Ice Cream Vans

(102 Posts)
sbear Fri 12-Jul-13 20:29:08

Am I being unreasonable to suggest ice cream vans should be banned from areas near schools (for health reasons) and in built up residential areas so that the tunes do not annoy people?
There is a growing problem with obesity in children in this country and to strive to improve school meals to help kids but then to allow ice cream vans to park near schools seems to defeat the object.

I live near a park, a school and my DD's nursery. Summer is ice cream van hell. I don't like:
1. The noise pollution which is only going to get worse now that the government has decided to relax the laws and they can play for 12 seconds rather than 4 seconds. Also they can now play whilst stationary. They play all day every day from may till october. When my DD was a young baby she couldn't nap in the day as the vans going past blaring out their tunes would wake her up! ( I don't think they were keeping to the 4 second rule either) http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/shortcuts

2. giving my children sugar if I can help it so its really annoying when I can't leave the house without an ice cream van being nearby.

3. That the ice cream is terrible anyway! Maybe if they sold good ice cream or frozen yogurt or something healthier it would be more acceptable. But the sugary terrible ice cream they sell is awful.

The only bright spot is that I told my DD that when the music plays it means they have runout of ice cream so if they are playing for longer... not sure how long she will believe that for though.

I would love to hear what other parents think.

all the best
sbear.

Travelledtheworld Fri 12-Jul-13 23:38:16

There is an ice van outside my daughters selective Grammar school every lunchtime, does a roaring trade. Not sure i old expect it. Be banned but would expect a swoop by the drugs squad.

Travelledtheworld Fri 12-Jul-13 23:39:04

Sorry " would expect it to be banned ".

ThoughtfulSilence Fri 12-Jul-13 23:41:40

Ours comes at 7pm each night, every time I have to tell the DC who have just gone to bed that no, they can't have one and I have to resist the temptation to scoff a Magnum or two.

They should be banned I tell you, banned!

madamginger Sat 13-Jul-13 00:00:18

I'd like to ban the one outside our school. It parks round a blind corner on white lines on a dropped curb. Its a fucking menace and one day a child is going to be hit by a car.
He only stays about 10 minutes after the bell and then legs it up to the local park before the same kids get there.
The one that comes down our street can stay though, his 99s are yummy.

Funghoul Sat 13-Jul-13 00:28:32

Love the one that parks outside my mums house. We all watch intently, trying to be the first one to spot him handing the drugs over grin

cornypony Sat 13-Jul-13 00:34:47

surely ice cream vans selling drugs is an urban myth

MidniteScribbler Sat 13-Jul-13 00:35:23

Some people are determined to suck all the fun out of life.

landofmakebelieve Sat 13-Jul-13 00:41:01

YABU. Just ignore the ice cream van tone in future if you don't want to listen it.
Just because it's sending out its "buy me" message, doesn't mean you HAVE to.
Just say no every once in a while. It won't traumatize them.
(This coming from a parent of two small children.)

landofmakebelieve Sat 13-Jul-13 00:42:38

Love the one that parks outside my mums house. We all watch intently, trying to be the first one to spot him handing the drugs over grin

where the **k do you live?!

Gosh your like the Scrooge of summer!

All very well only giving you child tofu and honey suckle leaves but lighten up a bit!

You know, you're under no obligation to buy it? confused

We're living on a ghost estate, the ice cream van comes here just for my children. If I don't have the money or they've had too many treats already they run out and say no thanks. No biggie.

As for the music.... Are you the type of person who winges about Christmas songs at Christmas too? It's ice cream van music... The sound of summer!

FirstStopCafe Sat 13-Jul-13 03:17:04

YABU I love ice cream vans

thornrose Sat 13-Jul-13 03:47:51

I love ice cream vans but I do think that parking outside school is not on.

Tired, hungry children begging for ice cream at the end of every school day is a bit wearing. Especially when "everyone else has one though"!

Burmobasher Sat 13-Jul-13 04:46:15

We have a van come down our road everyday and it still gives me a tingle of excitement. What sort of a joyless world do you want us to live in?
Yabu, go treat yourself to a 99 with raspberry sauce and all the sprinkles. It might cheer you up!

PatsyAndEddy Sat 13-Jul-13 05:49:08

Absolutely not an urban myth. Spend 30 seconds on Google.

isitsnowingyet Sat 13-Jul-13 05:58:44

Can you send your ice cream van down our way - we don't get one!! shock and would like one shock - erm without the drugs, just the ice cream would do.

Buzzardbird Sat 13-Jul-13 06:03:05

Definitely not an urban myth for my old school friend who is currently eating porridge at the queens pleasure...had a lovely big fleet of vans he did.

Whothefuckfarted Sat 13-Jul-13 08:54:48

YABU.

RedHelenB Sat 13-Jul-13 09:02:03

YABU!

fledtoscotland Sat 13-Jul-13 10:04:36

I love the ice cream van apart from it comes at 5pm so DC want I've cream and then don't eat their meal. If it can't round at 3pm I would be much happier

Pagwatch Sat 13-Jul-13 10:21:33

I love ice cream vans
The one that parks outside DDs school is part of the joy of summer.
On the last day of schooling bought her a cone that was nearly the size of her head.

If a child's diet is generally fantastic then a treat becomes what it ought to be - a lovely thing.
If your child is overweight it will not be because an ice cream van parks outside your school.

I was gutted we missed the van at the park yesterday. Just because it's there, doesn't mean you have to buy one.

I thought you were just being PFB at the start but now I see you are insufferably smug with it. If it makes you happier OP, just give your child homemade organic low sugar icecream with freerange unicorn sparkles.

By the time you have the second, they will both be having a McFlurry now and then.

Remotecontrolduck Sat 13-Jul-13 10:33:34

We have one almost permanently parked near us! (We live by a minor touristy landmark) I love it grin

YABU. Have you listened to yourself? Is this really such a massive worry for you? It's a non issue, say no if you don't want to buy one and move on!

cerealqueen Sat 13-Jul-13 10:38:53

YAVBU - and a dementor, sucking the joy out of life.

I bet you also complained about the milkman who whistled in the morning and has now been banned from whistling!!

SueDoku Sat 13-Jul-13 12:45:36

OP I'm with you all the way about the noise...! Every ice-cream van that comes into the road where I live pulls up opposite my house. In my living room I can't hear the television, hold a conversation or talk on the phone (there is always 'Where's that ice-cream van?' in an amazed tone from whoever I'm talking to, as it sounds as if the van's in my living room angry)

In summer, a van pulls up approx every half an hour, from about 10am to 8pm. It is really, REALLY irritating, and the only thing that's made it bearable up to now is knowing that they have to turn the chimes off soon (although a lot of them finish the whole song, stationary or not, before they do so). And now this sodding Government has given them free rein to play continuously - Give me strength..!!

If anyone sees a woman attacking an ice-cream van with a hammer, it'll probably be me......smile - this is a menacing smile...!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now