Note: Please bear in mind that whilst this topic does canvass opinions, it is not a fight club. You may disagree with other posters but we do ask you please to stick to our Talk Guidelines and to be civil. We don't allow personal attacks or troll-hunting. Do please report any. Thanks, MNHQ.

AIBU to say at this moment i love amazon

(24 Posts)
LadyBryan Wed 10-Jul-13 10:40:38

I'm afraid the ease of using Amazon, together with choice and customer service make them still usable for me.

At the end of the day they didn't act illegally. They made use of the current law.

Technotropic Wed 10-Jul-13 10:36:41

UnexpectedStepmum Wed 10-Jul-13 09:43:35

Really, Techno?? £7bn sales in the UK and no corporation tax is "right?"

£7bn in sales means nothing. You should know that you don't pay tax on sales but on profits.

Sadly it's a headline that is all too often trotted out but misses the point entirely.

ThingummyBob Wed 10-Jul-13 10:03:15

I agree that tax legislation needs to be changed. Until that point its silly to say they should feel morally obliged to pay tax.

Governments have left loopholes like amazon use for years. Previously such loopholes would attract business to the UK and bring with it other advantages. Big companies paid little corporation tax but they would be providing jobs, paying employers NI and all sorts of other trade levies.

These days a company like amazon can trade in the UK with virtually no jobs being created, no localised infra-structure, no employers NI and very little by way of trade levy. They can even perfectly legally avoid import duty a lot of the time.

The way some business operate have changed hugely over recent years and our government has not kept up.

ARealDame Wed 10-Jul-13 10:02:35

I am also a big fan of Amazon in terms of their goods and customer service. It is a shame about their tax record though.

themaltesecat Wed 10-Jul-13 09:54:53

MPs milking the allowance system were acting within the rules

Er, no, they weren't. That is why many had to make repayments and some faced criminal prosecution for false accounting.

Amazon is the dog's bollocks, by the way.

HopALongOn Wed 10-Jul-13 09:50:51

They don't pay there tax because our government and laws make it possible for them to avoid doing so. As much as I think they have a social responsibility to pay their share of tax, legally they are.

If we have loopholes in systems like this, then we can't exactly go crying about it when people use it.

And Amazon are not the reason loads of councils are cutting services. It's because those services are not seen as a priority by our cunty cunty government.

UnexpectedStepmum Wed 10-Jul-13 09:43:35

Really, Techno?? £7bn sales in the UK and no corporation tax is "right?"

To all the tax aviodance apologists - MPs milking the allowance system were acting within the rules, but I bet you weren't making excuses for them because they don't deliver cheap stuff to you

In answer to Mike: rights come with responsibilties. If a very rich company, or even individual, uses every loophole available to reduce the amount of tax they pay, who makes up the difference? The rest of us pay more, and the government cuts benefits to people with disabilities, Sure Tart, legal aid, the armed forces, the police, child benefit, public sector obs and pay, etc., etc. There is a moral imperative to pay your dues so more vulnerable people don't suffer, even if only because one day the vulnerable person might be you.

Of course the government should be sorting this, by the way. That's why we should get rid of this government.

Technotropic Wed 10-Jul-13 08:50:10

Bollocks, they are paying the right amount of tax.

YANBU to love Amazon. I still shop with them and will do while they continue to offer excellent service.

HappyGirlNow Wed 10-Jul-13 08:42:44

I agree! Although my bank balance may not.

CarpeVinum Wed 10-Jul-13 08:42:30

I don't.

They have recinded the over 25 quid super saver free delivery to Italy. Trying to force us to use craptastic Amazon.fucking.useless.it

I am crosso mucho. If I wanted 1% of the choice, for twenty times the price, a 500% increase in wrong/lost/arriving three weeks too late/damaged stuff I'd go to amazon.it off my own bat.

BASTARDS!

Jestrin Wed 10-Jul-13 08:41:07

I love Amazon too. They sell everything, from the seeds of change curry sauce that I can't find in Sainsburys or Tesco anymore to the reeds my daughters saxophone needs!

I wish they'd get the tax situation sorted out though....

MikeLitoris Argentina Wed 10-Jul-13 08:35:14

Oh come on, how many of us would pay more tax than we legally had to?

Its the govt responsibility to close these ridiculous loopholes.

Yanbu op. Brilliant customer service that so many other companies should take notice of.

What dojo said. They pay what they are legally obliged to pay, much like the rest of us. I would support changes to tax law but that's the responsibility of the government.

Amazon are always excellent,low prices and great service.

CloudsAndTrees Wed 10-Jul-13 08:24:27

YANBU.

When I broke my kindle due to my own stupidity, they replaced it with all my books on free of charge.

I don't blame companies or individuals for using tax loopholes, it's up to the government to ensure it can't happen.

AtYourCervix Croatia Wed 10-Jul-13 08:21:32

I love Amazon. They sell everything. Delivery is quick. Returns easy. And the Kindle support is the best customer service.

It is the Government's fault they can use tax loopholes.

DoJo Wed 10-Jul-13 08:12:09

See, I find the whole tax thing tricky - I see it as our government's duty to strengthen the law to ensure that companies cannot avoid tax rather than expect companies to pay more tax than they are legally obliged to.

ThreeEyedRaven Wed 10-Jul-13 07:58:08

YABVU.

They don't pay their tax, we're having tonnes of council services closed due to the recession. Their tax would go a long way to supporting the services that are in trouble.

Boycotting them is the inly sensible way forward, not praising them.

BrokenBanana Wed 10-Jul-13 07:46:48

*seem

BrokenBanana Wed 10-Jul-13 07:46:27

I'm with unexpected on this one. I just can't use them if they insist on not paying tax. At least Starbucks realised they needed to change, amazon don't see to care!

NewAtThisMalarky Wed 10-Jul-13 06:33:53

Yabu.

I always thought the same, until I had a problem with an £150 kindle just 2 weeks out of the 1 year warranty, and looking online it was a common fault.

The line they took was they thought that a year for £150 was good value. They offered a refurb with a three month warranty for £50 - At that point I could get a new one (different version) with a years warranty for £60.

I'm currently using the app on my phone and am considering Kobo or Nook.

UnexpectedStepmum Wed 10-Jul-13 06:23:58

YABU. They have systematically avoided paying the right level of tax on the UK. This is not a minor issue, they have defrauded us of millions and because this government is in bed with big business they are making the NHS, disabled people, young children and the entire public sector pay the price. I am boycotting Amazon, Vodafone and the other stealing gits until they pay their dues. DD can read paper books.

NatashaBee Wed 10-Jul-13 01:31:12

Yup, can't fault them, their customer service is fantastic.

imademarion Wed 10-Jul-13 00:53:19

I agree.

My DD cracked the screen by accident at school, was heartbroken.

They had replaced it within 24 hours free of charge.

dementedmumof6 Tue 09-Jul-13 23:52:52

While on holiday I broke my daughter's kindle, and because it was an old style one wasn't hooked up to an amazon account just an email address and bank card.

I then couldn't get any of the books off it onto the new one, so I just had an online chat message with a member of staff, who then called me, and 10mins later my daughter now has all of her books back.

I know they don't pay enough tax or anything but there customer service has been brilliant.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now