.... to think that cake smashes are utterly ridiculous??

(127 Posts)
honey86 Tue 09-Jul-13 17:59:53

my niece had a very expensive cake... a princess castle that was so well made and my sil went through so much trouble to bring it 25 miles to her party in my town..
refused to cut it or give anyone a slice saying she wanted to get it home untouched..... then let her destroy it... she did everything to it other than eat it....

i might sound boring here but i just find it an utter waste to blow that sort of money on something that will be wrecked in minutes shock

when i was a kid i was neglected, i was lucky if i got fed a pot noodle for my dinner. so i cant help but be abit shock when i see kids nowadays having so much money and expensive things at their disposal...

i heard its an american craze... but if it must happen, why not a cheapie cake thrown together rather than a beautiful expensive one?! i just dont understand it blush

curlew Tue 09-Jul-13 18:01:29

Never heard of this- sounds repulsive in so many ways.....

AnotherWorld Tue 09-Jul-13 18:02:55

Bonkers

expatinscotland Tue 09-Jul-13 18:03:21

I'm American and have no heard of doing this. Stupid and wasteful.

As for smashing wedding cake in each other faces, the marriage would be annulled for non-consummation if any twunt did that to me.

AnotherWorld Tue 09-Jul-13 18:03:41

Although I do think it is a useful suggestion to the "competitive baking parent" threads I see on here.

How ridiculous. It sounds like a case of what my dad used to call 'more money than sense'.

NinaJade666 Tue 09-Jul-13 18:05:30

A few women I know have had a 'cake smash' photography session for their little ones, however I think they were homemade cakes (and certainly not the birthday party cake! - that got sliced and eaten at the party grin ) The photo's were kinda cute..

NinaJade666 Tue 09-Jul-13 18:06:40

https://www.facebook.com/gophotocakesmash?ref=ts&fref=ts

expatinscotland Tue 09-Jul-13 18:06:43

Sounds stupid.

flybynight Tue 09-Jul-13 18:06:49

Is the cake being transported in a pink stretch limo?

neunundneunzigluftballons Tue 09-Jul-13 18:07:43

We have a lovely picture of my American niece on her first birthday doing this. There is a sequence of her seeing her admittedly small dora cake, being delighted and finally putting her face into it She was one after all. Vey cute and since it was a family party they even had the cake after no biggie.

expatinscotland Tue 09-Jul-13 18:11:04

Putting your child's face in a cake. Yep, very funny. Funny as a maggot sandwich.

scarletforya Tue 09-Jul-13 18:11:32

YANBU

Wasting food is immoral imho.

PoppyWearer Tue 09-Jul-13 18:14:26

I've seen photos of American friends' (plural) DCs doing this, but always with two cakes, for the first birthday. One big cake for the party guests to share, and one small cake for the baby to smash.

It made for some cute photos, but smashing a huge elaborate/expensive cake seems nuts.

VestaCurry Tue 09-Jul-13 18:15:22

And there are children starving in the world sad.

Fakebook Tue 09-Jul-13 18:17:31

Wtf? I would not stand for that. How absolutely wasteful. What a lovely message she's sending her dd.

honey86 Tue 09-Jul-13 18:17:41

nah this cake wasnt a little shop bought one... it was a professionally made one it was absolutely beautiful, the kindof cake you wouldnt even want to cut for fear of spoiling it.

before she went elsewhere she had asked me to make her one (i make cakes myself sometimes). im so glad i said no this time cos i wouldve been livid to have spent so much time on it just for it to end up like that lol

MikeLitoris Tue 09-Jul-13 18:18:26

I think it is more 'normal' to have the main cake, then a smaller smash cake.

Never heard of anyone using a big proper cake to do it.

I've seen some lovely pictures of little ones covered in cake.

NinaJade666 Tue 09-Jul-13 18:18:30

Scarletforya - I'm sure you NEVER EVER throw away any food whatsoever....? hmm

Mintyy Tue 09-Jul-13 18:18:36

Wtaf?

MikeLitoris Tue 09-Jul-13 18:20:27

I've seen it done with cakes like this before.

CaptainSweatPants Tue 09-Jul-13 18:20:42

I always cringe when they do this on you've been framed

Why would you spend £250 on a wedding cake, £100 in hair & make up to then go face first into the cake hmm

Mintyy Tue 09-Jul-13 18:21:59

I have never heard of this before. It just sounds utterly hideous.

TidyDancer Tue 09-Jul-13 18:23:01

I have a friend who has done this in the past few days for her DD's first birthday. IMO it's ridiculous, but she did make the cake herself at least.

Floggingmolly Tue 09-Jul-13 18:24:07

So she paraded the Princess castle cake in front of the party guests (children, presumably) then took it home to destroy rather than give them a slice?
She's a few sandwiches short of a picnic by the sound of things, poor cow sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now