Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to think if we are going out for family meal ds should get one too

(86 Posts)
likesnowflakesinanocean Fri 12-Jul-13 13:41:02

family occasion coming up, two elder relatives have decided to take family out totalling about 18 people so has to be booked. my dad told me in passing yesterday that they won't be ordering ds age 6 a meal because it would be a waste of money. ds is quite a good eater there are lots of things he likes. I then said well I will pay for ds meal. oh no they are going to ask for a small plate so he can have bits that won't get wasted. aibu to think if you invite us out for a meal you invite us all and that 6yo ds is capable of eating a children's meal in restaurant. its not as though they don't see him often so know that he will. wibu to say we were not going if this is the case.

FoxyRevenger Fri 12-Jul-13 13:42:56

Well, he's 6, he should have a meal of his own, not scraps! A 1 year old, fair enough, but 6?

I would just not mention it again and order DS a meal at the time; if there's any debate just pay for it yourself.

Robinredboobs Fri 12-Jul-13 13:44:12

Yanbu. Thought you were going to say he was 2 or 3 years old..then maybe sharing a plate would be fine. To do that to a 6 year old is mean.

likesnowflakesinanocean Fri 12-Jul-13 13:44:15

I thought that too, wouldn't object if he was a toddler but he is 6 that week. good idea about paying when there.

My 15mo gets a meal when we go out! Surely at 6 he's perfectly capable of sitting and eating a meal with family? I'm a bit baffled by their logic really.

Groovee Fri 12-Jul-13 13:45:34

My children have always had good appetites. I'd order a meal regardless

NinaJade666 Fri 12-Jul-13 13:47:07

What foxy said.

How bloody rude!

likesnowflakesinanocean Fri 12-Jul-13 13:47:27

I'm baffled too, he goes there for tea so they know he will sit and eat. they do a children's roast which he loves.

BrandiBroke Fri 12-Jul-13 13:47:35

I agree with Foxy. Just go and when you get there ask the staff if they can add on a child's meal that you will pay for separately. I'm sure they will do this.

DaddyPigsMistress Fri 12-Jul-13 13:48:03

What?! My two year old wouldnt be content with peoples scraps!

Yanbu

Meglet Fri 12-Jul-13 13:48:14

yanbu. My DS can eat a decent sized meal in a restaurant, he'd be whingy and hungry eating leftovers.

Sirzy Fri 12-Jul-13 13:48:34

Of course a 6 year old should have a meal. What a strange thing to suggest!

Dackyduddles Fri 12-Jul-13 13:48:45

Just order yourself on the night and watch them eat words as he cleans plate.

Hopefully, else they will sit triumphant!

raisah Fri 12-Jul-13 13:49:13

Take him and order and pay for his meal to show that he is a good eater. They can't stop you from buying your son a meal so swallow your pride & go, this is your opportunity to show them up.

Dackyduddles Fri 12-Jul-13 13:49:33

Reckon they just don't want to pay....

PrincessKitKat Fri 12-Jul-13 13:52:18

Scraps from others plates?!!!
Have they booked a restaurant in 1804?!

ihearsounds Fri 12-Jul-13 13:52:24

Show up and order him a meal. My youngest would be offended at not having his own meal, and would not shut up asking where his meal was.. He would not accept other peoples scraps. He would eat his own meal and depending what I/dp/siblings were having, help us as well..

5madthings Fri 12-Jul-13 13:52:51

Yanbu even my two year old gets a meal when we go out. If I tried to just give my five year old bits of mine etc he would be very unimpressed!

likesnowflakesinanocean Fri 12-Jul-13 13:53:28

I wondered if it was cost, but they aren't short of money they are paying for entire meal for all guests. feel abit put out as 9 and 11 yr old family no questions but ds supposedly will waste it.

wonderingifiam2013 Fri 12-Jul-13 13:53:28

Can you politely tell your Dad that you won't be sharing your meal as your DS eats far too much! But you're happy if they want to share theirs ... wink

Then suggest it might be sensible to order him a children's meal after all - so as not to 'spoil' anyone elses meal and leave THEM hungry wink

likesnowflakesinanocean Fri 12-Jul-13 13:56:02

that would be hilariousgrin he would go round take everyone else's meat and be quite happygrin.

NatashaBee Fri 12-Jul-13 13:59:42

YANBU. DS isn't even 2 and will polish off a kids meal! I'd send your son over to your dad to beg for scraps and annoy him <childish>

TWinklyLittleStar Fri 12-Jul-13 14:00:04

Haha, they are being very unreasonable, at 6 my nephew could eat more than me when the mood took him. My family would never.suggest this because the scraps my relatives would leave.wouldn't feed a gnat on hunger strike.

wonderingifiam2013 Fri 12-Jul-13 14:01:35

and then scoop a mahooosive spoonful of dessert into his mouth ... followed by 'please sir ... grin

They're just being mean - in all seriousness, if it's going to cause problems I agree with the posters above about ordering him a meal when you get there

likesnowflakesinanocean Fri 12-Jul-13 14:02:15

should say not my dad who's saying no meal for ds its the elderly relatives who are planning the meal. think it will be a case of ds gets own meal or we don't go. am working so hard trying to get him to recognise he is growing up a bit things like this I don't want to encourage

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now