To wonder why cashiers in this country don't know how to hand back notes and coins back?

(79 Posts)
Primafacie Wed 10-Jul-13 21:15:28

First you hand the coins, THEN the notes. This way I can cup the coins in my hand before taking the notes in a pincer grip, and put everything neatly back in my purse in one swift motion - coins in zipped compartment, notes in open part.

Instead, they place a note in your hand, then pile coins on top. My fingers are trapped under the note. The coins immediately start to slide, so I need fingers from my other hand to grab them, which means I must put my purse down. It's just not efficient! It makes the whole operation longer and involves more coin manipulation, which is yucky.

Why can't we all adopt the way they do it everywhere else in the world? (Disclaimer: I haven't strictly speaking been everywhere in the world, but I've been places, and no one else seems to do it like us).

Am I the only person who gets mildly annoyed by this?

usualsuspect Thu 11-Jul-13 15:05:43

I give coins first and then note, the note is the last thing I take out of the till.

usualsuspect Thu 11-Jul-13 15:08:55

I don't care how I get change though,it's not difficult to put it in my purse either way.

CrisisCritical Thu 11-Jul-13 15:11:44

Love this thread. It should definitely be coins and then notes. What pisses me off is when cashiers give you notes then a coin pile then sigh and tut when I take about 5 minutes to sort out my purses. If they gave them back to me more conveniently (i.e. coins, then notes) I wouldn't need to fiddle in my purse for ages angry.

usualsuspect Thu 11-Jul-13 15:14:11

Purse fiddlers drive me mad at the till.

Notes here,coins there,receipts somewhere else.

Just put it in your purse and step away from the counter.

Jubelteen Thu 11-Jul-13 15:19:15

I really hate it when I say I've got the odd change e.g. if my bill is £17.63, and I want to give £20.63, but while I'm putting the coins on the counter the assistant scoops them up and I can't see what I've put down. That probably makes me sound about 90, but I like to get rid of loose change from my purse. Also really annoying when the assistant is then unable to calculate that I need £3.00 change.

usualsuspect Thu 11-Jul-13 15:28:17

It's soooo annoying when customers put the money on the counter.

It's also annoying when they say would you like the odd 24p or whatever after you have alresdy counted out the the change.

Or they give you a Tenner and 50p for something that coats £3.15 Just give me the tenner.

YABU. I prefer coins on top of noters, I open my coin pouch while they get the change, slide the coins in then fold any notes / receipts and put them away. Notes on top of coins tends to make me drop coins everywhere while I try and get rid of the paper.

Also, as someone else says, you can immediately see whether they have given you the right change.

When I worked in a shop in the early 80s and the tills didn't tell you how much change to give we were always told to count it back up again, eg 27,28,30,40,50,£1. Very rare to encounter that nowadays. Does mean you have to do it the wrong way round with notes on top though.

Flobbadobs Thu 11-Jul-13 15:56:43

Dear God only on MN could people trying to do their job quickly and properly get called for the way they hand something over...
The general public can be real arseholes at times, this is why I will never work behind a till, a bar or a GP's reception desk by choice ever again. (Have done all 3 in my time, was pretty damn good at all 3, grew to hate a large proportion of the human race while doing so...)

YABU, sorry, it's just so petty.

Jubelteen Thu 11-Jul-13 16:01:02

usualsuspect I always offer the odd change before the change has been counted, at the time I'm handing over the money. Unless the assistant is a mind reader they couldn't have already counted out the change as they don't know what I've tendered.
Sorry that you find customers annoying, it's the sort of crappy attitude that pervades today I'm afraid.

usualsuspect Thu 11-Jul-13 16:02:15

It is petty, doesn't matter what shop assistants do ,some moaning minnie on MN will moan about it.

Not only moan about it but admit to making a shop assistants job more difficult because the way they hand over change is not to their exact requirements.

You have to be pretty stupid if you can't manage to put money away in your purse without a bloody fuss.

gallifrey Thu 11-Jul-13 16:03:46

I do I do! when I worked at Asda on a checkout I always handed people their change like that grin

usualsuspect Thu 11-Jul-13 16:05:05

Thing is, the customers don't know about my crappy attitude , I'm always polite on the outside.

My thoughts on them are another matter

Flobbadobs Thu 11-Jul-13 16:07:54

It's been 20 years since I worked behind a till but I still notice a massive superior attitude towards usually fairly low paid shop assistants from alot of customers? That is also an attitude that pervades...

Flobbadobs Thu 11-Jul-13 16:08:27

Well that post made sense.. confused

Jubelteen Thu 11-Jul-13 16:22:52

Flobadobs If I sounded as though I look down my nose at shop assistants, I don't. Worked in retail for years when younger. I try to be cheery and chatty, hand over odd change if I have it, sometimes change can be handy if the till is getting low. Now I know that I'm just an annoyance, and the assistant is probably thinking "what a twat" whilst smiling at me. I never felt like that.

usualsuspect Thu 11-Jul-13 16:27:29

I don't know anyone who works in retail who doesn't get annoyed by certain things that customers do.

You must be a saint.

Jubelteen Thu 11-Jul-13 16:37:28

Usual no not a saint, just thought well I'm here from 9-6 and when things were quiet the day dragged. Chatting with colleagues was not allowed, a manager walked around making sure it didn't happen, and people were sacked for it. Having a chat with customers passed time, as did trying to please an awkward customer.

LillyofWinchester Thu 11-Jul-13 16:38:58

Yanbu. It make me feel really clumsy and uncoordinated. I might adopt the dweebie approach above.

usualsuspect Thu 11-Jul-13 16:40:04

I chat plenty with my customers, but I still find some of them annoying.

I'm only human after all.I'm not a robot with no feelings or thoughts.

KansasCityOctopus Thu 11-Jul-13 16:46:50

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

TheCatIsUpTheDuff Thu 11-Jul-13 16:51:40

When I worked in a Spar shop as a student, the policy was to put the receipt in the customer's hand, followed by the change. I can't remember the correct order for change; it was the receipts that people grumbled about, but no matter how many times we told the manager that people did grumble, he told us we had to do it that way to try and make sure they took the receipt. I try to bear in mind, although it's not always easy, that when someone does something annoying in the course of their job, they've probably been told to.

Quangle Thu 11-Jul-13 17:08:31

oh finally, I have found my people grin

The cashiers who force you into holding a coin parcel are the devil. But I thought I was the only one who thought this. And obviously I have never let anyone know I think this, until now on this very thread. Very happy to have come home.

Khaleasy Thu 11-Jul-13 17:11:28

I can't stand it when cashiers give coins then notes - there's no grip on the notes and it flaps away. Note first, then coins - tip coins into purse and then you can grip the note.

Jubelteen Thu 11-Jul-13 17:54:16

KansasCity feeling sick at grotty money handing over practices, would certainly be annoyed at that.

Alisvolatpropiis Thu 11-Jul-13 21:06:29

I only used to hand back money in the way you describe if the customer annoyed me. It's the minor victories when you're working a thankless job for 9 hours a day.

Customers who coughed into their hands then handed me their money/held their money so long the coins go warm and sweaty used to make me feel ill.

Customers who were too high above me to touch my hand and instead put their money on the counter got any change back in the exact same way. Fuckers.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now