Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

to wonder how many mums take "something" ; to help them through the day?

(172 Posts)
snuffleton Wed 10-Jul-13 14:41:43

By "something" I mean either legal or illegal drugs, herbal supplements, alcohol, basically anything that makes life easier and more bareable.

I ask because a in the last few weeks I have had two seperate friends admit that they take things to help them "survive" as one elloquently put it. One is taking something called Kratom and another said she is taking a herbal supplement called Rhodiolea or something like that. It made me curious as to whether this is common/normal?

Sparklysilversequins Wed 10-Jul-13 14:54:56

I was offered a beer or wine on arrival at a play date once at...............10.30 am! On a week day. I declined, the play date was for two hours and the Mum had 5 bottles of Peroni in that time.

QueenMaeve Wed 10-Jul-13 14:55:15

Tea usually does the job

sensesworkingovertime Wed 10-Jul-13 14:55:41

another tea and chocolate here, on your average day (i.e a stressful one!)

I get headaches and migraines a lot so I do take painkillers. This may be related to family life grin although not specifically.

I drink coffee, have the occasional wine, and I do eat chocolate.

Other than that, I don't and wouldn't take anything else.

Although....having said that, I had a simply MASSIVE craving for a cigarette this morning. I haven't smoked for about 8 years so it was a bit of a shock! I didn't crack though nice to know I have willpower against some things!

TheThinksYouCanThink Wed 10-Jul-13 14:57:02

Gaviscon gets me through the day at the minute - in my defence I am 33 weeks pregnant and not really sure that it helps!

mignonette Wed 10-Jul-13 14:57:10

Ice cream is my rock and my succour- I have more Dopamine stimulation going on than Tara Palmer Tomkinson in her hey days wink

ImNotBloody14 Wed 10-Jul-13 14:58:17

I drink tea and eat to many crisps.

the best thing to get me through the day is a shower first thing and getting out of the house (depression)

I sometimes reaaaally need a smoke but I haven't in years. cant promise never to again.

ZenGardener Wed 10-Jul-13 14:58:24

I found out someone I knew was taking Ritalin. Apparently it helps you lose weight and gives you more energy. I might be tempted but it turns out she was buying it illegally online and got into a fair bit of trouble with the police.

SofaKing Wed 10-Jul-13 14:59:26

I smoke cannabis in the evenings sometimes, but would never do it if I was looking after dc.

But there are parents at my local school who start the day with coffee and a joint. No right, imho. The same way it wouldn't be right to start the day with a glass of wine.

You can take whatever you like to get you through the day, but you shouldn't take anything that might cloud your judgement when you have dc to look after, because it is hard enough keeping them away from busy roads as it is!

Eyesunderarock Wed 10-Jul-13 14:59:42

I'm not smug about it, at the moment I can make it through what I need to do without ADs, but I've made some drastic other decisions to enable me to cope.
That's one of the problems when people need help with any sort of mental illness or depression, it is often seen as a weakness by others.
If I develop diabetes through my need for tea and muffins and use insulin, everyone will understand.
If I drop the muffins and use ADs, there may well be people who curl their lip and say 'I've never felt the need for them' ?

ImNotBloody14 Wed 10-Jul-13 15:01:33

I do take paracetemol if I have a headache. I never used to. I would persevere and get grumpy and make the dcs grumpy til I could get to bed but now I just think all that grumpiness can be avoided with a couple of tablets so I just take them when I feel a headache coming on and I get on with the day. nobody gets upset.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 10-Jul-13 15:04:34

OPs first post. Hmm. Interesting given this site is known to be a haunt for journos looking for fodder.

YBR Wed 10-Jul-13 15:04:47

My husband is the SAHD, which is what you mean? He's started drinking "high sugar caffine pop" which is our collective name for cola, Dr Pepper and fizzy energy drinks. That's to keep up with our toddler with minimal help from me (work full-time and pregnant).
For him that's as hard as it gets as he doesn't do coffee, alcohol, smoking, comfort eating ....

RestingUnderTheSun Wed 10-Jul-13 15:05:16

Yes herbal medicine but I wouldn't see it as just 'something to get through the day' but as medicine (just as ADs as someone before mentioned).

I think lots of people 'self medicate' tbh. It can be caffeine, alcohol, drugs (illegal or not, for the intended purposes or not).
I think it's only an issue when it's used as a plaster over the cracks rather than a way to get better iyswim.

MumnGran Wed 10-Jul-13 15:05:56

Never. Ever.
Excluding aspirin, prescription meds (via GP for specific cause eg AD's) or the coffee/chocolate style of "something".
To be honest the concept that someone would self 'medicate' with anything, when their DCs are in their care, appals me.

Caffine here, like a lot of people. I get withdrawal now which is quite sad.

Longdistance Wed 10-Jul-13 15:06:59

As soon as the clock hits 5pm, it's wine o'clock.

Not only does it keep me sane from the dd's, but my dh too.

*caffeine

WilsonFrickett Wed 10-Jul-13 15:07:54

I think there is a massive, massive difference between tramadol prescribed for pain or AD's prescribed for depression, and having a peroni at a 10.30 play date!

In terms of the second case, I don't really know anyone who can't get through the day without a drink or an illegal drug. In terms of the first, I presume a % of my friends are on medication as they are normal people and physical and mental illness is completely normal.

Dahlen Wed 10-Jul-13 15:11:07

I hope the number of people doing this are in a minority, mainly because it's awful to think that there are that many completely knackered or unhappy mothers out there!

I think when DC are very young and poor sleepers, it's easy to get hooked onto something that makes it easier. Once they're past that stage though (other insurmountable difficulties notwithstanding), I'd consider it either a bad habit that needed to be stopped, or a sign that all was far from rosy in someone's life.

starfishmummy Wed 10-Jul-13 15:12:50

Right new I need something to keep me awake. I am so tired!

gazzalw Wed 10-Jul-13 15:13:51

Do you think it's the type of thing that people really admit to very openly?

Not sure I've ever come across anyone admit to taking "mother's little helper" as things such as valium and other prescription medication used to be called....

But there again I'm sure I've had a very sheltered life!

mignonette Wed 10-Jul-13 15:15:05

Well if it might be a Journo then lets all give them some fodder............Who's going to start wink

The topic has been dome to death in the Press anyway. A thread by a Mner is interesting but as a 'news' story.....Yaaaaaaawwwwwnnnnn.....

quoteunquote Wed 10-Jul-13 15:15:43

This week I am consuming and punctuating each task or manoeuvre with lemonade ice lollies,

for some reason there were loads in the freezer, must be on offer somewhere,

and I am addicted, they are lovely.

I handed them out at a meeting yesterday, because it was the only way I could reasonable eat one.

jacks365 Wed 10-Jul-13 15:15:48

I sometimes collapse with a coffee when she goes down for her nap and on a really bad day I resort to a cream cake too but thats my limit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now