Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to unfriend, unfollow and generally avoid like the plague anyone who uses the word 'hollibobs'

(113 Posts)
MmeLindor Germany Wed 10-Jul-13 21:45:11

You have not just returned from your 'hollibobs'. You were on holiday. I can cope with 'vacation' if you are from North America.

The word 'hollibobs' has MORE LETTERS than the word that you are replacing it with.

And it makes you look dim.

MmeLindor Germany Fri 12-Jul-13 09:52:52

MrsG
Where does diddly dancers come from?

We used to say teethypegs to the kids, but I think the whole point is that these are words that are slightly irritating when speaking with babies. Grown women using the word 'hollibobs' just makes me shudder.

Annual leave is annoying.

They're out of the office. For administrative purposes their absence may be accounted for out of their annual leave allowance, but since they are absent on more than one occasion per year it isn't "annual". Fuck off.

Notafoodbabyanymore Fri 12-Jul-13 07:42:29

Sorry, but "stabby" makes me... well... you know...

harryhausen Fri 12-Jul-13 07:30:32

Holibobs = no.

I also can't abide anyone who facebook's "Wine O'Clock" and thinks they're being original and hilarious. Just no.

Cuntibobs = yes.

MrsGeologist Fri 12-Jul-13 06:54:17

Oh and hollibobs is shit, I agree.

MrsGeologist Fri 12-Jul-13 06:53:41

Hubbington on Seabury has tickled me grin

I'm guilty of of using the words 'diddly dancers' instead of stairs. In my defence, my parents started it.

ArtemisKelda Fri 12-Jul-13 06:46:36

I don't mind hollibobs at all and crimbo doesn't bother me either.

DD is teething and the one that really makes me growl is when people say peggies to her instead of teeth. Ffs, is it that difficult to use the correct word instead of baby talk nonsense?

Portofino Fri 12-Jul-13 06:20:17

Only 7 sleeps til my holibobs!

SarahAndFuck England Fri 12-Jul-13 00:37:34

Someone said "jollibobs" to me yesterday. hmm

Hubbington on Seasbury though! shock

MmeLindor Germany Thu 11-Jul-13 23:29:56

As in 'I'm going to the cinema with my Hubbington on Seasbury'??

How could anyone hear that and not slap their friend with a cold wet fish?

Bluestocking Thu 11-Jul-13 23:16:04

"Hubbington on Seasbury"?
Words fail me.

ArtexMonkey Thu 11-Jul-13 23:15:04

I saw someone on here once tell of a friend who used the term Hubbington on Seasbury to describe her dh, it made me snort then and it made me snort now when I just remembered it.

MmeLindor Germany Thu 11-Jul-13 23:02:52

True. I was replying to a comment earlier about the word gallivanting.

Hollibobs is in a whole new category

Bluestocking Thu 11-Jul-13 18:14:54

MmeL, I don't think "titivating" and "gallivanting" are in the same league as "hollibobs". They're just (possibly self-consciously) quaint and old-fashioned, not desperately trying to be cutesy.

MmeLindor Germany Thu 11-Jul-13 12:11:25

Oh, I get it. #dim

I am not seriously considering this option. I would have no friends left on FB.

[reconsiders the whole point of having a FB account]

[awaits flaming for using a hashtag on MN]

gamerchick Thu 11-Jul-13 11:16:57

Heh, like I said.. The use of the D key. Every keyboard has one and I see it used an awful lot on here..Even by you Mme. Some things irritate, but you do what other people do and ignore it.

Wanting to delete somebody who types or talks innocently in a way that annoys you is pretty strange tbh.. Jokey threads exempt of course ;)

MmeLindor Germany Thu 11-Jul-13 11:11:19

Greenhill
My mum and dad go 'gallivanting', and my mum says, 'I am almost finished titivating myself, then we can go'.

freddiefrog Thu 11-Jul-13 10:44:57

I hate hollibobs and jollies and phrases like that

But then I caught myself saying 'righty-ho' grin

greenhill Thu 11-Jul-13 10:40:59

Do anyone else's parents go 'gallivanting' when they have a day trip? Or has the expression died out completely?

Skintorama Thu 11-Jul-13 09:55:05

Jollies in this house are short breaks away without the DC, either separately or (rarely) together.

Holibobs are either actual family holidays or just the school holibobs.

BarnYardCow Thu 11-Jul-13 09:51:37

Have to admit, have stored the holiday info file as hollibobs! And every now and then I take a ikkle peak at it! Dh did say wtf, but must know by now where it is from!

MmeLindor Germany Thu 11-Jul-13 09:35:28

Miffy
Now that I have made you aware of it, you will see it everywhere

Yes, Jollies are thinly disguised holidays, passed off as a business trip

miffybun73 Thu 11-Jul-13 09:27:45

YANBU, just awful.

Never heard it before and hopefully never will again smile

Bumpotato Thu 11-Jul-13 09:24:28

I always think jollies are different to holidays. A jolly is a business trip or team building away day that is more fun than work in my mind.

Bumpotato Thu 11-Jul-13 09:22:47

I always think jollies are s

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now