To be so angry and upset by this?

(179 Posts)
babyperks Wed 10-Jul-13 23:21:07

One of my college friends was talking about booking her wedding for either next August/September. I was really happy and excited for her, and looking forward to her big day.

Then tonight I find out she's booked it for the same date as mine and OH's anniversary, when she knows full well that it's our day. angry

I am so angry and upset about it, but don't know if I'm overreacting?

So, AIBU?

HeySoulSister Wed 10-Jul-13 23:22:45

She's a college friend? Not someone who is really close to you then?

Does it really matter which date it's on?

SweetHoneyBeeeeee Wed 10-Jul-13 23:22:46

YABU. Get over it, you don't own the day grin

EldritchCleavage Wed 10-Jul-13 23:23:37

Yep.

It's not a day you can ring-fence so no one in your friendship circle EVER does anything significant on that day. Your anniversary will not be less meaningful because it is also someone elses's, it really won't.

Shrugged Wed 10-Jul-13 23:23:39

This is a joke, right? Or have you really bought up all future rights to September the 17th?

propertyNIGHTmareBEFOREXMAS Wed 10-Jul-13 23:23:44

Yabu

pigletmania Wed 10-Jul-13 23:23:57

Yabvvvvu and overreacting, enjoy teir day and ave your celebrations another day. It not going to be lik that every year is it!

BOF Wed 10-Jul-13 23:24:15

Of course you are over-reacting! You do know that there are eleventy million people with the same anniversary, right? You sound rather a high maintenance friend.

KalevalaForMePlease Wed 10-Jul-13 23:24:38

Are you being serious? It's your day? So nothing else can ever happen on that day because it belongs to you, does it? Get over yourself. You sound unhinged.

jessjessjess Wed 10-Jul-13 23:24:51

YABU. Seriously. You don't own the date.

A friend of mine is getting married on our wedding anniversary. I congratulated her for having such good taste in dates! Can't you go to the wedding and celebrate the next day?

IsThatTrue Wed 10-Jul-13 23:24:51

YABU

Hth

AnyFucker Wed 10-Jul-13 23:25:04

Geddoverit

babyperks Wed 10-Jul-13 23:25:12

She's was actually a close friend.
But I get it, I'm overreacting. Still doesn't mean I can't be upset about it though.

Twunk Wed 10-Jul-13 23:25:30

YABVU

To be angry and upset is a massive overreaction. Tbh being slightly peeved would be odd.

AntlersInAllOfMyDecorating Wed 10-Jul-13 23:25:43

Assuming this is not an Reverse AIBU... or a joke.

You better Alert The Media - write to the papers to get them vying for an exclusive, and make sure Britain knows this is Your Day (TM).

YABCU.

CloudsAndTrees Wed 10-Jul-13 23:25:55

Erm, yeah, you are seriously over reacting!

aderynlas Wed 10-Jul-13 23:26:44

Hope they have a lovely wedding. Why not just go have a great time and remember your day too.

maddy68 Wed 10-Jul-13 23:26:51

hmm if you have mutal friends I can see that being a problem but it probably wast done deliberatly, its just a dat ethat fits in with everyone (except you) sad

I can see why you are upset but It really isnt worth upsettng yourself over

OMG I have just re read this - so you are already married? TOTAL over reaction -
she probably doesnt even realise its your annniversary - I never remember my own anniversary!
TBH what a nice way to celebrate your anniversary than to be at a wedding!!
You sound very precious and immature

Pobblewhohasnotoes Wed 10-Jul-13 23:27:07

Is this a joke?

Of course yabu. The only people that should care about your anniversary are you and your partner.

Suzieismyname Wed 10-Jul-13 23:27:13

It WAS your day the year you got married for you, your husband and your family and friends.
Now it's only a special day for you and your husband.
YABVU

ChippingInGoAndyGo Wed 10-Jul-13 23:27:47

YABU and very odd.

'A' college friend? Not even your best friend?

What actual difference does it make??

maddy68 Wed 10-Jul-13 23:28:13

jeeze remind me to use a PC and not my phone when typing - looks like some chavtastic text speak - phones and false nails do not mix well!

Pobblewhohasnotoes Wed 10-Jul-13 23:28:26

You don't have the monopoly over that date.

RaisingChaotic Wed 10-Jul-13 23:28:46

I hate to break this to you but it's extremely unlikely that you and your dh were the only ones to get married on that day.

YABVU

BOF Wed 10-Jul-13 23:29:24

Did you ever see that Derren Brown thing that showed how you only need a room of twenty-odd people to find two with the same birthday?

Honestly, it's no big deal- it isn't like your friends celebrate with you on your wedding anniversary; very few other people even send you a card. I actually think it would be quite nice to one time spend your anniversary getting fed and watered in an atmosphere of romance. What's your problem?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now