Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To worry about my past?

(61 Posts)
frozerose Sun 14-Jul-13 20:17:06

During my twenties I was a wildchild, I drank and went out every night, took drugs and had casual sex with various men.

Luckily I had a good group of close friends who werent involved in that scene, they didnt like it but they stood by me.

In time I met my beloved DH and had a daughter. I well and truly grew up and those days are firmly behind me.

Sometimes I think back to how I used to be and I can feel anxious about it for days.

AIBU to feel that people will just remember the drunken partygirl that I was, rather than the devoted mum I am now?

celestialbows Mon 15-Jul-13 12:06:32

I was a maniac when I was younger, drink, drugs, sex, police, mayhem just some hideous things plus extreme danger. I wasnt lays nic o thoughtful and pissed off a lot of people.
I and my life are unrecognisable from those days. I have massive regrets , shame and anxiety sometimes , mainly because I liv in a small town where people have long memories and I can't avoid reminders .
I have to concentrate on what I have now and embrace the changes, people may still gossip or remind me of what I did but a lot of the people I was with then have died or are completely messed up, some have moved on and straightened out too.
It is what it is. I'm a direct result of my upbringing and fought really hard to get out of the rut. I will never go back there again.
I do worry what I'll tell my children and what someone might tell my DH but life is for living. I'm lucky to have a second chance a it.

celestialbows Mon 15-Jul-13 12:11:14

*typos, I wasn't always nice or thoughtful!

libertine73 Mon 15-Jul-13 12:14:03

The things I got up to would make Keith Richards blush!

Does anyone ever wonder what they are going to tell their DC about it all? In say, context of them possibly heading down the same road?

Crowler Mon 15-Jul-13 12:15:30

Oh my god, ladies! I love this thread!

I had some crazy times in my 20's. Who cares. BTW, you're even allowed to have some crazy times now.

DiaryOfAWimpyMum Mon 15-Jul-13 12:20:30

I was wild from 17-20something I can honestly say I don't regret it I lived and partied when Scotlands rave scene was at it's biggest I didn't sleep around possibly because I was too wasted every weekend, I wouldn't want my DC doing it but I had some fantastic times and don't regret it for a minute.

minouminou Mon 15-Jul-13 12:27:56

Same here, my love!
There was a moment in which I thought: "Right, this is all a bit old now.....I'm ready to stop, so I did."

It's obvious when you've had a bit of a past, but unless it involved eating babies, no-one is going to care!

The point is, your old friends stuck with you, didn't they. Keep hold of them, they sound like gooduns.

HotCrossPun Mon 15-Jul-13 19:11:06

Of course frozerose , you are the OP so yours has glitter and sequins on grin

<frantically assembles badges for all the new posters>

Latara Mon 15-Jul-13 19:39:59

I did 'enjoy' life until not that long ago; then I stopped drinking on NYE 2012 and haven't looked back.

I don't regret any of it though!

foslady Mon 15-Jul-13 21:54:33

My friend has just put a photo message on fb. It says 'Don't judge me by my past, I don't live there anymore'.

Thought of you, OP smile

JenaiMorris Mon 15-Jul-13 22:03:32

When exactly was I meant to trade all my raucous nights out for nights in watching Country File with a mug of cocoa?

libertine73 Tue 16-Jul-13 03:59:04

don't know, but I've just had a bender of a 40th birthday weekend, am covered in unexplained bruises!

happy to not have one as mad as that again until my 50th!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now