Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to NOT want the cashier in bloody Waitrose to refer to women as 'birds'?

(32 Posts)
Queen0fFeckingEverything Wed 10-Jul-13 18:12:15

Picking up some shopping today, whilst wearing an (admittedly slightly daft but very effective) cowgirl hat, the cashier said to me "Nice hat" to which I replied "Thanks" and carried on packing my shopping.

Then he said "Nice hair too, mind you must get boiling in this weather". I went mmmmmmhhmmmm carried on packing my shopping in the normal manner of a harassed mother of a toddler at 3.10pm.

And THEN he said "I've only ever been with one bird with dreadlocks you know", like I fucking care or something, and WINKED at me [ugh] angry

WorraLiberty Wed 10-Jul-13 18:14:39

What in particular don't you like about 'bird'?

I don't like it either but it is a regional thing.

I live bordering East London and 'bird' is quite a common expression

Just as 'hen' is quite a common expression Oop North

ClaraOswald Wed 10-Jul-13 18:16:42

Ok, the wink takes it into ohmyfuckingGodfuckoffyouweirdo territory.

Seriously inappropriate in that setting to be discussing women he has had sex with. With a customer.

ANormalOne Wed 10-Jul-13 18:17:55

I'd be more annoyed at him discussing his sex life with you and the wink, than the use of 'bird'.

ANormalOne Wed 10-Jul-13 18:19:12

Oh, but I dislike men who call their girlfriends their 'bird' it's common around where I live and it gets right on my tits.

lottiegarbanzo Wed 10-Jul-13 18:22:27

Um, I'd be far more unhappy that he was talking about you in the context of his sex life. Did he think he was propositioning you? I'd be making a complaint about that actually.

I dont get the problem with using the term 'bird' I use it.

The wink was weird though

Justfornowitwilldo Wed 10-Jul-13 18:25:30

Creepy weird man.

Justfornowitwilldo Wed 10-Jul-13 18:26:15

I'd want to dettol my shopping. I'd worry where his hands had been ...

<shudder>

ANormalOne Wed 10-Jul-13 18:27:19

I'll clarify that I don't like it because I don't like the way people pronounce it, imagine someone screeching, 'me bird' in a really Scouse accent. I'm a Scouser myself but it's like nails down a chalkboard.

Queen0fFeckingEverything Wed 10-Jul-13 18:45:22

Oh god I HATE being referred to as a bird angry It's not nice! It's disrespectful and tacky.

I have no idea if he was propositioning me. Hope not.

Whole thing was just a bit icky.

BMW6 Wed 10-Jul-13 18:57:04

Was it Gene Hunt working undercover?

Jeez, I thought that died with the dinosaurs!!

x2boys Wed 10-Jul-13 19:05:27

lived near Manchester my whole life therefore oop north never heard any one referred
to as hen?

He sounds like a right arse, that would piss me off too.

Give him the death stare next time or just avoid him.

What a plank!

TabithaStephens Wed 10-Jul-13 19:12:06

He was probably just trying to be friendly.

Laquitar Wed 10-Jul-13 19:14:49

This word is on my top hate list. I really really can't stand it.
YANBU OP.

Wibblypiglikesbananas Wed 10-Jul-13 19:15:24

My old English teacher used to say that women are only called birds because of the worms they pick up... I've always quite liked that as a comeback.

usualsuspect Wed 10-Jul-13 19:18:12

Doesn't bother me.

Queen0fFeckingEverything Wed 10-Jul-13 19:32:12

Yes its so easy to confuse 'trying to be friendly' with 'sounding like a sexist sleaze'....

LadyBeagleEyes Wed 10-Jul-13 19:37:55

Hen is more Scottish than Northern I think.
Regional words don't bother me at all, I'd also be more bothered that he told you he'd only had one woman with dreadlocks, along with his sleazy wink.

Mrsrobertduvall Wed 10-Jul-13 19:40:22

I would report him.
We don't expect that in Waitrose.

burberryqueen Wed 10-Jul-13 19:41:02

sleazy old sleazepot.......
not too bothered about 'bird' in general tho'

pigletmania Wed 10-Jul-13 19:41:13

That behaviour was more Asda than waitrose, what will the older pearl clutches say?

Feminine Wed 10-Jul-13 19:42:26

I think by the time I'd dropped my green coin in to my chosen slot, I would have forgotten all about it!

MrsPresley Wed 10-Jul-13 19:43:19

You should have told him that women are called birds because of all the worms they pick up grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now