Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to unfriend, unfollow and generally avoid like the plague anyone who uses the word 'hollibobs'

(113 Posts)
MmeLindor Germany Wed 10-Jul-13 21:45:11

You have not just returned from your 'hollibobs'. You were on holiday. I can cope with 'vacation' if you are from North America.

The word 'hollibobs' has MORE LETTERS than the word that you are replacing it with.

And it makes you look dim.

LittleIllusionMachine Wed 10-Jul-13 21:55:02

YANBU it's just so fucking twee!

gamerchick Wed 10-Jul-13 21:57:42

im not arsed how it makes me look.. Other peoples opinions don't bother me much ;)

The excessive use of the D key gets on my norks slightly, but I choose to ignore it.. Because who really gives a toss?

LaQueen Wed 10-Jul-13 21:58:16

Must say though... I'm loving holibags, even more...

Or how about holliwollidoodleallday...?

MmeLindor Germany Wed 10-Jul-13 21:58:31

What is the D key? Now you have me confused.

I am too old for this.

phantomhairpuller Wed 10-Jul-13 21:59:30

I say 'hollibobs' and 'windy pops' wink
<runs and hides>

JackNoneReacher Wed 10-Jul-13 22:00:11

why is it irritating?

Not precisely sure but just reading it over and over is making me feel a bit anxious.

toodle pip you say...

JackNoneReacher Wed 10-Jul-13 22:01:33

I presume gamerchick means D major? or I have totes missed the point

LaQueen Wed 10-Jul-13 22:02:16

I'm with gamer ...are we meant to care what other people think? In which case I don't think I got the memo...

Naoko Wed 10-Jul-13 22:09:23

<twitch>

So annoying. 'Chrimbo' is just as bad. Should be a law against it.

and yes, I am unreasonable but it just makes my teeth itch

YANBU....it's awful, almost as bad as people who call their kids their Ikkles.....that makes me angry

MmeLindor Germany Wed 10-Jul-13 22:15:16

oooh, this thread might have been a mistake. Ikkles [shudder]

Oh ikkles or "lil man" and chrimbo is asking for a slap grin

greenhill Wed 10-Jul-13 22:19:50

Nope, kiddies is much worse

Ezza1 Wed 10-Jul-13 22:20:36

"Funbuster" grin What a great word!

FibRolls Wed 10-Jul-13 22:20:44

Holibobs! Argh! I have someone on my FB who uses this and it's a very annoying word.
I just tut and roll my eyes though. If it annoys you so much there's always the option of the hide button! smile

Skintorama Wed 10-Jul-13 22:24:05

Aw you ratbag. I love holibobs.

I can't bear luffly or ickle though.

We wear cardingans in this house due to a DD mispronounce that stuck.

WillowKnicks Wed 10-Jul-13 22:24:08

Never heard of holibobs but I likeebobs very much & am very grateful you have brought this 'word' to my attention just before I go on my very own holibobs...the fun I will now have on the dreaded FB grin

Chrimbo is bad enough
Crimble hmm

But what really brings Mr Knife out of the Sharps Drawer is XMAS

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrggghhhhhh.

Feel better now smile

superstarheartbreaker Wed 10-Jul-13 22:29:27

Oh I like it! Only just heard of it. I can imagine it would grate after a while though.

LaQueen Wed 10-Jul-13 22:29:43

Ikkles...? That's just evil.

Though, have to admit our collective term for the DDs is 'The Flumpies' I have no idea why...

Skintorama Wed 10-Jul-13 22:31:46

I like the flumpies. Ours are the Chums, and the littlest Chum. And Daisy The Cat, always said as a full moniker.

We are Those People.

<dies a bit of shame>

SconeRhymesWithGone Wed 10-Jul-13 22:32:39

Is it singular or plural? I need to know in case the question is asked in Pedants' Corner.

Hullygully Wed 10-Jul-13 22:34:12

I love hollibobs

MooncupGoddess Wed 10-Jul-13 22:36:46

Were your hollibobs totes amazeballs, OP?

<runs>

LaQueen Wed 10-Jul-13 22:36:52

Don't you fret skin ...our DDs are rarely, if ever addressed by their actual names. When they are, they know they're in trouble.

They happily answer to Tootle, Twinkle, Snufkin, Bumble, Binkle...the list goes on, and on...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now