Are bare shoulders acceptable in work?

(81 Posts)

Am a teacher in a comp. today I considered wearing a strappy top. Nothing see through . Just a top with thin straps. I didn't wear it because my shoulders would have been exposed. But did think to myself what is the problem with shoulders?
In work a colleague was spoken to about wearing a strapless top by a senior member of staff who was wearing a dress with thin shoulder straps.

So what is acceptable? And when did shoulders become something seductive?

alemci Fri 12-Jul-13 09:38:50

Kras for me it was better to wear a sleeveless top as I outlined earlier. otherwise I take 2 similar tops and change them over. I don't like anyone to see my cleavage but where I work you do see some sights from Staff.

thank goodness I am not in work 'til September especially not this week. i

Trills Fri 12-Jul-13 09:43:09

Does your school have a sixthform? Do they wear uniform, or "office wear"? If they are supposed to dress smartly but not in uniform then the rule would be "would you be happy for them to be wearing it?".

My DD (15) isn't allowed to wear, or do PE in a strappy top, the same rule should then apply to staff (except make up).

It is about looking professional.

How hot it is has nothing to do with needing to wear less clothes, it is the fabric that is important and the fit, people manage to be fully covered in other countries, Eygpt, India, Rome etc, in work (and about), wearing cotton/linen etc, which keeps the body cooler than a clingy vest top.

alemci Fri 12-Jul-13 10:01:05

Hi

not sure if you were asking me. 6th form is ultra scruffy. they are allowed to wear most things.

I dress conservatively but on a couple of days I wore a sleeveless top which came up reasonably high on the neck so no cleavage. I think i still looked fine.

also some schools are like greenhouses with lots of glass and no air con as in some offices.

flipchart Fri 12-Jul-13 10:05:57

I read this thread before I went to work yesterday.
I went into a staff meeting and checked out what everyone was wearing.
Bloke 1 shorts and polo shirt
Bloke 2 jeans and a superdry t shirt
manager knee length skirt and sleeveless vest top with sequins
deputy manager 3/4 pants with spaghetti top vest
women 2 had white trousers with t shirt tops, 1 had denim mini skirt and vest top. I had a Sundress on and another had a White Stuff skirt and linen shirt

Everyone looked good.

Trills Fri 12-Jul-13 10:18:29

Sixth forms in schools (as opposed to separate sixth forms) generally have an "office wear" dress code.

I was mainly asking the OP, since she was asking what was appropriate dress code for a teacher.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now