.... to think that cake smashes are utterly ridiculous??

(127 Posts)
honey86 Tue 09-Jul-13 17:59:53

my niece had a very expensive cake... a princess castle that was so well made and my sil went through so much trouble to bring it 25 miles to her party in my town..
refused to cut it or give anyone a slice saying she wanted to get it home untouched..... then let her destroy it... she did everything to it other than eat it....

i might sound boring here but i just find it an utter waste to blow that sort of money on something that will be wrecked in minutes shock

when i was a kid i was neglected, i was lucky if i got fed a pot noodle for my dinner. so i cant help but be abit shock when i see kids nowadays having so much money and expensive things at their disposal...

i heard its an american craze... but if it must happen, why not a cheapie cake thrown together rather than a beautiful expensive one?! i just dont understand it blush

DesperatelySeekingSedatives Tue 09-Jul-13 18:26:43

YANBU what a waste that sounds. Why do they need a whole cake (even a small one) to make a mess for cute pictures? Both my DC only had a fist sized piece of their first birthday cakes (their fists not mine!) and made plenty of mess with that which made some very cute pictures. They even got some in their mouths too if i recall grin

imademarion Tue 09-Jul-13 18:28:06

I think it is more 'normal' to have the main cake, then a smaller smash cake.

Did I just fall into a parallel universe of wanton waste or am I just a humourless old crab crawling towards the end of term?

It sickens me too, I make my toddler a tiny smash cake and a proper cake for guests.

And actually I had this happen to me, but it was slightly different. I'm a cake maker and I made my friend's wedding cake for her as a present, she requested a massive four-tier spectacular with sugar roses and vines cascading down the side. Fine I thought, I was honoured to contribute to her big day and if it helped her with the cost side of things, even better. It was bloody beautiful, I spent hours on it.

She didn't cut it. She didn't give any one of her 150 guests a slice to eat or take home. She took the whole thing home for herself, her husband and their parents to share amongst themselves. IT WAS MEANT TO SERVE 150 PEOPLE! IT WAS MASSIVE!

And it went to rot in her fridge. Gutted.

I hasten to add that my toddler gets most of his smash cake in his mouth, as per its intention.

nemno Tue 09-Jul-13 18:35:36

I have never heard of this, it's totally bonkers.

Wibblypiglikesbananas Tue 09-Jul-13 18:36:28

I moved to the US last year and have a toddler DD so we have been to our fair share of 'smash cake' parties over the last 12 months. I think it's a hideous tradition. Every party we've been to, there's been a smaller cake for the baby to smash and then a larger one for the guests to share.

I think the message it sends out is so wrong - food is there to be played with/wasted?!? And all the while, family and friends clap and cheer along?!? I've found every single one sickening TBH, and it's made me think differently about the parents of the child whose party it's been. It does seem to be an increasing trend here though - so maybe there's some culture shock going on...

ChocHobNob Tue 09-Jul-13 18:39:55

I've just realised this happened accidentally at my son's first party. When we were all singing Happy Birthday he stuck his hand in the cake and shoved a handful in his mouth. We ate it afterwards though.

I too have never heard of this tradition before. YANBU thinking it is odd to do it with the big, main, professionally made cake. How bizarre and what a waste of money! Plus a party with no birthday cake shared out! What madness is this?!

raisah Tue 09-Jul-13 18:40:22

What a waste of good food & money especially in this economic climate with people suffering genuine hardship. It is such an offensive & inmoral thing to do on so many levels. Your neice will grow up not knowing the price nor value of anything in life with a mother like that. Such a shame.

Bogeyface Tue 09-Jul-13 18:41:26

WTF?!

As if there isnt enough food waste around the world, some complete fuckwits think that making a cake only for it to be smashed to pieces is a good idea?!

Words fail me at the utter stupidity of some people, and yes I include anyone on this thread who has done it too.

Preciousbane Tue 09-Jul-13 18:43:29

Hideous on many levels, I just can't understand at all.

middleagedspread Tue 09-Jul-13 18:47:53

I've never heard of this, it all sounds very odd.
Am I right I'm thinking it's for the photo, so no one gets to eat the cake?

Mind you, someone told me a similar thing about wedding dresses. Ruining it during the reception I think. Very confusing.

honey86 Tue 09-Jul-13 18:47:58

if it was a little cheapie cake it wouldnt be so bad... but the cake... the maker had obvs gone to alot of trouble, there was even lace effect iced on the castle doors, and sparkly towers, with ivy climbing on the side. yeah she had it displayed as you walked through the hall... she even got paranoid if any other kids went near it...
i know i sound personal here, but coming from someone who went to bed hungry on a daily basis as a child , it makes me abit angry to see ppl being so wasteful and taking elaborate things for granted...

i dont see the harm in letting kids get messy with a bit of cake but.... a whole cake? an expensive cake? shock

that was bout a month ago... and she's now saying she cant come to my baby shower... cos shes skint and cant afford the train fare blush

I don't think there's anything wrong with it if it's a tiny, toddler-sized portion of a cake and it gets eaten. I'm talking about something the size of a cupcake. Where's the harm? The child gets to have fun with a bit of cake.

The cinderella example above is just ridiculous, why would you waste a good sized cake like that? Why put work into making it beautiful just for it to be smashed by small hands?

LittleprincessinGOLDrocks Tue 09-Jul-13 18:52:12

Not the same, but I made FIL a large VW campervan cake (to feed all 100 guests) for his 50th birthday party.
He didn't cut it or give any cake out. It was basically used as a centre piece ornament.
He took it home and he and only he (as his wife doesn't like cake) ate about 4 slices and binned the rest.
I will never make him a cake ever again, it was such a waste of my time and money.

Bogeyface Tue 09-Jul-13 19:12:31

I never understood the "trash the dress" concept either.. But then I suppose at least it is something that wont be used any other way than for a wedding and as most dresses end up languishing in the attic until the kids dress up in it, its not so bad. It was at least used for its purpose once, but this cake was just totally wasted.

LeGavrOrf Tue 09-Jul-13 19:15:59

That's such a crazy thing to do. Have never understood brides and grooms smooshing cake into each other's faces either. What a vile thing to do. And for a child it is even worse. What kind of values does this teach?

Bogeyface Tue 09-Jul-13 19:21:26

Didnt it start as the B&G feeding each other some cake as a symbol of.....something(!) and degenerating into the shoving into each others faces?

Doobiedoobedoobie Tue 09-Jul-13 19:25:14

It seems very odd but I'm not convinced it's the epitomy of everything that's wrong with the first world as some people seem to be making out it is confused

It's a bit messy and wasteful and tbh woukd turn my stonach a bit but ultimately... Well. It's just cake! Could never have done it with Dds, they'd have eaten the whole bloody cake, even at that age, gannets that they are.

Bogeyface Tue 09-Jul-13 19:31:37

Actually I think it is Doobie

It demonstrates perfectly the attitude that many first worlders have of "me first, fuck everyone else". Food waste in the UK is disgusting when there are growing shortages in many staples, that will lead to everyone having to cut back on essentials. Wastage like this just makes the problem worse.

Thats before you consider poverty in the UK and the rest of the world....

TimeofChange Tue 09-Jul-13 19:36:59

They Smash the Cake in Oz too.
Also Trash the Dress (wedding).
I think they do that in the evening of the wedding day.
How bizarre.

flippinada Tue 09-Jul-13 19:43:19

What an utterly disgusting waste of money and food. Absolutely disgusting.

I assume anyone who thinks this is funny or cute has been lobotomised?

JADS Tue 09-Jul-13 19:44:24

WTAF YANBU

What a ridiculous wasteful idea, sounds like the new Trash the dress craze. My 2.5 year old is a terrible food dropper/ smusher but even he is old enough to realise wasting cake is wrong!

I bet it was a dummy cake. She could not cut it as then it would be obvious that it was not actually cake.

timidviper Tue 09-Jul-13 19:54:42

Sounds ridiculous and selfish, I'm glad mine are grown up!

How are children going to learn about manners with food if encouraged to do this from an early age. We had some friends who thought it was funny to let their youngest pull faces on photos when she was little, years later all their friends and family still have photos spoiled by this girl who really should be old enough to know better.

crashdoll Tue 09-Jul-13 20:27:43

I agree that YANBU with such an elaborate cake but I think it's sweet when a toddler gets to explore their own (small and cheapy) cake. They won't appreciate a £100 princess cake but I bet they'd love a fairy-type cake to touch and play with before eating.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now