To go out knowing DD can't get home

(34 Posts)
littlewhitebag Sat 13-Jul-13 10:15:19

DD (age 15) went to sleep over with friends last night. I asked her to find out what the plan might be for today and let me know so DH and i could organise our day.

I text her last night to remind her and i know she read the message but no reply.

Text again this morning. No reply

Have now text her to say DH and i are going out for the day (she knows what we were planning to do) and hope she has money for a taxi and a key to get in. I know she has neither. No reply.

Is it reasonable just go out as planned or go and leave a key and £10 under the mat so she can get home?

I once deliberately let my DD sit on the doorstep for an hour on the nth time she forgot her doorkey. She remembers it much more regularly now!

3littlefrogs Sat 13-Jul-13 10:38:01

She sounds a typical 15 yr old. They seem to revert to toddlerhood, thinking that you just know everything in their heads by some sort of osmosis.

Mia4 Sat 13-Jul-13 10:48:59

Phone her but YANBU to go out at all, she has to learn. You could always leave a key with the neighbour for when she calls you in a panic.

Marlinspike Sat 13-Jul-13 10:54:42

I am with you OP - my DD (16) is hopeless at communicating! I know she will be round and about with her friends, and on numerous occasions I have asked her for just a simple text - I am at X with Y &Z, and I will be home at... How hard can that be?

I think I would leave the key somewhere, but possibly ignore her texts/ calls asking where it was for an hour or so....[evil Mum emoticon]

Dontwanttobeyourmonkeywrench Sat 13-Jul-13 11:05:49

This is my DS too. Keep telling him to lift his mobile in case I need to let him know that plans have changed. It's currently sitting on his desk out of charge hmm

Frequently leaves without keys/mobile/wallet(usually has bus fare in pocket), can't get the hang of reversing the charge (and says he'd feel bad asking his granny to pay for the call because he only remembers her landline and our landline), but always somehow manages to land on his feet. Thankfully MIL and DSD1 live close by so if he ever gets locked out he justs heads to their houses to wait.

He's turning 16 and due to fly to my DM by himself. I don't think I'll relax until she lets me know that they've met him at the airport grin

mrsjay Sat 13-Jul-13 11:12:04

It is the BUT MY PHONE WAS ON SILENT that drives me up the wall it really does

frogspoon Sat 13-Jul-13 11:40:14

Leave a key with a neighbour, and text her telling her which neighbour has the key.

sydlexic Sat 13-Jul-13 12:27:13

I have definitely been tempted. DD gets up goes out. I later go shopping, then I get a phone call, can't get in the house. Drove me crazy.She has left home now, did it a few times but soon learned.

valiumredhead Sat 13-Jul-13 13:28:35

What frog said.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now