Speaking and listening: 2A
Maths: 2B
Writing: 2A

This year YR3:

Reading: 3A
Speaking and listening: 3C
Maths: 2A
Writing: 3B

The report says its a shame DD hasn't made expected progress with reading (which er she has if I'm correct about two sub levels?). Mentions nothing about the fact she hasn't made expected progress in Maths or speaking and listening. Informs me that to improve DD needs to read more at home (she's just finished the fourth Harry Potter at 7). And then lists her main strength as um reading hmm

It also tells me how much she enjoyed the school trip she didn't go on.....

echt Sat 13-Jul-13 02:20:01

In my school, all reports are read and signed off by someone else before they go out. In this way, lots of typos and inconsistencies are spotted. After the umpteenth report, it can be very difficult spot the errors in your own work, but they leap to the eye of an outsider.

This doesn't get round the stultifying effects of statement banks, but much of that is down to decisions made by the institution.

Apart from the level attained, I'm interested in work habits: having equipment for the lesson, handing in work on time/at all, being punctual to lessons, all strong indicators of later success, once basic ability is taken into account. There'll be one or two who buck this trend, but they are exceptional in my experience.

As a parent I want to know how my child can improve, and it's the quality of this advice that is important. As important is that there should be no surprises in a report; the teacher should be able to point to a paper trail of evidence of how they've been feeding back to the child. To be fair, when I've asked parents if they've ever read any of the reams of feedback I give to their child, the answer is always no. It's a good job I keep copies, but when the communication between child and parent is so poor, I'm stumped.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now