Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To ask what the fuck has happened to my face

(32 Posts)
MrTumblesBeerBelly Fri 12-Jul-13 21:20:19

I look so haggard!!

Had baby a year ago, gone up a dress size from 10 to 12, but other than that nothing has really changed. I'm 34, don't have many noticeable lines or anything but I just don't look like me anymore. My skin looks dull, my eyes look weirdly piggy, and I am getting a bit jowly. The light has gone from my eyes in photos sad

What the fuck is this? And what's the best cure? I have tried a lot of face creams and I'm too scared of surgery. I do get a fairly decent amount of sleep too and my diet isn't terrible.

I'm sorry if I should be posting in style or something, I just can't get over how crap I look!

MrTumblesBeerBelly Sat 13-Jul-13 21:35:12

Don't think I'm allergic, but had a bit of an epiphany going through photos again today - a few months ago had a few inches off my hair so it sits above my shoulders now and that does tend to accentuate my rather 'round' features- round face, round eyes, so I need to grow it longer asap!

kelda Sat 13-Jul-13 08:58:51

Tiredness? Allergies?

My dd1's face lloks odd when she has had an allergic reaction.

Nagoo Sat 13-Jul-13 08:58:03

I look better now than I did a couple of years ago. The constant vigilance of baby/ toddler takes it's toll I think.

And get some blusher smile

braveandcrazy Sat 13-Jul-13 08:28:01

I love all this advice, thanks ladies! One question, I can't make tube with my tongue, does it work if I just poke it out a bit?

Whothefuckfarted Sat 13-Jul-13 08:17:43

Water, exercise, sleep?

sleeplessbunny Sat 13-Jul-13 08:02:40

wow, face yoga, who'd have thought it? Trying it now.

OP, I could have written your post. Same age, same age DD, same thoughts when looking in the mirror... God it's crap isn't it?

TroublesomeEx Sat 13-Jul-13 07:54:53

I'm glad Mimi explained face yoga. I was reading this thinking that's what you need to do.

I do it.

I don't know if will work, but the women in my family have a tendancy to go a bit 'jowly' and I'm determined to try and keep it at bay for as long as possible!!

MrTumblesBeerBelly Sat 13-Jul-13 07:29:34

Ooh will try, thank you!

Mimishimi Fri 12-Jul-13 23:54:33

One is where you stick your lower jaw out beyond your front teeth as far as you can (like a bulldog grin) then slowly tilt your head back so that you are facing the ceiling and hold for 20 seconds or so. Repeat a few times several times a day.

Another one is making a little tube with your tongue, breathing in through it and then holding the breath whilst puffing out your cheeks to the max, hold as long as you can, and then let breath slowly out through the nose.

Then the tradional ooooo.....ahhhhhh.....eeeeee faces with exaggerated expression.

These are good for firming up the jawline, cheek definition but only cardio where my heart rate goes up significantly reduces te puffiness that makes my eyes look smaller.

MrTumblesBeerBelly Fri 12-Jul-13 23:39:03

Tell me about this face yoga please!

MrTumblesBeerBelly Fri 12-Jul-13 23:38:10

Clarins on shopping list!
I've just looked at a pic of me 5 mins post labour - I look more bright eyed and rested then than i do now

shock WTAF

Mimishimi Fri 12-Jul-13 23:36:28

I noticed big changes in my face after having children too, even after I lost most of my baby weight. Many women can be rather heavy after kids but have ept lovely, slim faces as they were before so you don't notice it as much. Not me. My cheeks got puffier, my eyes got smaller, my jawline got softer. It does get me down at times but serious cardio activity (running, spinning etc) helps a lot as do yoga exercises for the face.

Edendance Fri 12-Jul-13 23:28:20

Also recommend Clarins face oil, I alternate that one night with rose hip oil the next (it's very cheap and very good!) and love them both!

MrTumblesBeerBelly Fri 12-Jul-13 23:08:38

Ugh it's just a big pile of shite!!

Drhamsterstortoise Fri 12-Jul-13 22:32:40

Yeah it shocked me too!have underactive thyroid though which makes hair and skin dry.I'm doing everything I can now after second dd.Drinking water,using facial oil,bravura glycolic peel,factor 50,cutting out processed food and upping the healthy stuff,kerastase hair oil and exercise.Body looks good but face looks tired.I've big bags and dull skin.5 years ago I had lovely skin and no bags.Gets me down but I've two lovely children

thismousebites Fri 12-Jul-13 22:16:24

Join the club.
And TBH losing weight as you get older will only make you look more haggard.....think Peter Cushing.
I remember looking in the mirror at 34 feeling quite smug about my wrinkle free face. One year later, after DS1 I looked in the same mirror and though "Oh, the irony".

MrTumblesBeerBelly Fri 12-Jul-13 22:11:37

..one to looking sallow and, I don't know, intense or something (my eyes are nearly black, dark skin, prone to shadows etc)

ChocolateBiscuitCake Fri 12-Jul-13 22:10:27

Cut out the booze too.

I used to have a medicinal bottle glass every night to celebrate surviving the day when the kids went to bed and noticed that I just look old: bags, jowls, chins, dull skin...

I now drink three times more water, eat less crap cos I'm not hungover and my skin has improved dramatically.

Also, get your hair done. Always makes me feel so much better smile

MrTumblesBeerBelly Fri 12-Jul-13 22:10:23

Thanks for advice and thyroid tip, will check it out now. My hair is same as ever, bit dry maybe but that's because of highlights (desperate attempt to brighten face!)

I'm half Asian so pr

RandallPinkFloyd Fri 12-Jul-13 22:05:47

Give it another year. Honestly, I felt the same until my DS was 18mo. He's 2 next month and I feel great now.

Sounds daft I know but it sort of peaked at 18 months and it's got steadily better since then. Don't get me wrong I've never exactly been a looker but I actually quite like what I see in the mirror these days.

If dropping those 7lb will make you feel better then do it, but only do it for you and because you want to. You'll get you back soon. The first year is the biggest transition period you'll ever have, don't be too hard on yourself, you're doing great.

smile

Fakebook Fri 12-Jul-13 22:01:34

Beauty comes from within. Don't waste money on fancy creams.

Take co enzyme Q, vitamin D and vitamin D supplements. Break open one vitamin E capsule, mix with your normal moisturiser and use on face and eyes every night.

Eat your fruits and vegetables and cut down on the caffeine drinks.

DumSpiroSpero Fri 12-Jul-13 21:57:37

Hesterton is right - well worth getting your thyroid checked. It's not uncommon for thyroid function to take a dive after pregnancy.

baskingseals Fri 12-Jul-13 21:56:46

A full time nanny is the only cure

DumSpiroSpero Fri 12-Jul-13 21:55:51

Clarins Facial Treatment Oil is amazing stuff.

£30 a bottle but out posts a good while. I've never used it without someone commenting on my skin, even if it looked rubbish an hour earlier.

Maybe a supplement like Perfectil might be worth a try as well.

hesterton Fri 12-Jul-13 21:54:37

check for thyroid. whats your hair like?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now