To find people who blindly accept laws as being just and fair perplexing?

(30 Posts)
Alisvolatpropiis Sun 14-Jul-13 21:58:13

Just that really. Laws make things legal yes. But the Jim Crow Laws were legal once, as was Apartheid, as was women being second class citizens.

So few people seem to question the morality of laws anymore. Why?

TheFallenNinja Mon 15-Jul-13 07:40:36

Perhaps there are less immoral laws (in this country anyway)

FasterStronger Mon 15-Jul-13 07:50:37

laws are often blunt swords and very imperfect. it is easy to say what is wrong with a current law - but it can be much harder to come up with something that actually works better.

so I think we need to ask is a law the best we have in that area.

Dackyduddles Mon 15-Jul-13 07:57:34

Most laws are reasonably sensible. Various are hangers on from long ago which can seem outdated or funny.

I'm more worried about new laws which seem to take privacy lightly. Many people don't notice how much freedom exists. The idea that if you have nothing to hide there's nothing to worry about is laughable, but I read lots of science fiction so maybe I'm more circumspect?

Organisations like Liberty are very active. As another poster says its never been so easy to be so. If you are not OP, why not?

BeeBawBabbity Mon 15-Jul-13 08:01:48

We teach our children to obey endless "rules" of behaviour unquestioningly, so perhaps we are all conditioned from a young age. Some of the rules are necessary for the prevention of chaos, some are for our (parents, teachers) convenience or their long term health, and some (especially at school) seem silly, and should be questioned. But kids don't live in a democracy, they have no say. They do have a school council, but they were told school council is not for questioning the rules.

These years of conditioning must help produce an accepting population.

MorrisZapp Mon 15-Jul-13 08:11:43

I don't agree. Look at ongoing campaigns against speed cameras. Those are people collectively and openly seeking to break the law with impunity, because they don't agree with it

Thousands of people across the country question that law every day, decide they don't agree, and break it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now