Proposal that people with donor cards are given priority over those that don't when needing an organ?

(252 Posts)
angelos02 Thu 11-Jul-13 11:21:01

DM Link if you want more detail:
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2359972/Is-fair-dont-Organ-donors-jump-transplant-waiting-list-NHS-plans-boost-donation-levels.html

I can't see why anyone would argue against this. I do think an exception would have to be made for people that can't be donors due to medical reasons. Apart from that, why on earth not?

SoupDragon Wed 17-Jul-13 07:39:31

Language issues aren't an issue at all. Every single document comes in what seems to be 20 different languages.
Anyone with limited capability for understanding should be automatically opted out.
Literacy issues, I imagine would be dealt with however you usually deal with things you can't read. It's a simple yes/no thing.

The point is that other countries have opt out systems. Have they not considered these issues already? Does the system work well there? Are the British inherently more stupid and unable to cope with making a choice to opt out?

SoupDragon Wed 17-Jul-13 07:43:17

On one of these threads something was mentioned about how funeral parlours etc "respect the dead". That is purely for the benefit of the living. Any choice of cremation/burial/put on the compost heap is purely honouring the memory of the deceased. The dead don't care.

As an aside, can relatives give permission for organs to be donated even where there is no donor card/registration?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now