Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

To mention to a dear friend that her 4 yo DD has body odour?

(29 Posts)
Ham69 Wed 10-Jul-13 23:01:05

I have a lovely, sensitive 'school gate' friend who I have spent a lot of time with recently. She's a very caring mum but does worry and over analyse things on occasion.
I have her DD back on regular playdates as she is in the same nursery class as my dd and they're great friends. They play dressing up games a lot and I can't help but notice the strong body odour my friend's dd has under her armpits. It slightly concerns me as she is very sensitive and starts school with my dd in September and children could pick up on it and be cruel.
So, do I mention it? Or should I mind my own business? Or any suggestions what it could be?

If you do say anything, mention it in a light way and not suggesting it needs treating, or medical intervention.

My middle DD (now nearly 18) had strong BO from around this age, she has hormone problems and PCOS, she just had to grow up and manage that symptom, she attends a clinic for her other problems.

During her teen years her friends made jokes about it, which she joined in, it existed, but wasn't a problem, or a bullying issue.

Whilst smelly kids do get picked on, the problem usually has to be all over dirt, not just smelly armpits.

valiumredhead Thu 11-Jul-13 10:28:15

No, don't say anything! What makes you think she doesn't already know and it's dealing with it? She might have chosen not to discuss it with you. This will do nothing but embarrass her and it's really not your business tbh.

valiumredhead Thu 11-Jul-13 10:29:14

Totally agree with fuzzy

Say something. A friend of mine noticed that her friend's DD had a lazy eye (really really chronic) but didn't say anything as she felt there was no way on earth that the friend or a paediatrician can't have noticed. 1 year later her friend told her that the girl's eyesight was now damaged beyond repair and she would have to wear corrective lenses for the rest of her life as it was too late for surgery. She kicks herself every time she sees the little girl as she could have said something and saved her sight. Too sad. The friend since told me (in a very gentle way) that she was concerned about my DS's hand flapping and I was glad she did although as it happens there was nothing to worry about.

Your friend may be completely unaware.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now