this "festivals as fashion show" thing gives me the Rage

(113 Posts)
dirtyface Sun 14-Jul-13 13:52:43

i am a music lover and as a teenager / early 20 something i used to go to festivals every summer

think the PROPER festivals, donington, ozzfest, reading festival etc. a fashion show they were Not. it was actually about the bands and music and just having a proper good time and not really giving a shit what you were wearing as long as you were reasonably comfortable. apart from maybe if you wore a t-shirt of your favourite band. not designer brands, a face full of make up, and artfully dishevelled "festival hair" hmm

but "nowadays" its just soooooo cool to be "seen" at festivals. it doesn't seem to be about the music anymore. it seems to be more about posing. this whole "festival as fashion show" bandwagon thing only came about in the last 5 or 10 years. and now ever summer, every vacuous shitty womens mag is saturated with "festival fashion" articles and what celeb twats like kate moss are wearing at glastonbury. as if the paps will be snapping you every 5 minutes in your generic hunter wellies and ray bans.

bugs the shit out of me (but as i said i am an old gimmer of 33 who doesn't go to them anymore anyway so what do i know grin )

happyyonisleepyyoni Mon 15-Jul-13 10:59:16

I'm going to my first festival for 20 years this weekend with DH, two tweenagers and a toddler. Can't wait!! Unfortunately, I still look 40 even in "festival fashion".

One thing that has not changed is that there is always someone moaning that things aren't what they used to be in the good old days!

HairyGrotter Mon 15-Jul-13 11:04:59

Zillion, you are a legend! I'm so getting one of those bad boys ha!

HairyGrotter Mon 15-Jul-13 11:15:05

Also, I do take a onesie, but only to sleep in as it does get chilly in the tent at night. I'd never be seen in it outside the tent! Also, as a previous poster said, trying to attempt to go to the toilet in a onesie is insane.

I'm taking 5 year old DD to her first festival in two weeks and I've taught her to 'owl' over the toilet, it's an invaluable lesson for her! Can't wait, I'll be going to festivals till I'm well into my 70's if possible, with she wee in hand!

LookMaw Mon 15-Jul-13 11:15:51

There's a festival in the town I grew up in this year, when three of my favourite bands are playing (Edward sharpe & the magnetic zeros, white denim & the mystery jets). Pretty much everyone I know is going because Mumford & sons are playing. And the rest are going because it's something to do.

It has really boiled my piss because it sold out so quickly I couldn't get a ticket, and I don't feel like the bastards some people actually deserve to go because they
have no interest in the great music that's gonna be there!

I'm sure I'll see loads of statuses and pictures on Facebook though. Along the lines of 'watching some weird band play waiting for Mumford n sons yaaaaay!' and moody side on profiles of their faces in raybans drinking rekorderlig.

Bitter? Me?

Flobbadobs Mon 15-Jul-13 11:23:46

Hairy someone did the name 3 songs thing with DS when he wore a Stones t-shirt (given to him by a friend). He named 5 grin. He was 10 at the time, loves the Stones and bizarrely AC/DC with a little Noah and the Whale thrown in... His playlist is rather eclectic!
Did anyone watch the documentary about Glasto a couple of weeks ago? It covered the less commercial, more 'alternative' areas mainly over the course of about 20 years. It looked to me like it was all about image even then!

vladthedisorganised Mon 15-Jul-13 11:25:06

You can always rest easy in the knowledge that your original clothes will become 'retro' soon enough.

That's the excuse I use anyway! "It's an original 1995, daaahling.."

ImNotBloody14 Mon 15-Jul-13 11:28:11

1) you sound envious of those that are still getting to festivals

2) why does it matter what the wear or whether they are there for the music or just a good time with mates?

HairyGrotter Mon 15-Jul-13 11:30:14

I do have a few original Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Mudhoney t's but don't wear them because I loom a bit of a div.

My daughter has a few band t's, I got pulled up on her wearing her Deftones one, and the guy was a bit short about it saying 'she doesn't know who they are, why would you force her to wear it'...erm, she's named after a Deftones song, she can fucking own that shit.

I love talking to young and old about their music taste, and I like seeing people discover new music, myself included, hence I love festivals.

BackforGood Mon 15-Jul-13 11:32:55

So, if you are annoyed by the "festivals as fashion show" why are you buying / reading the magazines that are promoting this ? confused

MarmaladeTwatkins Mon 15-Jul-13 12:16:29

"2) why does it matter what the wear or whether they are there for the music or just a good time with mates?"

Because tickets are limited and there are actual music fans who's quite like to go but don't get a look in!

If you want to have a good time with your mates, there's always Alton Towers.

MarmaladeTwatkins Mon 15-Jul-13 12:21:11

Also, "having a good time with mates" seems to consist of sitting on one of your mate's shoulders to get on telly, taking selfies of you looking like a twat in your contrived Topshop flower headband/fringed t-shirt and trying to emulate the pictures of Chantelle Houghton at V last year.

<grumpy old cow>

LookMaw Mon 15-Jul-13 13:26:13

Haha Marmalade, you articulated my feelings so beautifully then.

KellyElly Mon 15-Jul-13 14:05:45

People can actually be into the music and 'shock horror' dress fashionably. the two aren't mutually exclusive you know wink

MarmaladeTwatkins Mon 15-Jul-13 14:18:25

Yeah, but, I am willing to wager that most of them aren't. They're just there because going to a festival is the in thing to do.

Watching T in the Park on the telly and some dufus was on her mates shoulders, aware that the camera was on her, so she started trying to sing along only she didn't know the words.

LieInsAreRarerThanTigers Mon 15-Jul-13 14:21:24

I am nearly 46 and have been to at least 1 festival a year since 1989. I always loved to dress up in my most hippie colourful rags and have been to festivals pregnant, breastfeeding and using cloth nappies, and with children of all ages (whoops did lose the 2 year old once but found him again).

There are ALL kinds of festivals for ALL kinds of people. I have had enough of the big commercial ones and go to the smaller ones now, like Beautiful Days, Larmer Tree (this week - can't wait!), Chagstock and had some fantastic times at Big Green Gathering over the years.
It is a shame if everyone is wearing high street fashion ,one of the fun activities at festivals is people-watching, whacky outfits, groups of friends in themed fancy-dress, etc.

I LOVE festivals!

KatyTheCleaningLady Mon 15-Jul-13 14:22:54

From the photos I've seen online, attendees at Bloodstock look kinda fugly. And there are plenty of old people. It's definitely not a hip festival.

I'm looking forward to it!

keskiviikko Mon 15-Jul-13 14:24:43

Mainly one of the reasons I rarely go to festivals in the uk anymore. I'd rather spend the same amount for a ticket and travel and food for the weekend and go to Hellfest in France or one of the Finnish festivals than have to go through the horror of download again. Even Rammstein couldn't get me back there!

keskiviikko Mon 15-Jul-13 14:26:21

Katy Bloodstock is a good chilled out festival. My husband says that it's like a bunch of hippies all wearing black!

superstarheartbreaker Mon 15-Jul-13 14:31:51

I do love Glastonbury but it has gone all posh with Kate Moss , Prince Harry and Tory Mps hanging around. When I started going in 1995 it was a proper crusty fest/massive rave in a field. I do like the fact that noone tries to sell me drugs there anymore but for some people that may be a down side!
I do like dressing up a bit at festivals though.

happyyonisleepyyoni Mon 15-Jul-13 14:33:16

I went to Glastonbury in 1992 and there were people moaning then that it was too mainstream. It were ever thus!

MarmaladeTwatkins Mon 15-Jul-13 14:37:51

And the thing is, the more these teenyboppers go to the festivals, the more the festival organisers think that acts like The Rizzle Kicks and Rita Ora should be on the bill.

Glastonbury was like the Smash Hits Poll Winners Party.

Monstermuncher Mon 15-Jul-13 14:40:15

Its a sign of the times I think. I live close to a university and so I see lots of students on a daily basis. When I was a student it was all doc martens, stripey tights and massive holey cardigans (whether you were male or female really). Today's students wear designer stuff and do their food shopping in m and s. Its all changed and I feel like an old gimmer most of the time but people are so much more image obsessed these days. Who had heard of selfies and duck faces a few years ago?

MarmaladeTwatkins Mon 15-Jul-13 14:48:50

And and and they seem to watch more of the shows through their iPhone screen, because they are busy filming it, lest there be a single second of their time NOT uploaded to fucking Instagram or FaceSpace.

Harumph.

dirtyface Mon 15-Jul-13 14:51:10

<wonders if marmalade twatkins has worked out who i am>

<am on her facebook>

blush

MarmaladeTwatkins Mon 15-Jul-13 14:58:37

wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now