To wonder why cashiers in this country don't know how to hand back notes and coins back?

(79 Posts)
Primafacie Wed 10-Jul-13 21:15:28

First you hand the coins, THEN the notes. This way I can cup the coins in my hand before taking the notes in a pincer grip, and put everything neatly back in my purse in one swift motion - coins in zipped compartment, notes in open part.

Instead, they place a note in your hand, then pile coins on top. My fingers are trapped under the note. The coins immediately start to slide, so I need fingers from my other hand to grab them, which means I must put my purse down. It's just not efficient! It makes the whole operation longer and involves more coin manipulation, which is yucky.

Why can't we all adopt the way they do it everywhere else in the world? (Disclaimer: I haven't strictly speaking been everywhere in the world, but I've been places, and no one else seems to do it like us).

Am I the only person who gets mildly annoyed by this?

Flobbadobs Fri 12-Jul-13 09:54:25

Jubelteen apologies, I wasn't having a pop at you personally, more (in a very garbled way!) the attitude that some customers seem to have towards shop staff. I've seen people treating them like they are a lower form of life sometimes.

It was always coins then notes, wait for them to put them away and then hand over receipt.

And yes to the money from underwear and out of mouth. urgh.

What was worse was parents letting their little darlings have the toy before paying and handing over the product that usually had a well chewed and slobbered on price ticket.

ChunkyPickle Fri 12-Jul-13 10:10:57

YABU - notes, then coins - slide the coins off the note into the coin bit of purse, then slide the note in.

Depending on when I get the receipt, it might be slid in with the note, or bundled on top of the coins (or if really late, screwed up in pocket)

I don't like getting the coins first, because then I have to either slide them blind into the purse (because the note is hiding them) or try to hold them while I put the note in (invariably fumbling).

Of course I have to endure it the other way around if someone is old fashioned and actually counts the change back into my hand - but that almost never happens these days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now