Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

WIBU to ask for dd's school report to be amended and re printed

(46 Posts)

With her name instead of that of a random other child in the headteachers comments?

YWNBU - flag that up straight away. Appalling.

EmmaGellerGreen Fri 12-Jul-13 18:17:37

Some of us have received reports that have made us cry - and not in a good way. If all I had to moan about was a wrong name, I would be in a much happier place. YABU

I'm sorry to hear that Emma. Was it an unpleasant surprise or expected but still upsetting?

GW297 Fri 12-Jul-13 18:19:48

YWDNBU - unacceptable and may make them check more carefully next year!

CharlieCoCo Fri 12-Jul-13 18:19:56

seriously? someone here is moaning that you want to get your child's report to say her name and not somebody else's?? AND calling you unreasonable. I really dont understand some people confused

yes, ask them to amend it-and make sure if was your childs report and not that other childs grin

OddBoots Fri 12-Jul-13 18:22:45

It is worth checking that it is your child them were thinking of when commenting but if it is could you just cross through and correct the name?

pinkmagic1 Fri 12-Jul-13 18:23:06

I had this the other year, at least 2 other kids names mentioned within the report and my DS name spelt wrong on the front! Not acceptable.

angusandelspethsthistlewhistle Fri 12-Jul-13 18:24:45

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DaddyPigsMistress Fri 12-Jul-13 18:24:58

Oh for gods sake ds1 gets shocking levels in his reports. every year they make me cry

Doesnt mean others cant be pissed at the wrong name!

Yanbu, especially if you keep the reports for when the child is older, i would ask them to fix it

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks England Fri 12-Jul-13 18:34:38

YWNBU.
We received DD's report today, and as at parents evening I was told she was top of the class, doing work meant for the year above, I was shocked to open DDs report that says she is struggling a little in Maths and has been marked as adequate rather than good in all subjects. Every subject has a 3 next to it. I intend to chat to the teacher about this as if she had told us at parents evening DD was struggling a bit we could have organised some home learning to help her.
Plus on the comments section the teacher raved about her writing, but scored her as adequate... hmm .

LadyBryan Fri 12-Jul-13 18:36:21

Absolutely flag it up.

Utterly shoddy.

MayTheOddsBeEverInYourFavour Fri 12-Jul-13 18:37:24

YANBU

The very least you can expect is the correct child's name!

Emma you really think this is ok just because your child got a bad (but I assume factually accurate) report? hmm

manicinsomniac Brazil Fri 12-Jul-13 18:41:09

YANBU and they will be happy to do it.

You don't have to put up with it but it isn't an appalling mistake, these things happen. Our reports go through a first and then a second check and still the odd mistake will sometimes slip through. Just human error.

lordleofric Fri 12-Jul-13 19:26:24

In my last report from primary school, my class teacher called me 'Susan'. That is not my name. It is similar but... The correct name was at the head of the report. It's not difficult. DS2 has received a report in which one teacher addresses him as 'Nathon'. hmm

YANBU

Alliwantisaroomsomewhere Fri 12-Jul-13 19:29:22

YANBU at all.

Turniptwirl Fri 12-Jul-13 19:44:34

Yanbu!

Don't let other people's DCs getting bad reports make you feel bad for wanting this corrected.

decaffwithcream Fri 12-Jul-13 19:57:02

I would assume the comment was about the other child and had been put on the wrong report.

Impossible to know if the comment is about your child or another child unless it was about some unique facet of your child's progress.

Bogeyface Netherlands Fri 12-Jul-13 20:06:52

I had this with one of DD2's reports, 2 of the sections had the wrong name and were at odd with the rest of the report. So I questioned it and it was the correct report for the child with that name, but C&P'd into DD's report by mistake.

I wasnt too bothered for us, but I can imagine that having the glowing report that DD got as she is in the G&T program (not boasting, this is relevant) would be very upsetting for the parent of the other child who, from what was written about them seemed to have severe learning and behaviour issues. If I was them I would have been fuming.

Merguez Fri 12-Jul-13 20:14:19

It is an appalling mistake for the school to make and you should definitely point it out to them.

mrsjay Fri 12-Jul-13 20:18:34

I had that once when dd1 was in primary It said Emma is a pleasant girl who needs to concentrate more but is a pleasure to teach , dd name is not Emma shock. I know teachers have 20 odd reports to write but I then had the inkling that everybody got the same generic message on the end of reports, after that, The teacher did apologise

NoComet Fri 12-Jul-13 20:23:23

DD2 always knew which bits of her report the HT had written (he taught them one day a week) as he spelt her name wrong every time.

Clearly no one proofs the finished article. The OPs right it is careless.

lougle Fri 12-Jul-13 20:28:39

My DD1 had a Core Assessment by a Social Worker. A legal document. I had to point out that at the beginning of the report her name was 'Mindy' and her DF's name was 'Jim' and by the end of the report her name was 'Mandy' and his name was 'John'. shock

YANBU.

How about if the report is littered with small grammar mistakes? I realise anyone can make a small mistake, but several, in one report? Both the teacher and the head are at fault imo. When I was a teacher, our head proofread every report and pulled up any teacher who made errors. I am appalled by the poor standard of literacy in my children's reports.

And yes, definitely demand a report with your child's name in it.

I have reports from my childhood in which my name is not accurately shown and it is/was irritating and frankly does not engender respect for the teacher.

angusandelspethsthistlewhistle Fri 12-Jul-13 20:34:02

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now