To take 2 week old DD to a normal cinema screening?

(42 Posts)
curiousgeorgie Wed 10-Jul-13 19:36:37

I want to take DD1 (2.9 years) to monsters inc this weekend.. She's been to the cinema a couple of times, loves monsters inc and will be fine. She asks me whenever the trailer comes on if we can go..

I had DD2 2 weeks ago, she's mostly good except when she wants her bottle she screams until its in her mouth and then has quite a loud snuffle around and conks out again afterwards.

I have no babysitter for her...

Can I take her with DD1 and I to a normal cinema screening? I specially want to make DD1 happy as life has turned upside down with a new baby taking up all my time...

WIBU to do this?

Ah. Then yes, I would consider it. Babies that tiny wouldn't be a problem.

MayTheOddsBeEverInYourFavour Thu 11-Jul-13 11:47:40

Personally I wouldn't, but I think as long as you are prepared to leave straight away if she starts making a noise then it's fine

" 'I wouldn't because she might well pick up a bug',

Then you don't leave the house at all, and you don't have visitors, or let the 2 year old go anywhere because otherwise she might pick up a bug.

You can't avoid all bugs!"

Not what I'm saying.... I'm saying I wouldn't take a 2 week old to the cinema. I quite happily took dd out and about, and had visitors, but sitting in a confined space for a very long time with a lot of people is rather more exposure than average. Just me perhaps. We all know that exposure to bugs is good for babies immune systems but at 2 weeks old picking up something nasty can be serious.

Not sure why I got leaped on for saying what I did confused. It's hardly controversial.

ProudAS Thu 11-Jul-13 06:48:27

Could you go with a friend so dd1 doesnt have to be disturbed if baby needs taking out.

Shrugged Wed 10-Jul-13 23:13:03

My only question would be how your older child might react to an enforced exit! Chances are the little one would be fine. Though I would recommend ear protection. My entire NCT group used to take our newborns to morning showings at Wood Green cinema. I had ear defenders for my baby and he slept or fed through.

minibmw2010 Wed 10-Jul-13 22:44:39

Earplugs for baby, off you go smile

i think it's too loud.

megsmouse Wed 10-Jul-13 22:39:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

curiousgeorgie Wed 10-Jul-13 22:33:37

I had a c section wink

Does your bum not hurt? Mine did for more than two weeks.

I would be more worried about that than about the baby.

Xmasbaby11 Wed 10-Jul-13 20:32:47

I took DD to baby cinema every week from about 3 weeks. It was fine. Mostly the babies were all happy and slept. I'm not sure if they lowered the volume.

I think it depends how DD1 can handle it if you have to pop out - it is quite likely in a long showing.

HenriettaPye Wed 10-Jul-13 20:15:25

I done this when DD was about 5 weeks, and DS was 2.5 years!

DD was as good as gold- I had the bottle ready to go incase she needed a feed but she slept snugly on my knee the whole time.

However now she is 11 months it's a different story! I took her with DS to see despicable me and had to leave with her after 10 mins! shock

Sirzy Wed 10-Jul-13 20:12:51

I wouldn't because she might well pick up a bug,

Then you don't leave the house at all, and you don't have visitors, or let the 2 year old go anywhere because otherwise she might pick up a bug.

You can't avoid all bugs!

Sirzy Wed 10-Jul-13 20:11:31

My only concern would be that if you have to do a nappy change or something it may upset your older daughter - do you have a friend with similar age child that could come with you? at least then you wouldn't need to disturb her.

I took DS to see Dispicable Me 2 the day it came out at a 1pm showing. Because most children will have been at school/nursery it was suprisingly quiet with only about 20 people in and all with young children.

HooverFairy Wed 10-Jul-13 20:07:53

YANBU, I think it's a good idea as long as your 2yo understands if you need to leave early. If she's fine then go and have a lovely time smile.

MortifiedAdams Wed 10-Jul-13 20:07:16

worstershire are you posting on the wrong thread?

I wouldn't because she might well pick up a bug, and a caring for a toddler plus a sick baby would just about kill me!

Weegiemum Wed 10-Jul-13 20:03:01

I'd worry about the noise tbh. Young babies have very sensitive hearing.

Twinkletoes77 Wed 10-Jul-13 20:02:57

I went to The Great Gatsby with DD when she was about a week and a half. Cinema half empty and anyway she slept through first half in sling and I fed her in second half. If you look at the Vue website it specifically says babies in arms are allowed. I'd go if I were you.

badfaketan Wed 10-Jul-13 20:01:09

The baby isn't a problem,I've been taking my 16 week old every week since 6weeks,sits feeds & sleeps,never makes a sound.
Only problem would be needing to nappy change in the middle &taking everyone out.
My worries would be about the older one being able to sit still through a whole film.At that age,mine wouldn't .

kelda Wed 10-Jul-13 19:59:41

'I would find it easier taking a newborn than a 2yo'

But the OP is planning on taking a newborn AND a 2yo!

ParadiseChick Wed 10-Jul-13 19:58:43

Would she understand having to leave for a while if you spoke to her before hand?

curiousgeorgie Wed 10-Jul-13 19:56:57

I can warm the bottle just before I go in and have it ready to go... I suppose the only thing I didn't think about that's been raised is if I have to leave, DD1 will probably get upset. She's been really good in the cinema the couple of times we've been. I just sit her with a packet of cheddars and her drink and aside from occasionally pointing things on the screen out to me (excitedly!) she was great. But during Madagascar 3 I had to go to the toilet and she really didn't want to go...

Tricky!

sonlypuppyfat Wed 10-Jul-13 19:55:06

Why don't you take them when the films been out for a while and its a bit cheaper. Its rotten when you have saved up to see a film its not cheap then someone spoils it for you.

IneedAsockamnesty Wed 10-Jul-13 19:54:52

I would find it easier taking a newborn than a 2yo

Yanbu

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now