However, they could easily have called someone in or explained to him the issues like an adult when they realised his distress. Instead they patronised him and told him it was all in his head.

No, I never complained. My mother, although she is old and infirm, is a champion complainer in her own right and my father is now dead, so it is a little late.

fledtoscotland Mon 15-Jul-13 16:51:51

Badlad - how do nurses & bankers compare? Maybe I'm being dense but they aren't the same and I'm talking about posts this past weekend on MN

not trying to be antagonistic, and larry I am really sorry that your parents were treated so badly and I really do hope you complained, but how should your df have been allowed to sleep if he couldnt breath laying down? A lot of the patients on the ward I am on have to sleep virtually sitting up as following heart failure the fluid sits in the lungs which is what makes breathing difficult and causes major complications.

SpecialAgentTattooedQueen Mon 15-Jul-13 15:16:15

Let's try not to bring this back to your favourite subject and actually discuss the OP.

Uhm you don't know my favourite subject is, so... Yeah?

I'm so sorry your parents were treated so poorly Larry. sad That is horrid. Did you make complaints? (I did when I was treated poorly in hospitals)

Although I must nitpick and say the reason we have an army is we do depend on them them for our lives. Perhaps not right now, but that's the reason that vocation exists. I certainly wouldn't want untrained men/women in the army any more than untrained doctors/nurses/firemen... I depend on them for my life as well.

Salt & Vinegar please Patty grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now