Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to be perplexed at the Matt finish adorning some cars now?

(37 Posts)
NotYoMomma Sun 14-Jul-13 12:13:51

ive seen a few matte black cars and now a red one.

the red one was on a car being used to advertise Matt paint for cars... hmm

it didn't seem to be much of an aadvertisement tbh, it looked awful!

if I spend that much on a car, I want it to at least glisten in the sunshine! and if it was an old banger (as the black two were) why spend more money on an even worse paint job?

AIBU or do people actually like it?!

WMittens Sun 14-Jul-13 22:03:05

Cars come as standard in a matt finish and you pay extra for metallic/pearlescent,

Matt/gloss isn't the same as metallic/non-metallic - e.g. you could have non-metallic red with a gloss finish.

MsJupiterJones Sun 14-Jul-13 22:16:57

Fucking hate this. Every time I see one I think, you're not Batman!

tigerlilygrr Sun 14-Jul-13 22:20:42

I saw a grey matte car today. Have to say if I could afford a Bentley I would not paint it with what looked like primer paint. It looked AWFUL.

I think it looks terrible too. There are a couple round here (both BMWs) and they'd look better with anything other than matt paint.

wigglybeezer Sun 14-Jul-13 22:26:50

There is a Matt black Range Rover in our village, looks awful.
I have also seen an old classic/ banger with what looks like an all over, intentional rust finish, very odd.

JosiePosiePuddingAndPie Sun 14-Jul-13 22:51:38

My BIL has it on his car and I quite like it. Wouldn't do it myself though as even washing the car is too much effort for me. But as my dad says the dirt protects the paint! grin

maternitart Sun 14-Jul-13 23:00:00

YANBU, it looks awful 99.9% of the time.

MsJupiter, I always think that too - less Batman more Twatman.

manticlimactic Mon 15-Jul-13 00:07:39

I saw a furry car the other day shock . How do they do that? Stick some fur on?

olidusUrsus Mon 15-Jul-13 03:56:45

There's a cross hatchery one near me too. Looks gross.

JenaiMorris Mon 15-Jul-13 07:36:40

I like it. Have contemplated getting mine wrapped .

It makes them look grungy and a bit Blade Runner.

On a practical note, wraps help protect the paintwork, which might explain their popularity in the ME (where cars last five minutes, from what I've heard).

We saw a velvet car up in Harley Street a month or so ago, looked proper pimpy.

Also saw a porche in black Matt paint. Looked like someone had had a go with a pot of blackboard paint!!

JenaiMorris Mon 15-Jul-13 07:52:19

Madame, someone at a car show I went to had a box of chalks for people to write on their car with grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now