DS is moaning about his duvet set AIBU

(100 Posts)
wakeupandsmellthecoffee Wed 10-Jul-13 21:11:05

He says that a 14yr old having a McLaren Lewis Hamilton duvet set is vanquish and can he have another one please.
I SAY a grown man would want this set so he is being unreasonable.I then said I would ask mumsnet.AIBU.

pooka Wed 10-Jul-13 21:47:33

YABU. After age of 12 ish, I think character/merchandise duvets are a bit babyish. Until he's at university and it becomes retro/ironic.

quoteunquote Wed 10-Jul-13 21:51:14

kingsize duvet and cover next birthday.

ThisWayForCrazy Wed 10-Jul-13 21:52:32

Buy him an adult duvet cover! Poor kid

MerryMarigold Wed 10-Jul-13 21:56:24

So grining at 'vanquish'. Though I would think that would describe something positive. "It's bare vanquish, that new duvet from Asda Mum".

Pixel Wed 10-Jul-13 22:29:19

I've bought dd some really pretty grown up duvet sets but the other day I found she'd dug out her 101 dalmatians one. She's 17. Her choice though, unlike poor old ds. I walked into his bedroom a few weeks ago and it suddenly hit me that he still had Thomas the Tank curtains at the age of 13 blush. Needless to say they have now been replaced!
(psst, anyone want to buy some Thomas curtains, good condition? grin)

wakeupandsmellthecoffee Thu 11-Jul-13 07:21:41

He tells me its 2008when I bought it for him .So now in Im on the hunt for NON VANQUISH MAN BEDDING.lol

heronsfly Thu 11-Jul-13 07:25:08

My dd2 17 picked up a Peppa Pig duvet cover at a boot fair, she loves it, teenagers are very strange grin

Bicnod Thu 11-Jul-13 07:29:55

grin at non vanquish man bedding.

This thread has made me chuckle.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Thu 11-Jul-13 07:37:47

MN slang is great! I'm so using Vanquish. We should invent our own hard to understand slang.

Hissy Thu 11-Jul-13 07:37:48

Dear god, no grown man I would want to know would have Lewis Hamilton bedding! Or footy teams etc.

Glad you're going for non_vanquish man-bedding.
!

smile

shewhowines Thu 11-Jul-13 07:38:06

Let him choose it. You won't know what is vanquish or not, in his eyes.

shewhowines Thu 11-Jul-13 07:40:59

Sorry if a new boyfriend had taken me back to his pad for sex, then that a duvet like that would have made me run for the hills. A real man wouldn't do character/themed duvets.

Innacorner Thu 11-Jul-13 07:54:27

My teens still - occasionally - have an Animal Hospital duvet on their beds. It's very cute and was first child's first quilt cover when he went into a big boys bed.
Although since the Rolf revelations I'm not so keen on it.

MiaowTheCat Thu 11-Jul-13 08:54:41

My husband was trying to persuade me that we needed to use his beloved Ferrari flag (I fucking hate the Ferrari F1 team) as a bed throw a while back. I vetoed that one firmly on the grounds that a) I hate Ferrari (I'm a Maclaren fan) and b) he needed to grow the fuck up a bit or did he want the bloody Power Rangers as a duvet cover to go with it?

curlew Thu 11-Jul-13 08:57:20

Do people really have their own designated duvet sets?

Every day's a school day!

MorrisZapp Thu 11-Jul-13 08:58:19

My first shag occurred under a cowboy duvet, the type now ripped off by Cath Kidston.

Actually when I met my first boyfriend, he had racing cars on his pants.

This is probably of no comfort smile

Theas18 Thu 11-Jul-13 09:01:38

we still have some Harry potter and care bears . the kids don't worry, buy then again ds likes the faintly spotty one that was dh for when he went to uni 30 yrs ago. they like the old soft bedding best. the newer ones are bobbly!

CalamityJones Thu 11-Jul-13 09:01:40

Cowboy duvet and cars on his pants? Erm.. how old was he exactly, MorrisZapp?

purrpurr Thu 11-Jul-13 09:03:40

Vanquish as new slang for bad stuff FTW.

Wait, bad still means bad, right? :S

Tiredemma Thu 11-Jul-13 09:08:03

My BF had a duvet set that was not only 'vanquish' but also hideous and 70's.

A giant horses head picture emblazoned across the entire duvet (poking out of a stable door). with an apple in its mouth.

She had it until she was 16 and got her own part time job. First thing she purchased with her wages was a modern bed set from Next.

The original one was hideous.

VixZenFenchell Thu 11-Jul-13 09:10:30

curlew - yes. DS1 - lego Star Wars. DS2 - angry birds space. Me/DH - plain chocolate satin/cotton. Guest room - patterned / patchwork. Chaos if laundry situation leads to someone getting the Wrong Sheets!

I'd love Lewis Hamilton on my bed.

grin

crazyhamsterdisguisedasahippo Thu 11-Jul-13 09:26:40

SP I bet you would grin

Thisvehicleisreversing Thu 11-Jul-13 09:36:46

Our spare duvet (for when someone gets chucked out onto the sofa) has a tellytubby duvet cover on it grin

It's about a million years old.

CorrieDale Thu 11-Jul-13 09:36:52

Feeling less bad about 8yo ds's Thomas the tank engine curtains now. really must sort that out this summer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now