aibu to teach my DC to go up the steps and down the slide?

(65 Posts)
PrincessScrumpy Tue 09-Jul-13 18:12:13

Really trivial.
I always taught dd1 to do this and not climb up the slide. Now she's 5 and I do let her climb her slide at home but not in front of younger siblings or when at a park. Today I took dtds to the park (22mo) and was teaching them this. It was a fairly tall slide but they were doing well. Then lots of other dc arrived with their parents (all around 3yo) and it soon became apparent I was the only one who deemed this important and one parent accused me of spoiling the fun.
I might well be being a bit precious about this rule - to me it's partly about safety and partially about turn taking and allowing dc to get down the slide.
Happy to go with MN jury if you deem me to bu, i'm truly not sure.
Thanks in advance.

yegodsandlittlefishes Tue 09-Jul-13 21:08:21

YANBU and it always used to annoy me that the children who went up the slide and never really finished their go and let someone else have a turn were the ones who had slides at home. Their parents seemed to think that everyone had a garden and the space and money for a slide. They didn't seem to realise that social interactions at a public playground are full of opportune moments to teach a child to be a decent, fine upstanding member of the human race while enjoying others' fun as well as ones own.

Take heart, their children don't grow up clever, talented, friendly or able to hold a conversation. More money than sense and photogenic (but only for still shots, no one would want to watch a video of them.) OK, I made all that up, imagining that's what they would be like 10 years on! grin

YANBU. As PP said, you can't slide up!

I teach DD (3.1) to go up the steps and down the slide, and wait her turn. I'm surprised at how many children do go up the slide, but usually they're unsupervised, so you can't much about that - even the best behaved children are likely to test the rules when they think they're not being watched.

I learnt the hard way about not climbing up, anyway. When I was about 6, I was climbing up the slide, and a bigger kid wanted to slide down. Obviously, being a slide he decided he had right of way (I suppose that was the logic anyway, in hindsight), so I got knocked off the slide and broke my arm. Lesson learned!

TiggyD Tue 09-Jul-13 21:11:37

Up the ladder and then down the slide. It's the way Jesus would have done it...while he was sulking because he couldn't get the paddling pool to work.

threepiecesuite Tue 09-Jul-13 21:13:20

I never let DD climb the slide, she's 3.5. It's not what was intended for that piece of equipment, and could be dangerous. I don't care if that makes me a killjoy.

Sunnymeg Tue 09-Jul-13 21:18:47

YADNBU I once saw a lad in my class break both legs by doing this when we were 8. He climbed up a high slide and was very near the top when a child came down the slide at full speed and took his legs out from under him . It was truly gruesome. We had to run to his house to get his Mum, no mobile phones in those days. His sister threw up when she saw him. He was in a plaster cast and in hospital for about 3 months. Even now it gives me the chills if I see a child climbing up a slide.

MyHumpsMyLovelyBabyBumps Tue 09-Jul-13 21:20:07

yanbu and those parents will be the First to complain when your child kicks their child in the face

TheOriginalSteamingNit Tue 09-Jul-13 21:22:55

YANBU, always up the steps and down the slide. Not so bad in this weather, but muddy footprints all over the slide for everyone else's trousers are annoying!

littlemissmagic Tue 09-Jul-13 21:27:53

Yanbu - I do not let my kids climb up at all as I think its confusing for them to be able to climb up sometimes and not other times. I watch them as much as I can in the playground but the older ones are allowed off in the gated bit while I'm with the little un - I keep my eye on them but its so hard to constantly watch everyone! I'd rather know that they will not climb up slides the minute I look away - hence we have a blanket rule! Generally the older ones are v good at taking turns, waiting etc - they know that they will have to stay with me at the baby equipment otherwise!

YANBU, I always taught my children not to climb the slide for all the reasons already mentioned. It's confusing for them to able to do so at certain times and not at others, dirty footprints up the slide are not so great for those children using the slide as a slide, it can be dangerous (I've also seen children get injured when another child slides down), it causes queues and problems for other children etc, etc.

PrincessScrumpy Tue 09-Jul-13 22:54:11

Wow, really nice to find that I'm not on my own. I left the park doubting myself.
I did smile at Girliefriend's comment that she never had to teach her dc as it is just common sense. Maybe my dc aren't as bright as yours but at 22mo they are generally lacking common sense and dtd2 has no fear when it comes to agility.... do any toddler's have common sense? haha

LiegeAndLief Tue 09-Jul-13 22:59:03

Mine are allowed to climb up the slide on the condition that no other child is on any part of the slide. So if another child has one toe n the bottom rung of the ladder, they have to stop.

We have a smallish little tikes slide at home and the steps are rarely used...

JollyShortGiant Tue 09-Jul-13 23:07:05

DS is 2.3 and I have never let him climb a slide. Even at soft play. He came down a slide on Saturday and caught another child who had decided to climb up it. It was a twirly slide so DS just didn't see her. She was fine, but a bit more wary after that!

I'm intrigued by the child who can climb a slide but not climb steps. Surely it is far more difficult to climb a slide?

I've also taught DS to go down slides feet first on his tummy. This seems to utterly confuse some adults. To the extent that a grandparent corrected him recently saying he was doing it wrong. But it seems to me that he's far less likely to get injured doing it that way than if he were sitting up and could fall backwards.

TarkaTheOtter Tue 09-Jul-13 23:08:13

I let me 17 month old climb up the slide (often the steps are too big for her). I do remove her if it looks like someone wants to come down. Looking forward to her being able to manage the steps so I don't have to helicopter so much.

WouldBeHarrietVane Tue 09-Jul-13 23:17:41

My DS (2) is never allowed to go up the slide. It's stupid to climb up where people are likely to be hurtling down on you feet first. Also it's antisocial - prevents flow of turn taking and makes slide wet, muddy and not as slippery (grit/dust).

I am amazed by the number of people letting children slowly climb up slides while DS just sits there patiently waiting his turn. Often these children have slid down, climbed back up again and then slid down again all while he is waiting hmm

IneedAyoniNickname Tue 09-Jul-13 23:25:16

I'm intrigued by the child who can climb a slide but not climb steps. Surely it is far more difficult to climb a slide?

I wondered the same!

MortifiedAdams Tue 09-Jul-13 23:30:55

DD is Not Allowed to climb the slide. Kids who climb the slide piss me off and parents who let their kids do it piss me off even more.

I dont want your muddy footprints on the slide or you climbing up when others want to come down.

I have been known to call out to random children [and my own] who are waiting for some little hooligan to stop climbing up "Down you come, dont worry about them, they shouldnt be there anyway".

TarkaTheOtter Tue 09-Jul-13 23:44:55

My dd has been able to climb up since before she could walk whereas the steps are still too tall. In some cases there are no steps just a ladder, which she would have no chance at.
Fortunately the playgrounds we go to are quiet and it is easy to stop her getting in other children's way.

aldiwhore Tue 09-Jul-13 23:48:22

I teach my children to do what they want with our own garden furniture, the slide becomes a den, or a barrier, in an assault course it's strictly forbidden to go DOWN the slide.

But in a public park, when playing with others or alongside them, you always go UP the ladders and DOWN the snakes.

It's a simple rule and causes no confusion.

YANBU.

greenbananas Wed 10-Jul-13 00:02:59

Is it just me that thinks this thread is very funny?

Every child wants to climb up the slide. This is okay if there is nobody waiting to come down. Most mums have wet wipes in their handbags to clean off muddy footprints. All children must learn to take turns, and children who have climbed the ladder to come down the slide should always take priority.

I love mumsnet because these very simple social rules are talked about here grin

ElectricSheep Wed 10-Jul-13 00:05:10

Hmmm helicopter anyone?

bugsybill Wed 10-Jul-13 00:06:01

I only let my dc go up the slide u they are the only ones in the slide. Once there are other children they need to move out the way and take turns by taking the steps, safety issues pointed out to them.

Quangle Wed 10-Jul-13 00:13:30

Totally helicopter grin

My children are allowed to play on the equipment however they like as long as they take turns and don't moan. Those are the only rules I apply.
As for worrying about muddy slides...I just don't.

Notafoodbabyanymore Wed 10-Jul-13 00:52:30

I don't think it's helicopter parenting to teach your kids consideration for others. When they're little they cant follow rules with heaps of exceptions, ie you can climb up the slide except when it's muddy and except when there's someone else using it. Easier just to teach up the ladder, down the slide.

I have also been known to tell other kids to stop climbing up the slide in a busy playground. Don't know what their parents thought, but don't particularly care. Children need to learn that life is not all about them and whatever they feel like doing.

MrsMook Wed 10-Jul-13 01:11:17

DS (2.6) hasn't climbed up the slide in the local playground. He did however feel rather inspired at a bigger playground by the big children going up the cobbled slope that the slide is set into. I was sat a few metres away, but by the time I forced my legs into co-operating (5wks post-birth, PGP still problematic) he was a good way up. I concluded he was safer being allowed to continue undistracted, and falling was most likely to be sliding on his belly. I was relieved when he got to the top- so was the crowd of onlookers that he'd attracted. The curious thing is he's quite careful about risk assessment, and will only go down the slide on his belly, feet first. Won't attempt to sit!

Anyway- up the steps and down the slide- yes. It's normally too busy to escape inconveniencing others.

DuelingFanjo Wed 10-Jul-13 01:38:36

My ds (2. 6) also likes to climb up the cobbledy bit at the side of the slide, it causes a lot of parents to rush forward and try to help him but he's pretty agile and to be honest I think that's normal for the age. I feel the same as everyone here, climbing up the slide is fine if it's empty vbut not safe or fair if other kids are trying to use it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now