To wonder why cashiers in this country don't know how to hand back notes and coins back?

(79 Posts)
Primafacie Wed 10-Jul-13 21:15:28

First you hand the coins, THEN the notes. This way I can cup the coins in my hand before taking the notes in a pincer grip, and put everything neatly back in my purse in one swift motion - coins in zipped compartment, notes in open part.

Instead, they place a note in your hand, then pile coins on top. My fingers are trapped under the note. The coins immediately start to slide, so I need fingers from my other hand to grab them, which means I must put my purse down. It's just not efficient! It makes the whole operation longer and involves more coin manipulation, which is yucky.

Why can't we all adopt the way they do it everywhere else in the world? (Disclaimer: I haven't strictly speaking been everywhere in the world, but I've been places, and no one else seems to do it like us).

Am I the only person who gets mildly annoyed by this?

Primafacie Wed 10-Jul-13 21:16:46

Oops, title failure! I take one back back smile

Naoko Wed 10-Jul-13 21:18:34

You aren't, but I'm prepared to be told it's me that's being foreign and refusing to adapt unreasonable grin Drives me batty too. Especially when you get a stack including the receipt as well. Nowhere in my home country hands you change like this and I don't understand why you would, you end up fumbling at the till and dropping stuff, and it takes forever because you are holding people up and they are glaring at you which makes you more stressed and thus more likely to drop something.

Myliferocks Wed 10-Jul-13 21:18:46

I prefer note first then coins on top. I find I can tip the coins into my purse while they weigh the notes down. I can still put my change away one handed.

For your information, I ALWAYS hand the coins over first, followed by the note on top! grin
I am shock at hopw many customers think it is acceptable to hold the notes/ cards in their MOUTH before handing them to me, or even worse, holding money in their hand, SNEEZING over it and then handing it over! [ewwww!!]

YANBU!! I think this EVERY SINGLE TIME!

cardibach Wed 10-Jul-13 21:21:51

YANBU. Notes on top of coins are an abomination!
<overreacts>

Hobbknobb Wed 10-Jul-13 21:22:10

Argh this drives me crazy! I used to workin retail and we were trained to hand coins over first.

marriedinwhiteagain Wed 10-Jul-13 21:22:59

Agrees with OP - in the 70s I worked in a restaurant, in a supermarkwt and in M&S and that's how we were taught to do it. Buit we were also taught how to smile, say please and thank you and how to properly fold a large garment. Xx

AnaisB Wed 10-Jul-13 21:23:24

i thought i was the only one who struggled with this.

yanbu

MissMarplesBloomers Wed 10-Jul-13 21:25:09

I always count the coins back then the notes as a double check I've got it right if I'm ever in a retail situation (charity do's etc)

OddBoots Wed 10-Jul-13 21:25:31

Oh I much prefer the coins on top, it's easier to scan it quickly with my eyes to check the change is correct and it's simple to pour the coins off into my purse.

GoldenGytha Wed 10-Jul-13 21:25:39

I prefer to get my change notes first, then the coins.

I can put the coins into their compartment of my purse, then slide the note in. I always just use the one hand.

I hate getting the coins first, always seems more awkward that way.

Catmint Wed 10-Jul-13 21:27:56

Yanbu, it is so awkward to get the note first!

Primafacie Wed 10-Jul-13 21:29:33

<Hands flowers all around>

<looks up admiringly to mylife>

Thank you, I am so glad it's not just me.

whois Wed 10-Jul-13 21:30:36

Agreed with OP!

looselegs Wed 10-Jul-13 21:33:33

And why don't cashiers count the change into your hand any more? When worked behind a counter,I was taught to count the change into the customers hand-coins first,then notes-so that an mistakes could be picked up on straight away.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 10-Jul-13 21:39:54

YANBU! I HATE this! I am particularly Meldrew about a lot of minor things though. I always dump the lot on their counter when they do that to me, and make a big song and dance about putting it all away. smile It cheers me up.

Turniptwirl Wed 10-Jul-13 21:40:06

I don't mind about the coins and notes but don't put the recipt in amongst them or underneath them so I either have to stand there and gaff or shove the recipt in my purse

starfishmummy Wed 10-Jul-13 21:40:18

Exactly looselegs.
I also had to add up the total spend in my head before ringing it into the manual till as well.

josiejay Wed 10-Jul-13 21:41:43

I used to train supermarket cashiers and always showed them how to hand change over in the correct way. But it wasn't part of the official training programme, just me waging a one-woman war against annoying change handover methods! Clearly it's a war I didn't win.

pooka Wed 10-Jul-13 21:43:20

I am another who prefers notes first and coins on top. Much less clumsy. Hold purse with left hand, tip coins into coin part and slide notes in to neighbouring compartment in one seamless movement. Walk away from the tip and zip up the coin section as you go.

If i get coins first, then i find it hard to grasp them while coordinating the insertion of notes in purse.

StuntGirl Wed 10-Jul-13 21:48:09

"And why don't cashiers count the change into your hand any more? When worked behind a counter,I was taught to count the change into the customers hand-coins first,then notes-so that an mistakes could be picked up on straight away."

God almighty, I'd be there all day if I did that.

This is one of those situations cashiers can never win. For every one of you lot who hates it X way, there are an equal number of people who hate it being done Y way.

Weasleyismyking Wed 10-Jul-13 21:51:42

YANBU

but it made me the sad the day I got wound up about this and reminded myself of my parents. I realised I was old! sad

josiejay the war's not over yet! [grrrr emoticon]

chickensaladagain Wed 10-Jul-13 21:55:32

If I venture onto the tills at work, I ask them if they would like the receipt in their bag if they are taking a carrier bag

If not, I do coins into hand then notes and receipt on top

Please tell me I haven't been getting it wrong for the last 20 years!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now