.... to think that cake smashes are utterly ridiculous??

(127 Posts)
honey86 Tue 09-Jul-13 17:59:53

my niece had a very expensive cake... a princess castle that was so well made and my sil went through so much trouble to bring it 25 miles to her party in my town..
refused to cut it or give anyone a slice saying she wanted to get it home untouched..... then let her destroy it... she did everything to it other than eat it....

i might sound boring here but i just find it an utter waste to blow that sort of money on something that will be wrecked in minutes shock

when i was a kid i was neglected, i was lucky if i got fed a pot noodle for my dinner. so i cant help but be abit shock when i see kids nowadays having so much money and expensive things at their disposal...

i heard its an american craze... but if it must happen, why not a cheapie cake thrown together rather than a beautiful expensive one?! i just dont understand it blush

slightlysoupstained Wed 10-Jul-13 17:14:27

My SIL's dress came from a charity shop, it went back again afterwards. It was a gorgeous dress, nice to think of something that someone somewhere had put so much time into giving pleasure to other women.

I can see the point that when you've donated something, that's it, you don't get a say any more, but part of the point is that the fabric and labour costs that go into that one item are pretty substantial, and you may not feel good about burning that much of the planet up for 1 day's wear. If dress wrecking became common, and I wanted to pass a dress on, I wouldn't give it to a charity shop if I knew it was likely to get wrecked. That would mean both the charity and women who genuinely wanted a lovely dress would miss out.

People have a variety of different motivations for giving to charity. It seems strange to dismiss some of them as somehow less valid.

eccentrica Wed 10-Jul-13 17:02:58

cosy she wasn't talking to the woman in the shop, she was braying about it to her equally annoying friend. But doing it so loudly that everyone in the shop could hear her.

No one is disputing she had the right to do it, just like anyone has the right to smash up an expensive cake if they've paid for it. That doesn't make it right though.

personally I found it really distasteful and rude. If karma was real she'd find herself a few years down the line unable to afford a dress to get married in. Unfortunately, class and money being what it is, chances of that are pretty much zero.

orangepudding Wed 10-Jul-13 16:52:30

I know someone who shares her pictures on face who photographs these. It is so tacky, also the cakes she uses look like they are full of artificial colours which puts me off even more.

Cake Smashing shock

Dress Wrecking shock

I suddenly feel very old.

FrenchRuby Wed 10-Jul-13 16:47:53

I'm a photographer and have had soooo many requests to do a 'smash the cake' shoot, I always say no, I think it's a horrible waste and unessissarily messy.

cosydressinggown Wed 10-Jul-13 16:44:52

The cake smash thing is hideous - I've seen pics on a photographer's facebook page and I think the babies look gross covered in cake, and the waste really bothers me. I just truly don't get how this is a nice thing to do or a nice thing to have pictures of.

I disagree about the wedding dress, though. Previous owner might have hoped someone else would enjoy it on their wedding day, but it doesn't really matter. It was an item for sale, the money went to charity either way, and if someone has money and wants to buy a dress and make a gruesome fancy dress costume, that's her call. She sounds a bit ignorant talking about it with a disapproving shop lady, though.

eccentrica Wed 10-Jul-13 15:09:03

Neo I think you missed my point, I'm not saying that the previous owner was attached to it.

I'm saying that dress could have been bought by someone for their own wedding, meaning they could have a beautiful wedding dress they couldn't otherwise afford. Rather than wasted by some spoilt brats throwing muck all over it for a few minutes' lame amusement. I would guess that the owner donated it hoping that it would go to better use than that.

That's obviously wasteful, just as much as smashing up a cake.

All of the examples on this thread are really unpleasant, are we raising a generation even more wasteful and narcissistic than the last?!

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 10-Jul-13 13:05:43

Actually my BIL did this at my nieces first birthday...she had a lovely big cake, we did the candles and singing and then he positioned the cake so that she could slam her hands into it.

Everyone was hmm but he was all "It's her cake."

Weird bastard. Nobody wanted to eat it after that!

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 10-Jul-13 13:02:43

Eccentirica I personally see nothing wrong with covering a used wedding dress in blood for fancy dress. The previous owner has donated it...they can't be attached! It's re-use...recycling if you will. Smashing food up is just wasteful.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 10-Jul-13 13:01:17

The message being "You can smash your cake up but as you're a girl you have to clean up...boys don't." WTAF?

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 10-Jul-13 13:00:46

I can't see how the pictures of the children covered in icing are "cute" or "gorgeous". They just look messy. The FB page someone linked to is SO annoying too....all the girls have pink cakes and all the boys have blue ones and the little girls have a bloody pink Henry hoover in their shots! Arses.

SamuelWestsMistress Wed 10-Jul-13 12:55:48

I can't believe people actually let their children do this! What a stupid waste. Yet another ridiculous fashion that hopefully will pass!

Abra1d Wed 10-Jul-13 12:34:34

That poor woman in the charity shop. I would have found that distressing, too.

What a way to encourage another generation of yobs.

This is mad. YANBU.

However I now really, really want cake. For this, YABU. angry

eccentrica Wed 10-Jul-13 12:26:28

Horrible.

The wedding dress thing reminds me of being in a charity shop once, when I lived in a very studenty town.

It was around Halloween. A very posh student girl came in and bought a beautiful wedding dress that was in the window for about £20. She and her friend were braying about how she was going to be a zombie bride or something, and they were going to wreck the dress and cover it with fake blood. It was going to be hilarious.

The woman in the shop seemed quite distressed by it. It was horrible because someone had kindly donated it, which could have made the perfect wedding dress for someone who couldn't afford a new one, and instead it was just going to be ruined by these selfish, overprivileged twats.

I didn't have a deprived childhood but I don't think you need to have suffered deprivation yourself in order for this kind of deliberate, spoilt bastard waste to leave a bad taste in the mouth.

Remotecontrolduck Wed 10-Jul-13 12:07:03

Genuinely not sure how baby led weaning and this could even be compared?

It's just not the same is it, unless you or I have misunderstood?

Crinkle77 Wed 10-Jul-13 12:01:08

sounds like a complete and utter waste. what is the point of a birthday cake if you're not going share it with family and friends. I don't think it teaches children a very good lesson either.

Badvoc Wed 10-Jul-13 11:57:27

Wtaf?

PerchedOnMyPeddleStool Wed 10-Jul-13 11:51:15

OP, I was with you agreeing with you, nodding along and tutting even.

Until you said she can't afford to come to your baby shower....

Cake smashing is nonsense, baby showers are nonsense. Just different types of nonsense.

melika Wed 10-Jul-13 11:32:13

yeah, and I don't get bride and groom trying to smear each other in cake. After spending all morning doing hair and makeup I would be furious. Very childish IMO.

Mumsyblouse Wed 10-Jul-13 11:24:42

I don't like this as to me, the whole point of a cake, is to share it with everyone. That's the fun- the singing together, the blowing out of candles, waiting your turn for your piece, all negated if you give the child their own mini-cake just to show off making a mess.

specialsubject Wed 10-Jul-13 11:17:48

trash the dress and waste the food?

boy, do we need another war...

curlew Wed 10-Jul-13 10:10:47

"Interesting that on a forum where BLW is considered to be so fucking fantastic that people are against a baby doing that to a small cake on their birthday!!"

What a very strange thing to say!

Bogeyface Wed 10-Jul-13 10:01:23

BLW is a child learning to feed itself. The cake smashing that I have found on t'internet is an large sugar and food colouring filled cake that is destroyed on the basis that it looks cute on photos.

How on earth is there any similarity between the two?!

yoshipoppet Wed 10-Jul-13 09:54:18

I am utterly bewildered by this. Have never heard of cake smashing and it seems almost sacriligeous.
Cake is special, cake is yummy, cake is to be savoured. Not smashed up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now