To send a rather stern email to Costco about

(25 Posts)

The fact that their crumpets are the most awful thing I have ever eaten?? And now i'm lumbered with 3 bloody packs of the things!! Argh. Who would have thought the innocent crumpet could taste so bad. Totally tasteless and do not toast well! This is my first costco fail.

PestoSwimissimos Wed 10-Jul-13 15:34:04

Take 'em back & get a refund.

You can't take food back just because you don't like the taste !
Perhaps if it was mouldy maybe.

PestoSwimissimos Wed 10-Jul-13 15:41:15

I think you can with Costco.

Chopstheduck Wed 10-Jul-13 15:42:03

you can take them back with costco.

I like them though! Don't think there is actually anything wrong with them.

Chopstheduck Wed 10-Jul-13 15:42:33

They need a fair while in the toaster. Don't the kids like them either? I usually buy them for after school snacks.

LemonBreeland Wed 10-Jul-13 15:44:08

I have never bought crumpets from Costco. I feel the need to try them now.

Don't have kids to palm them off on to! Maybe a good slathering of strawberry jam is needed.

Technotropic Wed 10-Jul-13 16:02:40

YABU. It's illegal to say a bad thing about Costco. Didn't you know?

Anyway you can't write a stern email just because you don't like the taste of something shirley?

I would have thought it better to ring them and explain nicely. Knowing Costco they will ask you to return them for a full refund. They are usually beyond reasonable with most things IMHO so is worth a try before getting angry with them.

I think it was the initial shock of 'ugh these taste awful, shame on you costco, you've never failed me before!'.

So what should I be buying from Costco that the bees knees? I hear their carrot cake is rather good, and is so big it can also feed the 5000.

what does it cost to be a member? i want to bulk buy bad crumpets.

Cakes are great - means I never have chocolate fudge cake in eg pubs because I know they can cut twenty slices from a £7 cake and charge £4 a time hmm

A friend reckons she saves her membership each year simply on the children's party food (eg sandwich platters) let alone bulk buying toilet paper, laundry detergent, etc. If you have a big freezer their whole fish and large meat packs are great value too.

I think it's about £30 for membership. We tend to bulk buy toliet paper, washing detergent, cat food and fizzy pop.

LegoAcupuncture Wed 10-Jul-13 16:26:23

Their new jam tarts are delicious! They are like cherry bake wells, but with jam and no icky icing. I am going on Saturday to stock up on them the neccessities.

They do huge packs on naice ham for £4.99 and even bigger packs of sliced jarlsburg for £3.49. 2 x2l local milk is £1.89. 18 free range eggs iro £3.39.

The meat packs are good as well.

Oblomov Wed 10-Jul-13 16:27:32

Of couirse you can take things back to Costco.
Thats' the whole POINT of Costco.
Point is, it rarely happens.
I agree, I think it's probably just the shock of having something bad for the first time.
Hapened to me. And i was just so shocked that anything could be bad.
Take it back. Bet they won't even ask.

Technotropic Wed 10-Jul-13 16:29:15

RightsaidFreud

I'm not suggesting anything LOL. Not after this thread as I'll be too scared of reading "AIBU to sue Techno for recommending disgusting XYZ" wink

I've bought their large birthday sponge (the one you can customise) and it was very nice. In fact most of their cakes are decent although the only problem I have is the American portion sizing. I couldn't eat a whole muffin. Lemon drizzle is particularly nice.

We buy all sorts from there though and mostly meat/fish as it's great value/quality.

Incidentally we've just bought Kirkland loo roll and it is better than the branded stuff we bought on offer.

melika Wed 10-Jul-13 16:29:29

Costco are fantastic at taking things back, tell them, they will understand. I have never seen crumpets though.

SisterMatic Wed 10-Jul-13 16:31:46

Have you tried the caramel chocolate brownie??

<faints>

MrsShortfuse Wed 10-Jul-13 16:31:46

Costco is fab, and there are some great bargains, BUT it isn't necessarily cheaper if you're used to Asda, Lidl and Aldi. e.g. the cheapest butter is £2.36 for 500g, whereas you can get butter in Asda £1 for 250g.

The fresh meat and fish is fantastic, and mainly British, and soft drinks are very good value. Pizzas also great.

Costco bagels, they are soooo good. And their carrot cake. And their cheesecake. And their pastries.

I luffs Costco I do

McNewPants2013 Wed 10-Jul-13 17:40:24

Danish pastrys are the best I have ever tasted.

DumSpiroSpero Wed 10-Jul-13 17:48:52

I take it you haven't tried Morrison's scones then?

Really grim.

Costco carrot cake is amazing, and their scotch pancakes are also lovely.

Weirdly, Morrison's value scones are nicer than their standard ones. They don't clag.

I mean, they aren't as good as homemade obviously but they are nice.

oh god I am dreaming about a Costco lasagne now ... my mouth is literally watering as I'm typing this

thats my afternoon sorted tomorrow then

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now