Nurses eating on shift...

(576 Posts)
PatsyAndEddy Fri 12-Jul-13 20:44:24

Just back from hospital visiting a friend who had her tonsils out today. She had to fast from 10 pm last night and didn't get taken for her op until 2pm, that's a long time without food for anyone!

She missed dinner on the ward but they got her a sandwich but she's really sore and hungry!

On the ward her bed is right next to the nurses station. She said they were sitting munching on a large bag of kettle chips in front of her between the three of them. She commented on how she thought that was a but mean, they snapped back saying 'well we have to eat' at which point my friend reminded them that's what they're breaks were for.

I don't think she's flavour of the month in the ward! She can be a bit of a grump at the best of times but starving, sore and groggy I think she reached her limit!

We're the nurses being unreasonable, eating on shift?

nataliedewdrop Tue 13-Aug-13 11:09:45

I am an ICU nurse where the ratio for nurse to patient should be 1:1 because how critically ill the patients are, but this is not the case. The unit is very short meaning the ratio can be 1:3.

But previous to working in ICU I worked on an infectious/respiratory ward with 38 beds and on nights could be the only qualified nurse on shift with 3 health care assistants, although the health care assistants were extremely competent the buck lied with me. So eating my lunch at the nurses station was my only option, the patients we were caring for were not like in the carry on movies where they just lay in bed, we had patients in severe pain who needed comfort and care, we had numerous patients who suffered with dementia and unless had observation could be at risk of falls and hurting themselves.

Sometimes bringing up these issues with nursing managers just goes through one ear and out the other, this is a national problem. I can understand that not all nurses are angels and are unprofessional, however we do not deserve to be tarred with the same brush. Perhaps people should work a week shadowing an NHS nurse/doctor/healthcare assistant etc to see how difficult the job is.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now