to be annoyed by friends who post 'thank you so & so for the lovely dinner' on fb, just showing off their wonderful social life

(162 Posts)
fridgealwaysfull Sat 13-Jul-13 12:27:25

Surely if you've been invited to someone's house for dinner you thank them then. The only reason people post thank yous and tag the names of those present is just to show how popular they are and make others feel like we have no life. Winds me up.

Bonsoir Tue 16-Jul-13 15:21:48

Why broadcast your life though?

WinkyWinkola Tue 16-Jul-13 16:03:27

I'm glad people broadcast their lives. I'm a nosey cahh and love to have a shufty.

ChocsAwayInMyGob Tue 16-Jul-13 16:05:53

Bonsoir- if Mark Zuckerberg had thought like you, he wouldn't be worth 25 billion.

People WANT to broadcast their lives!

I find it especially nice to keep in touch with my cousins who live overseas. We can see each other's holiday pics and watch our kids getting older. Before Facebook, it would be years between seeing photos or hearing from them apart from Xmas.

Facebook is a page about your own life, therefore you can put what you like about yourself and your life. Other people shouldn't think that they can control what others should or shouldn't write. The Hide button is for things you don't like.

*Disclaimer, obviously anything racist, or bigoted or harmful is excluded from this.

Bonsoir Tue 16-Jul-13 17:17:01

I'm not impressed. I think Facebook is the spawn of the devil.

Fillyjonk75 Tue 16-Jul-13 17:39:50

I get highly pissed off with it st times, changing the default privacy settings and so on. I prefer Twitter, but also use fb in a similar way to twitter and have had some great discussions on current affairs. Also there is a great local parents group. So it certainly isn't all people showing off. Also I've got some work through it and promote the WI and PTFA through it, so it's very useful.

equinox Tue 16-Jul-13 17:44:16

I've got sick of facebook and came off it last weekend!

roundtable Tue 16-Jul-13 17:46:58

I always thought the public thank yous on fb were given by people who don't go out that much so they're acknowledging something different from the norm?

Mintyy Tue 16-Jul-13 17:53:54

Zactly roundtable.

x2boys Tue 16-Jul-13 18:21:39

I had a very good friend who I lost touch with for several years found her again on FB she is always going on about her marvellous life and thanking people for there fantastic seven course dinners talking about her wonderful house/husband /child I just find her an annoying twat tbh

exoticfruits Tue 16-Jul-13 18:28:01

You can come off- you can de friend!
I started a thread on what people liked on FB- it was very short. Nothing was the answer- or nothing that everyone agreed with!

pussycatwillum Tue 16-Jul-13 20:08:59

I always thought the public thank yous on fb were given by people who don't go out that much so they're acknowledging something different from the norm
Yep, that's me grin

wordfactory Tue 16-Jul-13 22:49:44

The main reason I don't do FB is that the odd times I've looked at freinds' pages, they are so obviously a santistised/photoshopped version of themselves and their lives, that I don't feel I'm learning anyhting about them.

I find MN far more interesting in that posters do let you in to their little worlds. The domestic minutae of their days and inner thoughts is far more valuable than an ersatz version!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now